Internal kick drum mic mount?

tlcase

Reaction score
I've gone the DIY route myself on a couple of my bass drums. It's not exactly brain surgery.

Drum Mic Suspension.jpg

OffbeatDrumCo

Reaction score
+1 to the Kelly SHU. I use it on my own personal kit and I love it.

I also added an XLR port to the side of the shell so that the engineer can just plug a mic cable into the drum without having to go fishing through the port to try to plug in the mic. But that solution may not be for everybody.

It's not shown in the pictures below, but I also use the Evans internal mufflers that velcro to the shell to prevent it from sliding around during handling. Internal kick mics can sound like a rubber dodgeball being bounced on the floor without some sort of dampening in the drum.

IMG_20170528_162522592.jpg

IMG_20170528_162905521.jpg

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
I just tripped over my kick drum mic stand for the last time!!!! The other half of my music room is also my office so I'm always stubbing my toe on my kick drum mic stand while going to & from my desk and I'm done with it. I just looked online and am either going to order the gibraltar sc-gbdimm internal mic mount or the Kelly SHU suspended internal mic mount. The Kelly SHU is twice as much as the gilbraltor and have no problem paying it if it's worth the extra money. Does anyone on here use either of these and could help me with the pros and cons?? Thank you in advance!!!!
I'm confused - glancing at the thread, I thought this for micing a drum in a live environment. In which case, the Kelly Sou type thing is probably best - but it also probably doesn't matter that much.

But this is for a stationary kit at home/office/studio??? Which means I'm assuming you are micing for recording? (If not, why have a mic at all).

So as someone else mentioned - no internal mount places the mic in a great spot for recording. Having the mic shoved in can work, but usually in conjunction with a mic totally outside the shell. By far the most common position for a single mic would be right around the capsule just at the entrance of the port hole - or a few inches further outside or a couple of inches inside.

Suggestions - they make really small stands - no boom, teeny base - that works great for this. But if that sticks out too far - how about a clamp-on mic gooseneck affixed to the reso rim. The isolation would be no worse than all of the mounts besides the Kelly Sou - and they can be had really cheap.

I'm talking one of these -

Or one of these -

texasshawn16

Reaction score
I'm confused - glancing at the thread, I thought this for micing a drum in a live environment. In which case, the Kelly Sou type thing is probably best - but it also probably doesn't matter that much.

But this is for a stationary kit at home/office/studio??? Which means I'm assuming you are micing for recording? (If not, why have a mic at all).

So as someone else mentioned - no internal mount places the mic in a great spot for recording. Having the mic shoved in can work, but usually in conjunction with a mic totally outside the shell. By far the most common position for a single mic would be right around the capsule just at the entrance of the port hole - or a few inches further outside or a couple of inches inside.

Suggestions - they make really small stands - no boom, teeny base - that works great for this. But if that sticks out too far - how about a clamp-on mic gooseneck affixed to the reso rim. The isolation would be no worse than all of the mounts besides the Kelly Sou - and they can be had really cheap.

I'm talking one of these -

Or one of these -

Thank you for the response. This thread is alittle old. It is for recording and I ended up going with the Kelly shu. I'm not going for pro level. I just like to make you tube drum videos. I have a simple 3 mic set up (one in the kick and 2 overheads) which meet my needs. I may add a snare Mic one day down the road but for the time being I'm content with the sound I'm getting

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. This thread is alittle old. It is for recording and I ended up going with the Kelly shu. I'm not going for pro level. I just like to make you tube drum videos. I have a simple 3 mic set up (one in the kick and 2 overheads) which meet my needs. I may add a snare Mic one day down the road but for the time being I'm content with the sound I'm getting
Oops I got sucked into one of those old thread traps - :) Sounds like you got it all worked out fine.