header.nohb.html

Introducing: The world premier of a Yamaha Crosstown/INDe double tom stand

Blisco

Reaction score
My transformation to Crosstown/INDe is almost complete. I conceived this double tom stand for use with my Classic Maple. I love this kit at a 2 up, 2 down and was trying to think of a way to use my Crosstown stands with it. The cymbal stands are easy enough and getting an INDe bass drum cymbal arm was simple enough too. But what to do about the 2 rack toms?? I use the snare stand with my Kalamazoo kit with the 13 and it works fantastic.
Two snare stands side by side? Ugh, not really a good option. So I figured I could use the new INDe double tom mount and put a rod in the stand instead of the top rod/tilter of the Crosstown. I also got a gearless tilter and cymbal post/gummy in the hopes that it would put the cymbal in the right spot. Turns out, it was going to be too low. So, to the rescue, a Ludwig Atlas short scissor lift. Perfection in positioning. A little heavy but helps offset some lean from the toms on the support leg. Speaking of which, it is surprisingly stable on carpet. There's a bit of bounce to the toms but I attribute that to the BR3 brackets. It's kind of designed that way. I previously had Atlas mounts on those two toms with a DW9000 double tom stand. When I sold the 9000, it weighed about 14lbs. This stand complete is about 6.8lbs and 4.2lbs without the scissor lift. The weight savings is incredible and I still have two toms where I want them.

Using the Kalamazoo all summer with the Crosstowns has been a revelation. Of course, that is a 4 piece but the lightness is noticeable. It's almost going to be a pain in the back to bring the CM out the next time. Once I get the BR3 for the bass drum and get the ride up on there, I will have two unique kits with one set of interchangeable, ultralight hardware. No more heavy stands beyond my throne, a tradeoff worth making.

So here's some pics to show how this went together. I wasn't sure the Crosstown would support two heavy wood toms but it seems to. I bet two Kalamazoo 10/12 toms would be nothing at all. But that's another topic....

Here's the INDe kit in action from a few weeks ago. The perfect outdoor summer gig kit.
U3urhCu.jpg

This was the only way I could play the CM with the Crosstowns. This started my quest.
FY8Xweb.jpg

The Ludwig in full dress. A very heavy dress. Dumped the 9000 monsters and don't miss them one bit.
CLjgdyD.jpg

Tonight's project and mock up
HSAMZkH.jpg

WXes6No.jpg

bVDPR8Z.jpg

nGxPyBg.jpg

I don't know if this the first ever Yamaha Crosstown double tom stand but I'm really happy how this turned out. I'm able to use lightweight stands for both kits and play them the way I want. With outdoor gigs winding down in the next month, I'll be anxious and excited to try the Ludwig's again with my new contraption.

flatwins

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice! I’m a Crosstown user but so far I haven’t tried for anything other than their intended purposes. I am interested in the double tom mount option though!

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
BRAVO MAN, BRAVO!!! Love the outside the box thinking and the the engineering creativity to pull it off! Mad props from here!!!!!

Blisco

Reaction score
I was finally able to use the Ludwig kit again last night and give the stand the ole trial by fire routine.

It was great! Worked and held beautifully. I happened to be on a provided riser (20 inches or so) and there was some wobble from that but nothing moved all night. Very pleased and so fun to bring the "big" kit out again after a summer of INDe.

CherryClassic

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where did you get the top rod for the crosstown cymbal stand
I would also like to know and the size rod required. This information is not indicated on the INDe's website and the mount does not appear to have an adjustment for other sizes.

sherm

Blisco

Reaction score
It's a 12.7mm rod. The stand top section is likely 12.5mm and hollow. So this solid rod will go in with a push.

INDe will make you any custom rod you'd like.

I had them make me a very odd-sized 90 degree rod for the bass drum mounted BR3 and ride holder to get it just to the right height and position.

JonnyFranchi$e

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
@Blisco this is awesome. Thanks for sharing this. I just got an INDe and I'm looking to implement something similar.

So, the scissor lift SHORT is set up to grab a 10.5 mm rod right? All my research is telling me the scissor lifts grabs 12.7 mm, but it can't be right I don't think, because the INDe rod that fits into the double tom mount thingy is 10.5 mm I THINK.

I have the one cymbal thingy attached to the bass drum on the right side, and I also want to set one up on the left side. I want to use the Atlas off the top of the rod sticking up above the double tom mount attached to the kick drum and send it out left.

2 cymbals, literally no cymbal stands.

Also, I see you're in the promised land. Very cool. I grew up there. I saw your first picture like I KNOW that school in the background...

JonnyFranchi$e

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After fighting through my own lack of brains, I integrated something similar.

Crosstown stand. Put the main cymbal right on the stand and used the scissor lift for a little 8" splash. Mounted the INDe Tom mount on the top part of the cymbal stand.

It's a bit of a puzzle to get all the parts aligned and stuff. Once I'm side I like the setup I might mark it with a sharpie for easier gig set up.

But it's pretty slick. I'm putting together a pretty lightweight setup. Thanks @Blisco!

IMG_20221029_201434030_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221029_201451190_HDR.jpg

IMG_20221029_201518459_HDR.jpg

Blisco

Reaction score
That's a perfect application with those short stack toms. I dig it. And nice use of the scissors lift. I hadn't thought of that.