Intro fill into verse - Good Times Bad Times

claytronica

Reaction score
Ok - I need some knowledgeable input here - and I suspect there might be differing opinions.

Subject: Bonham's fill into the 1st verse of Good Times Bad Times.

As you might guess, there aren't many youtube videos breaking this down very well.
I think this lefty does a pretty good job (see from 1:48) - He is hearing it as all accented 16th note triplets, but no rests. (If I have that right?)

Drums aren't my primary instrument, so my opinion doesn't count for much - but in the original recording, I feel like I hear either a 16th note rest coming off the rack tom, and/or a right hand ruff of some kind - also immediately following the rack.

I know this is more about feel than however you might write it out - but I'd love for y'all to school me on this - and if you can post your own video examples, even better!

Thanks to everybody in advance.

dsop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that guy's video isn't exactly right. There's definitely a rest just before 4 of that bar. I wouldn't obsess over it though. As long as you do something in the same vein it should sound fine.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing lefty for decades, and I'm so used to watching right-handed drummers and turning it around in my head that seeing other lefties looks strange to me.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds right to me.

I've been playing lefty for decades, and I'm so used to watching right-handed drummers and turning it around in my head that seeing other lefties looks strange to me.
Doug, as a fellow lefty, I totally agree. I even think it’s strange seeing pictures or videos of me. :)

Last edited:

e.g.

Reaction score
Yeah, he's pretty much got it. That's the kind of thing that Bonham probably wouldn't have played the same way twice so I wouldn't sweat the details.
Yes, guys like Bonham, Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon played "By the Seat of their pants". If seen live, most likely would do something off the cuff, which probably wouldn't be exactly the same as they did on the recording.

Sinclair

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
and if you can post your own video examples, even better!
ummmmm.....you must think we're all in lockdown with no gigs and no honey do lists just sittin' around drinking whiskey sours waiting to make videos or something! Oh wait.....we are?!....nevermind.
Yeah, that guy's video isn't exactly right. I wouldn't obsess over it though.
Yeah but we're all in lockdown with no gigs and nothing else to do but drink whiskey sours all day and make videos... I think claytronics should obsess over this. Even stress out over it if he can't play it correctly. If drums aren't his primary instrument start practicing for gods sake. Drumming is all about the details right? He's on the right track listening to Zeppelin. One of the greatest albums ever. Come on, how does he expect to meet chics if he can't play one Bonham lick!!

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, he's pretty much got it. That's the kind of thing that Bonham probably wouldn't have played the same way twice so I wouldn't sweat the details.
+1....that's probably the one take that got used...then he, JB, had to replicate it..;)
Or else....for tape fans....that's a pretty amazing bunch of "air cuts" to piece together.
Besides the vid demo example doesn't matter anyway if one is concerned about details.....the fellow plays it trad grip......what's that all about??? Maybe it's what "chic's" are after these daze....important detail.
Now I need a whiskey sour and I don't even drink....
bt