Introducing myself, my book, my website

Reaction score
Hi, my name's Chuck Braman, and I'm a jazz drummer from New York City.

Many years ago, in the late 1980s, I spent 3-years writing and self-publishing a 176-page book on rhythm and drum technique called Drumming Patterns.

At the time, the book was well-reviewed in magazines such as Modern Drummer and Downbeat and received strong endorsements from Louie Bellson, Jim Chapin, Ed Soph, and others.

However, because I moved to New York shortly after printing the book and became immersed in survival, I never promoted the book properly and it never found the audience that I believe it deserves.

My goal last year during the lockdown was to finally design and develop a great e-commerce website for the book and promote it properly. As part of this process, I recreated all of the original files to be able to make the chapters available as free and paid downloads; created a 20-minute long animated video to explain the concept behind the book and compare and contrast that concept to the rudiments and Stick Control; and created a blog where I've made available for free probably close to a hundred transcriptions of the intricate time-keeping of jazz drummers such as Roy Haynes and Paul Motian. There are also two lengthy interviews I made with Paul on the blog that some fans of his are likely already familiar with.

I'm new to this forum, and I would value and appreciate any feedback any members might be willing to share regarding the site and its content. I also hope that the community might find value in it. There is quite a lot on the site that is downloadable for free, including the first 23-pages of the book.

You can find it at https://www.drummingpatterns.com.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Many years ago, in the late 1980s, I spent 3-years writing and self-publishing a 176-page book on rhythm and drum technique called Drumming Patterns.

At the time, the book was well-reviewed in magazines such as Modern Drummer and Downbeat and received strong endorsements from Louie Bellson, Jim Chapin, Ed Soph, and others.

However, because I moved to New York shortly after printing the book and became immersed in survival, I never promoted the book properly and it never found the audience that I believe it deserves.

My goal last year during the lockdown was to finally design and develop a great e-commerce website for the book and promote it properly. As part of this process, I recreated all of the original files to be able to make the chapters available as free and paid downloads; created a 20-minute long animated video to explain the concept behind the book and compare and contrast that concept to the rudiments and Stick Control; and created a blog where I've made available for free probably close to a hundred transcriptions of the intricate time-keeping of jazz drummers such as Roy Haynes and Paul Motian. There are also two lengthy interviews I made with Paul on the blog that some fans of his are likely already familiar with.

I'm new to this forum, and I would value and appreciate any feedback any members might be willing to share regarding the site and its content. I also hope that the community might find value in it. There is quite a lot on the site that is downloadable for free, including the first 23-pages of the book.

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to checking out your concepts.

RIDDIM

DFO Master
Reaction score

Welcome!

RogersLudwig

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Chuck. You will be a great asset to the group. The book looks interesting and the comments from magazines, celebrities and readers are excellent. I look forward to seeing your posts and reading your book this weekend.

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
“The advantage of thinking in terms of fundamental patterns—as opposed to endless, arbitrary, unrelated and unconceptualized concrete individual stickings and rhythms—is that all our information becomes interrelated, reduced and simplified. We no longer need to separately compartmentalize playing snare drum versus playing rock versus playing jazz versus playing solo versus playing accompaniment etc. We learn that all of these areas use the same underlying patterns and thus are fundamentally related. As a result, they become easier to learn and easier to comprehend.”

Pg. 11

The question becomes, how practical will it be for some of us old dogs to learn to implement such a new trick?

Reaction score
Excellent question.

I think it's easy if you start with, and initially limit yourself to, the Sticking Patterns section, the first several pages of which are included in the free download. That section is the simplest to understand and is the foundation for the rest of the book. Once you grasp the logic of the sequence of patterns in that section you will implicitly grasp that the same sequence of patterns is applied to all the material throughout the rest of the book. And once you grasp the universality of the patterns, you'll very naturally start to notice them everywhere, in the form of both technical patterns and rhythmic patterns.

Another easy entry point would be to watch the introductory video that you'll find halfway down the book page and that very slowly and clearly introduces the basic concept and how it is developed throughout the book: https://www.drummingpatterns.com/book.

An important point to keep in mind is that the book is 176 pages and encyclopedic in nature. As I wrote on page 5:

Drumming Patterns is an encyclopedia of technique. Its approach is broad; the material it presents ranges from basic stick technique to advanced drumset techniques in a variety of styles. It is not intended to be a method book to be practiced strictly from beginning to end, but rather a reference book to be practiced selectively according to each reader’s interests and level of ability. Because of the breadth of its content, it may be approached in several different time frames throughout the reader’s life, rather than worked through and completed in any particular timespan.
I would say just as general advice for anyone starting out, limit yourself initially to the free download and watch the introductory video. And please share with me your experience, I really would love to know.

Thanks.