Interesting Slingerland set

drumfx

Reaction score
Black satin is nice. I also found a place near me that stocks all the colors. I found some dark red/ almost burgundy stuff and re-wrapped a Gretsch kit with it. I used the gold stuff for another kit.
fullsizeoutput_6f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_3f4.jpeg

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I think that black satin flame wasn't cataloged but examples have shown up. A 5 ply set in a satin flame is unusual.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think that black satin flame wasn't cataloged but examples have shown up. A 5 ply set in a satin flame is unusual.
If you read the entire description, you'll see that this is a re-wrapped kit. Slingerland never had a Black Satin Flame, but they did have an uncatalogued Charcoal Satin Flame! I have a 60's Salesman's Sample of available wraps, which includes Charcoal Satin Flame!

-Mark

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you read the entire description, you'll see that this is a re-wrapped kit. Slingerland never had a Black Satin Flame, but they did have an uncatalogued Charcoal Satin Flame! I have a 60's Salesman's Sample of available wraps, which includes Charcoal Satin Flame!

-Mark
Oh... didn't read the copy. Yes, it was that charcoal I was referring to.
Thought a satin flame 5 ply seemed wrong.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Oh... didn't read the copy. Yes, it was that charcoal I was referring to.
Thought a satin flame 5 ply seemed wrong.
I'm not sure there were any satin flames available when the 5-ply drums came out. I'll have to go back and look at catalogs. But, yeah, satin flame with 5-ply just seems wrong!!

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Satin Flames.....I saw my first in 1969 and bought it. It's the Slingerland Lavender Flame. Years later I acquired the Gretsch Peacock Flame. On stage,under the lights, they really jump out !!!!
Dave!

Great looking satin flame kits...especially the Slingerland Lavender flame!

-Mark

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sweet! That cleaned up so nicely. You still need to put a splash on it ... :tongue5:
Thanks man. Plays nice. I use it to perform, it's a quick setup, they're already pretty scratched up, and have their spots through it, but they're great eye candy on the stage, and they sound fabulous.

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
They look fabulous!

But I would use both sets of BD spurs for safety. I remember seeing that infamous Buddy Rich performance on The Merv Griffin Show where he sat in with the house band, using their drummer's new black Slingerland concert tom kit. Suddenly, one of the single spurs failed, and the bass drum and the toms all rolled over diagonally! Buddy finished the set though!

Latest posts