Intriguingly difficult for me

Rock Salad

Reaction score
RLLR
With R=kick, L=snare hand, quarter notes with leading hand and hi hat.
Very interesting how much more difficult this is than RRLL that I can do at least twice the speed.I find it trying to swing too, hard to keep it all evenly spaced.
I know i could probably invert it in my brainz and probably do it as fast, but that seems like it would defeat the learning that this excercise is triggering.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I hear ya on that. I'm going through a book and one section has some just about every combo of 8ths and 16th permutation exercises for the snare while playing 8ths on the HH/Ride.
At first I go through a page of them with steady quarters on bass, then go through the page again changing the bass to play on the 1 & + the 3 &, and have been surprised at how challenging some of the exercises can be to play. Partly because I wouldn't normally play the snare in that fashion or in those places and haven't heard them before (let's face it that many of these exercises aren't really "musical") so my mind is having to work hard to "make it compute."

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Classic minimal exercise that seems simple but can be hard in the beginning.
You can break this down into just the hands, or hh hand and bass drum. Leave the third limb out until you can do both two-limb versions easily.
You can even break it down to just two beats in bassdrum or left hand and one beat on the hh, in unison with the second drum beat, than pause. (maybe alternate these bits between bass drum and snare; reducing the length of the pause - voila, your complete exercise!)

Basically all "independence" is actually coordination: conceptualize very slowly at first what happens one after the other, and what happens simultaneously.

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Yes, if i do steady eighths with lead hand along with the eighth note KLLK, I can speed it way up. Also if i leave spaces i can speed way up. Even if I do hands RLLR with kick and hats doing the quarters i can speed up. Its is when that lead hand breaks off the eighth note pace that the rest get all discombobulated.
One thing about this excercise though is that it seems highly musical, which is why I'm doing it and why I wanted to mention here.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
STICK CONTROL.

page 1.

Lines 1-13.

Have fun. :hello2:

THEN
Swing it ! :twisted:

Right Hand on Ride Cymbal doing the standard jazz pattern.
R= Right Foot
L= Left hand
AND add the Left Foot on 2 & 4 (jazz hi-hat pattern)

Rock Salad

Reaction score
Thanks, not looking for more yet. And yes, it is out of the first page of "Stick Control" excercises.
Not really looking for chops or independence. This one just sounds cool and wants to bend itself into the "crack," (the place between trips and square eights.) I like that.
None of the other excercises do the same thing to my brain that this one does. I can paradiddle and L lead with no interesting side effects.

Latest posts