Introduction/My kit/My bands

MitchLyons

Reaction score
Hey there everyone!

I’ve had an account on this forum for a while now but never really used it. I’ve been on the Pearl forum for years but it’s seemed to slow down pretty significantly and figured I’d insert myself into a new community.

My name is Mitchel and I live in Nashville, TN. I’ve owned a lot of kits over the years including a Pearl Vision, Pearl Masters MCX, Tama Starclassic B/B, Ludwig Vistalite, DW Performance, 80’s Tama Superstar, and now I’m onto a Tama Starclassic Maple in Emerald Pacific Walnut Burst, which is the only kit I’ve bought new other than the Visions. I love them and they’ve been my favorites so far. I sold the Performance series to a close friend of mine and was very in love with their sound and was wondering if I’d regret it, but the Starclassics exceed them in pretty much every way. I’ve got 10x7, 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, and 22x16 with a matching 22x16 on special order right now from Tama. I usually only use the 12" and 13" racks, but the 10 and 12 make a good combo for certain scenarios. I definitely see an 18x16 floor tom in my future as well, but this wait time for the 22x16 has been making me want to wait for one to pop up on eBay lol. I would definitely consider myself to be a Tama nerd!

I’ve still got the 80’s Superstars as well which are 13x9, 16x16, 18x16, and 24x16 and sound massive but they don’t get played too much because they stay in storage for the time being. One of my bands is Texas based, so I’ve got a set of Starclassic Birch/Bubingas in Molten Brown Burst in 10x8, 12x9, 16x14, and 22x18 that live out there, I usually fly with my cymbals and pedals and borrow my bassists 14x7 B/B snare.

I play mostly Zildjian cymbals with the exception of a Paiste Powerslave Ride which is one of my favorite cymbals of all time, it sounds perfect with the rest of my Zildjians. Right now, I’m playing 15” A Custom Mastersound Hats, 14” Z Custom Hats (as x-hats), 20” A Custom Crash, 20” K Crash Ride (on loan from a friend, either gonna get one of these or the A Series soon though), 21” Sweet Ride (as a crash), 18” Oriental China, 11” K Custom Hybrid Splash, 21” A Mega Bell (for certain bands), and a 9” Stagg bell which finds its way onto the kit from time to time.

Right now, my snare collection is pretty small but it’s diverse. I’ve got a 14x6.5 Tama Artwood Heavy Birch which I’ve restored, a 14x8 Pearl Vinnie Paul Signature that I’ve customized with an upgraded strainer and diecast hoops, and a 14x6.5 Udrum seamless brass which 5mm thick and has been used on a multiple records that friends have recorded on. I'll link those if anyone wants to hear it. I'm hoping to order a 14x8 cast bronze snare shell and hoops from Duluth or another manufacturer sometime this year.

For my Starclassic kit, I’ve got a full set of DW 9000 hardware with a Star double tom stand and a set of Speedcobras which I love, but I’ve got a full set of Tama Roadpro hardware for the Superstars. Super reliable and definitely not as back breaking as the 9000 gear. With that said, I've been considering racking the Starclassics but that's a huge pain to haul and not ideal for my wallet haha.

I play mostly metal and hardcore but have been working on joining another rock band again. You can check out my bands, Blackened and Frost Koffin by clicking these links. Blackened is just a band we do for fun and only plays local shows, but we’re working on more music now. It's a metallic hardcore band in the vein of Hatebreed, Terror, and Buried Alive. I’ve only recently joined Frost Koffin and haven’t played on any records with them, but we’re in the process of coordinating an LP release and writing new music as well as booking a tour. It's in the vein of Metallica and Pantera with singing. I’m also involved in some other projects with friends which may end up being released, but who knows.

Some of my favorite bands are Metallica, Deftones, Pantera, and Meshuggah.

Enough talk, here are some gear pics. Cheers!

8860705D-A0DF-4096-A1C3-E48607A6A9EE.jpeg
88C89F24-1B83-496F-99BC-70546D3383B3.jpeg
B443D1F9-C095-4FF8-A301-7665FE9286AB.jpeg
572EE573-623D-4DA9-BCC8-1D837220FF04.jpeg
8C34DEFB-C7E7-4036-A6DF-0908E36502A2.jpeg
6437C1DE-6762-4575-B870-E294A4445B36.jpeg
ED935D91-2FD0-4A4C-9B90-1A159D0BB677.jpeg
63C52032-9ACB-4E8B-AB4A-B8FADF448731.jpeg

Last edited:

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard Mitch, were glad your here! Cool intro and sweet gear, that was a fun read. Look forward to more in the future.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice introduction!

Looks like you have some beautiful gear. Looking forward to seeing you on the forums! It's a great community here.

hsosdrum

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome aboard, we're glad you're here. Them are some great drums you got there!

MitchLyons

Reaction score
What up Mitch!
My man! Good seeing some familiar faces around here from the PDF. I saw Dale posted in another thread, are there any others running around on this board?

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Willkommen, Mitch!

That’s some gear!

Even a non-metal fan like me has to admit Frost Koffin is a great name—and band too, because yes I checked out your Youtube.

Good to have you.

Lord Ny

Reaction score
Hey there everyone!

I’ve had an account on this forum for a while now but never really used it. I’ve been on the Pearl forum for years but it’s seemed to slow down pretty significantly and figured I’d insert myself into a new community.

My name is Mitchel and I live in Nashville, TN. I’ve owned a lot of kits over the years including a Pearl Vision, Pearl Masters MCX, Tama Starclassic B/B, Ludwig Vistalite, DW Performance, 80’s Tama Superstar, and now I’m onto a Tama Starclassic Maple in Emerald Pacific Walnut Burst, which is the only kit I’ve bought new other than the Visions. I love them and they’ve been my favorites so far. I sold the Performance series to a close friend of mine and was very in love with their sound and was wondering if I’d regret it, but the Starclassics exceed them in pretty much every way. I’ve got 10x7, 12x8, 13x9, 16x16, and 22x16 with a matching 22x16 on special order right now from Tama. I usually only use the 12" and 13" racks, but the 10 and 12 make a good combo for certain scenarios. I definitely see an 18x16 floor tom in my future as well, but this wait time for the 22x16 has been making me want to wait for one to pop up on eBay lol. I would definitely consider myself to be a Tama nerd!

I’ve still got the 80’s Superstars as well which are 13x9, 16x16, 18x16, and 24x16 and sound massive but they don’t get played too much because they stay in storage for the time being. One of my bands is Texas based, so I’ve got a set of Starclassic Birch/Bubingas in Molten Brown Burst in 10x8, 12x9, 16x14, and 22x18 that live out there, I usually fly with my cymbals and pedals and borrow my bassists 14x7 B/B snare.

I play mostly Zildjian cymbals with the exception of a Paiste Powerslave Ride which is one of my favorite cymbals of all time, it sounds perfect with the rest of my Zildjians. Right now, I’m playing 15” A Custom Mastersound Hats, 14” Z Custom Hats (as x-hats), 20” A Custom Crash, 20” K Crash Ride (on loan from a friend, either gonna get one of these or the A Series soon though), 21” Sweet Ride (as a crash), 18” Oriental China, 11” K Custom Hybrid Splash, 21” A Mega Bell (for certain bands), and a 9” Stagg bell which finds its way onto the kit from time to time.

Right now, my snare collection is pretty small but it’s diverse. I’ve got a 14x6.5 Tama Artwood Heavy Birch which I’ve restored, a 14x8 Pearl Vinnie Paul Signature that I’ve customized with an upgraded strainer and diecast hoops, and a 14x6.5 Udrum seamless brass which 5mm thick and has been used on a multiple records that friends have recorded on. I'll link those if anyone wants to hear it. I'm hoping to order a 14x8 cast bronze snare shell and hoops from Duluth or another manufacturer sometime this year.

For my Starclassic kit, I’ve got a full set of DW 9000 hardware with a Star double tom stand and a set of Speedcobras which I love, but I’ve got a full set of Tama Roadpro hardware for the Superstars. Super reliable and definitely not as back breaking as the 9000 gear. With that said, I've been considering racking the Starclassics but that's a huge pain to haul and not ideal for my wallet haha.

I play mostly metal and hardcore but have been working on joining another rock band again. You can check out my bands, Blackened and Frost Koffin by clicking these links. Blackened is just a band we do for fun and only plays local shows, but we’re working on more music now. It's a metallic hardcore band in the vein of Hatebreed, Terror, and Buried Alive. I’ve only recently joined Frost Koffin and haven’t played on any records with them, but we’re in the process of coordinating an LP release and writing new music as well as booking a tour. It's in the vein of Metallica and Pantera with singing. I’m also involved in some other projects with friends which may end up being released, but who knows.

Some of my favorite bands are Metallica, Deftones, Pantera, and Meshuggah.

Enough talk, here are some gear pics. Cheers!

View attachment 510149 View attachment 510150 View attachment 510151 View attachment 510152 View attachment 510153 View attachment 510154 View attachment 510155 View attachment 510157
That Starclassic is gorgeous