Internal kick drum mic mount?

texasshawn16

Reaction score
I just tripped over my kick drum mic stand for the last time!!!! The other half of my music room is also my office so I'm always stubbing my toe on my kick drum mic stand while going to & from my desk and I'm done with it. I just looked online and am either going to order the gibraltar sc-gbdimm internal mic mount or the Kelly SHU suspended internal mic mount. The Kelly SHU is twice as much as the gilbraltor and have no problem paying it if it's worth the extra money. Does anyone on here use either of these and could help me with the pros and cons?? Thank you in advance!!!!

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Use the Kelly shu on both sets of Rogers Big R. Position around the pole took some imagination, but works well. Total isolation from the shell. Found some of the bass mic connections could be an issue to place without interference from any mount.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Gibraltar has no isolation whatsoever save for a thin rubber layer. Not sure if pedal noise or vibrations from a tom mounted on the bass would transfer into the mic (I might try all that out in summer going back to bass-mounted toms). In any case, the signal from the bass drum itself should be much louder. When I used one live, the engineer didn't have any complaints, but that was indeed a very loud, resonant drum acoustically.

Ghostin one

Reaction score
I suppose the Gibraltar is a junior version of the old Randall May internal mics, now sold through DW (for really big bucks). The new May /DW mic mounts appear to have shock mounts:

I never had any problems with the older MAY EA system with no shock mounting, so I'm guessing the Gibraltar would work for most situations.

Nowadays I'm using a homemade version of the Kelly shu. The xlr jack is at about a five o'clock position on the bass drum - out of the way and almost invisible.

Last edited:

texasshawn16

Reaction score
The Gibraltar has no isolation whatsoever save for a thin rubber layer. Not sure if pedal noise or vibrations from a tom mounted on the bass would transfer into the mic (I might try all that out in summer going back to bass-mounted toms). In any case, the signal from the bass drum itself should be much louder. When I used one live, the engineer didn't have any complaints, but that was indeed a very loud, resonant drum acoustically.
My toms are rack mounted but I did put a cymbal arm into the 3/4 tom mount hole and put my splash on it.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My toms are rack mounted but I did put a cymbal arm into the 3/4 tom mount hole and put my splash on it.
I don't think a typical thin, small splash will have any low end to transfer into the mic. Could be different with a bigger, heavier cymbal. I might make some test recordings with both toms and cymbal mounted to the bass drum, but only in August.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I recently installed a Kelly Shu in a bass drum and am quite pleased with it. I'd probably buy more of them if the need arises.
I have a homemade mount in one of my bass drums. It's a short gooseneck that hangs down from the tom mount bracket using those same mounting bolts. I put a quick connect on the end and did not leave the mic in place during transport (there was a hole in the front head for access). It works fine and I never had an issue as far as isolation. The Kelly is pretty slick though.

You can sort of see my homemade version here in this picture (although at this gig the sound co. used their own mic). The tom mount is still functional as the mic arm is behind the hole for the downtube.

back view.JPG

texasshawn16

Reaction score
I really do appreciate everyone's reply. Before i buy any new gear i like to get ppls opinion that actually are using it. I just ordered the Kelly SHU mount. should be here by Friday.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
I use these on all of my bass drums. You just want to make sure the port is big enough for you to reach inside.

E924F875-943D-4E9E-A5C6-FFD1809274F7.jpeg

RhythmGJ

Reaction score
If you are sold on the idea, get the best one that is affordable for you. I’d like to mount an argument against it though, from an engineer/producer’s perspective. A great bass drum sound needs a little space between the mike and the drum/kick head, which you will be eliminating with internal mounting. Just my 2-pence.

GJ

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I've got a bass drum with a Kelly Shu, and one with the Gibraltar. They're both effective, but the Kelly Shu does benefit overall from the better isolation. The Gibraltar is still a good mount, but I think the Kelly Shu gives me added value for the extra bucks.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thinking about it, I would only use an internal mount with a complete front head. With a port, being able to adjust position imo trumps getting rid of the stand.

blikum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the Gibraltar on all my live kits. No noticeable vibration issues at all. Not live at least. I also have unported kick drum, so I run the XLR cable through the vent hole. Makes the engineers job very easy. I however do not use this mount in the studio because there is a slight vibration issue.

