Intro thread? Well here I am

No.15

Reaction score
Not sure if there is an intro thread or if you guys even do them here.

Just moved from FL to TN and strangely because of that I decided it was time to learn to play drums. really it's because I have more time on my hands and have always wanted to learn.

I have music experience, played sax and clarinet as a kid/teen and bass in the past. Have always messed around on the keyboard as well. Not good on any of them :)

I'll never gig but I don't care. I am pretty commited to get good on the drums. I can already tell I am going to have to ditch the e drums and go acoustic. Because of my age I might go vintage.

I'm going to ask a lot of stupid questions, sorry about that. I'll try and search what I think will be answered a million times. (probably not :) )

Name is Sean, as said just moved to TN and this is my new music room.

PXL_20211202_160346013.jpg

PXL_20211202_160402228.jpg

Dave HCV

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard. And this is exactly the right place to introduce yourself.

Never say that you'll never gig. I said that once and now I'm playing in three different bands. You never know what the future will bring.

As far as asking stupid questions, I'm sure we will all work hard to give you stupid answers.

RockrGrl

Reaction score
Welcome Sean, I was going to say its nice to have another e-kit player on the forum but....
What a great space you have, jealous!
What did you play before deciding on the drums?

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Sean, Welcome to the forum. Lots of good people with good ideas. You've come to the right place. No shortage of opinions here.

Piggpenn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Welcome, Sean. There are no stupid questions. This forum is a huge source for knowledge and there is always respect for others opinions so bring yours and get acquainted.

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome aboard! hope your move was an easy one.

great & inspiring view from your music room! play away and enjoy - lots of us started that way. The "I took lessons" folks also have plenty to share. Lots of online teachers now - not something I had starting out in 1965.

Keep us posted on how you're doing! and have fun.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well done Sean! And welcome! There are no stupid questions because we've all had the same questions probably one time in our life.

No.15

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. And this is exactly the right place to introduce yourself.

Never say that you'll never gig. I said that once and now I'm playing in three different bands. You never know what the future will bring.

As far as asking stupid questions, I'm sure we will all work hard to give you stupid answers.
Ya I understand, I guess I mean I'm OK if I just play at the house all the time. I would play to an audience if I got good enough.

Welcome Sean, I was going to say its nice to have another e-kit player on the forum but....
What a great space you have, jealous!
What did you play before deciding on the drums?
Thanks. The e kit was a great move for me. It proved to me that I want to play and it is great to practice on with headphones. My problem is when I play through an amp. I purchased such a cheap kit that it sounds terrible. Well, really its just the snare and the ride cymbal sound horrid. probably if I had spent more I would stay e drum. But since I have to upgrade I decided to go acoustic.

Many years ago I played bass, and a lifetime ago I was pretty good sax and clarinet player. Life got in the way for awhile and I did not play for decades. Now that I have me time I decided on drums. I had a friend growing up that became a pretty famous drummer and I always liked the instrument so it still inspires me.
welcome aboard! hope your move was an easy one.

great & inspiring view from your music room! play away and enjoy - lots of us started that way. The "I took lessons" folks also have plenty to share. Lots of online teachers now - not something I had starting out in 1965.

Keep us posted on how you're doing! and have fun.
Move is still in process :( LOL moving stinks.
But the view is part of the reason we moved :)
Front door view
PXL_20210506_195752907.jpg

back door
PXL_20210514_130051214.jpg

richardh253

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow...a lot of folks chose electronic drums because the neighbors complain! With that view, maybe you'll add an acoustic kit, looks like you have some distance from neighbors!

and yep, we downsized AND moved 2 years ago....it's a drag but looks like a good payoff there!

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya I understand, I guess I mean I'm OK if I just play at the house all the time. I would play to an audience if I got good enough.

Thanks. The e kit was a great move for me. It proved to me that I want to play and it is great to practice on with headphones. My problem is when I play through an amp. I purchased such a cheap kit that it sounds terrible. Well, really its just the snare and the ride cymbal sound horrid. probably if I had spent more I would stay e drum. But since I have to upgrade I decided to go acoustic.

Many years ago I played bass, and a lifetime ago I was pretty good sax and clarinet player. Life got in the way for awhile and I did not play for decades. Now that I have me time I decided on drums. I had a friend growing up that became a pretty famous drummer and I always liked the instrument so it still inspires me.

Move is still in process :( LOL moving stinks.
But the view is part of the reason we moved :)
Front door view
View attachment 531390
back door
View attachment 531391

WOW! WHAT A VIEW!!!! :love10:

Oh, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!! :hello2: