Introduction

MortSahlFan

Reaction score
Hi, and thanks for accepting me. I wish I would have found this place years ago, because I do engage a lot on message boards, mostly movie, music, stand-up comedy.

I've been playing drums for 28 years. I've played in North America, Europe, Australia, Asia (with bands, and busking when my funds were low), but unfortunately, you never get "points" for what you did in the past, and have to re-conquer your destiny, lol... I started a band weeks after I got my first drum set, a Percussion Plus, and had a handful of bands since. After encountering a lot of people who were not... punctual (and a ton of other things), I decided almost 20 years ago that I'd get guitars, pianos, and a studio (Tascam DP-01FX).. I have 4 CDs of instrumental music, simply using a microphone (I don't use a computer).

I never got involved with social media, but I'd love to ask for all your advice. Obviously no one here is going to want to buy my drum beats, but I would love to hear ANY advice. I have a YouTube channel with over 2,000 subscribers, but even that hasn't helped. I'd love to make a few bucks selling my music, which can be done easily and more cheaply transmitting everything online. I've never made a personal website, because I can't lose money. I also think I (and maybe many others) have been replaced by drum machines. With the pandemic, it's impossible to find a band and make a few bucks, and I tend to get horrible migraines the day after playing, so I don't play for fun anymore unfortunately, and figure if I'm going to get headaches, I might as well be paid for them, and play on a need-to basis if anyone ever wants anything. If you have experience doing what I've done (drum beats, or music in general from home), I'd love to hear any advice, because whatever I'm doing isn't working.

I love all sorts of music from the 60/70s (Pink Floyd, The Doors, Supertramp, Zep, Who, Steely Dan, Bowie, Beatles, Stones.. A lot of 70s prog-rock like Curved Air, Illusion.. Great vocalists like Catherine Howe, Roberta Flack, Jane Relf), and obviously I love stand-up comedy (Mort Sahl, Bill Hicks, George Carlin). I'm a huge movie fan -- Vittorio De Sica, Luchino Visconti, John Cassavetes, Robert Bresson, Ingmar Bergman to name a few.

When it comes to playing, I love playing jazz and funk more than rock and blues. Some music is fun to listen to, some music is only fun to play. I like Densmore, Bonham, Moon, too. Joe Morello.

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey now, going to check out that YT channel later on this evening.