Introduction and first question regarding Tama Star Maple

Moredrums

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Felipe, Im from Chile and drumming is my hobby, I think I should also say Im a collector in this matter. Im 34 y.o. and I started playing at 13, been on and off from it, but latelly and thanks to Corona I have been a lot more into it, taking lessons again and bulding skills. Im a mechanical engineer and I have an attraction for things with 2 wheels. I hope I can contribute here, specially on the technical side, I enjoy tunning and adjusting to perfection, and there is gretsch usa, sonor, yamaha, rogers and since yesterday a tama kit in the collection, and that brings up my question.

I went for a pair of lighter sticks to a drumshop on friday, and I see this beautiful tama set, that looked like a Star maple, but priced closer to a starclassic maple, including matching snare stacked up as a shellpack. So I inspect closer and it really is a Star Maple, inlays, curly maple, blue tinted, clear lacquer, reinforcement rings, Star made in japan inside... Well, went for sticks, went out with a drumset...
Didnt even try it, I knew it was something special. It had never been played, cero stick marks, no scratches, no snare rush, no damage on bass drum hoop, perfect. They just ditched all the boxes and what it came with. Its a 18x22, 16x16, 8x12, 7x10 and 6.5x14 snare, ocean blue curly maple set for 3.660 usd.
The tags on the drums say who inspected it and also the model/code of each drum, and say EAN13 JAN13. Could they be from 2013?
Im wondering what was included in the original boxes, would like to know what I missed. I got the drums and the floor tom legs, thats it, but is just holders I need to get so no problem. Also, who has this drumset, can you share your best tunning results, heads?, would like to know under what settings sings the best.
Thanks a lot guys, regards!

Attachments

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is indeed a Tama Star Maple in Ocean Blue Curly Maple finish . In my opinion the nicest finish in the Star Maple line . These are very high end quality maple drums with a price that befits this quality of drum set . In other words they are very expensive .

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats. That is indeed a kit I would love to have someday (I have a few kits myself ;-)...). I don’t think the Star series has been around since 2013 but I may be wrong. And welcome!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Magnificent drums. I have a kit.

On the inside sticker there is a serial number. Within the serial number the year of manufacture is stated. For example; if the serial nr. starts with 23xxxxx it is made in 2013. You subtract 10 from the first to digits = year of manufacture. I believe the Star Maple and Bubinga series were introduced in 2013 or late 2012. Star Walnut in 2015.

Congrats on your kit, amazing drums.

I use coated Ambassadors/clear Ambassdors. I love how warm and rich they sound with those heads. They give the full potential.

Moredrums

Reaction score
Magnificent drums. I have a kit.

On the inside sticker there is a serial number. Within the serial number the year of manufacture is stated. For example; if the serial nr. starts with 23xxxxx it is made in 2013. You subtract 10 from the first to digits = year of manufacture. I believe the Star Maple and Bubinga series were introduced in 2013 or late 2012. Star Walnut in 2015.

Congrats on your kit, amazing drums.

I use coated Ambassadors/clear Ambassdors. I love how warm and rich they sound with those heads. They give the full potential.
Thank you very much Halldorl!, it is from 2019, great to know. By the way, what came in the box appart from the drums in your set?, you got the same finish?.
I also tend to go for amb coated on top and clear on bottom on my other sets, sometines emperor coated, I will try the stock heads. Have you found info. about factory tunning setup for them?, thanks a lot!

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much Halldorl!, it is from 2019, great to know. By the way, what came in the box appart from the drums in your set?, you got the same finish?.
I also tend to go for amb coated on top and clear on bottom on my other sets, sometines emperor coated, I will try the stock heads. Have you found info. about factory tunning setup for them?, thanks a lot!
Apart from floor tom legs and an envelope with a written (printed) note from Tama Star designer Takanori Hoshino congratulating you on your new drums, only the drums come in the boxes.

I still have an envelope, I can take some pictures of the content if you like.

My drums are in a different finish; Sunny Yellow.

I have no info on factory tuning. They come tuned pretty high. These drums handle all tunings well.

And welcome to the forum. Great place to hang! :)

My drums:

334B1CCD-8862-4DC7-94FB-ABF8AC2904B5.jpeg

Last edited:

Moredrums

Reaction score
Apart from floor tom legs and an envelope with a written (printed) note from Tama Star designer Takanori Hoshino congratulating you on your new drums, only the drums come in the boxes.

I still have an envelope, I can take some pictures of the content if you like.

My drums are in a different finish; Sunny Yellow.

I have no info on factory tuning. They come tuned pretty high. These drums handle all tunings well.

And welcome to the forum. Great place to hang! :)

My drums:
Hi Halldor, thanks for the info about boxes content and yes they were tunned pretty high, the 10" tom almost as a timbale, but I guess that helps to seat the head on the drum, they are easy to tune.

Your set is very beautiful, I can imagine it feels like sunlight in Island. I see we also share some cymbals (Foundry Reserve, got the 22" ride, 15" hats and 18" crash).