Interesting story about the trixxon drum set.

Drm1979

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I've seen the trixxon drum set before and was always curious behind why the bass drum was shaped the way it was. I decided to finally research it to find out why the bass drum looks like its melting and its because in the original design it had a divider in the middle of the bass drum and it was intended to be played with a double pedal to create 2 different pitches within the same drum. Similar to ginger bakers at up where he uses 2 different sized bass drums. Anyway I found the below article very interesting.

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great article. I had no idea of the Zildjian connection and how they came together. Crazy!

That kit, the Speedfire, is actually back again in a remake by Vox. The bass drum looks exactly the same, but it's no longer chambered, but I believe you can move the pedal left or right for a different sounds.

It always reminded me of something George Jetsons boy Elroy would play! :)

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
"Originally, the tension casings had a fluted teardrop design very similar to ’50s-’60s Sonor lugs (to this day a debate rages on about how involved Sonor was in Trixon’s manufacture)"

The other untold connection story is when Trixon began winding down in the 70s, some of those folks ended up at Sonor. This influx of new ideas is rumored to have influenced Sonors move from 6 ply beach Teardrop shells into the thick Phonics 1975 and heavy square Signatures by 1980.

The landfill story never gets old.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Reaction score
I believe the remake that Jimmysticks mentioned is made by Korg. I think they bought the rights. And if you read the reviews at stores from where people bought them, they say they are bottom of the line quality. And what amazes me is that they are super expensive and people went out and bought these kits. I guess it's people who wanted to relive owning these drums again.

drumgadget

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
And here I thought that the Trixon shape was the result of an accident similar to the one that ALMOST befell my Rogers 20x14 at a restaurant gig way back in the '60s: a very inebriated, very large woman SAT DOWN on my bass drum while "dancing" ...... !

LOL ....... of course .........

Luckily, she did not cut herself on my ride cymbal ...... and the bass drum did not collapse, thanks to re-rings and that great solid Rogers construction!

Mike

LauraCai

Reaction score
I have a Trixon Speedfire 007-5 drum set from the 50’s with the teardrop lugs. The bass drum still has the divider in it. Recently purchased a Trixon metal snare drum from one of the members here to go with it.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had the Trixon "Telstar" set, which looked like 1960s Communications Satellites . If was the coolest thing ever.

Latest posts