MillerMav

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I use the kelly shu and it works fine. I went back and forth between that and the gibraltar when I was making my purchase and I chose the Shu because it's a bit more flexible as far as positioning within the drum. I have no complaints, holds up great loading in/out of the gig and with an XLR wired into the shell hook up is always a breeze.

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My DIY bungee mount held up for 6 years. Finally swapped it out for a Shu. Pretty much the same hanging design.
I personally wouldn't mount a mic directly in contact with the shell. It just seems like it would react the same way a mic on a stand, and would transmit signal if you tapped it on the side.

Here is a pic of the DIY:

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another vote for the Kelly SHU system. I have them in 6 of my 10 kits. All with Shure Beta 52s. Once I installed the first one, there was no looking back.

I have a closed front head on all my kits with a little muffling inside, so mic'ing it can be tricky and some FOH engineers don't have the patience to eq it to sound as good as it can, so the Kelly SHU has been life-changing. Incredible sound every time, with every kit!

I use the no drill connection kit to run the mic cable through the air vent.

C2625B42-14C6-4202-A80E-DB5C32D56A90.jpeg

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
So this Shu thing is basically a mike suspension system? I get that, but only if the bass is non-ported. But how do you run a mike cable thru your air vent - I guess I don't know what that no drill connector is. Makes sense they have one though.

I've got a May mic in my pre-collector's DW 14x18 bass. Came that way. I Love the XLR port right on top. For most (smaller) venues I've played live, it was fine as is without miking for the type of music I do. But I've played a few larger outdoor venues and it rivals any "big" bass with the internal mike when you need it. It's solid and no rattles.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
So this Shu thing is basically a mike suspension system? I get that, but only if the bass is non-ported. But how do you run a mike cable thru your air vent - I guess I don't know what that no drill connector is. Makes sense they have one though.

I've got a May mic in my pre-collector's DW 14x18 bass. Came that way. I Love the XLR port right on top. For most (smaller) venues I've played live, it was fine as is without miking for the type of music I do. But I've played a few larger outdoor venues and it rivals any "big" bass with the internal mike when you need it. It's solid and no rattles.
MAY makes a non-drill adapter for their mic's which would work for either using the Gibraltar, Shu or any homemade job.
comes with a bracket to mount the May mic (probably could rig a homemade job to it maybe with a short mic boom) and also has short mic cable with three female ends to attach to the mic and the other end screws onto the vent hole. I have this version on one bass drum and the older version on another. The older version had a clamp for the outside of the drum and I didn't like how it mounted and left the wire exposed to be bent and eventually the wire broke. I had it resoldered and drilled a hole on the side of my bass drum for the xlr.

Attachments

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had the Kelly Shu in one of my bass drums and the dude who bought the kit from me REALLY wanted it. I haven't really had to mic my bass drum live with much consistency but I'd probably go back to it if I did.

Isn't there also a Dunnett thing that clips on to the hoop? [checks]. Yup. There is: http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stands-Hardware/Microphone-Mounts/Dunnett-RCBMH-Universal-Bass-Drum-Mic-Holder.html

I don't buy his stuff because I left that circus behind a long time ago, but it is another product that might make your life easier.

Browny

Reaction score
I had the Kelly Shu in one of my bass drums and the dude who bought the kit from me REALLY wanted it. I haven't really had to mic my bass drum live with much consistency but I'd probably go back to it if I did.

Isn't there also a Dunnett thing that clips on to the hoop? [checks]. Yup. There is: http://www.lonestarpercussion.com/Stands-Hardware/Microphone-Mounts/Dunnett-RCBMH-Universal-Bass-Drum-Mic-Holder.html

I don't buy his stuff because I left that circus behind a long time ago, but it is another product that might make your life easier.
Pretty sure Gibraltar does a goose-neck style hoop mount version & I believe DW have their hoop mount (I use them with their gullwing bass drum spurs) and a compatible mic arm/boom/adapter/thing that has a bit more adjustability.