5) a Cajon
6) a djembe
7) an electric ukulele
8) a pearl compact traveler kit
9) a 14 inch hand drum/ tom mountable
10) a breakbeats kit with all the bells and whistles
11) an e-kit drums
12) bongos

I recently did a price assessment of my goods, it's in the ballpark of "$4000 dollars". If I were to sell everything other than my breakbeats kit AND cbg guitar n amp, I would adhere $3000 dollars! That means, I would make a profit of 2,500$ because I am still doting on buying a drum bag set for $500 dollars. At the end of the day, I had a discussion with my cousin:

He said "that's the life of a musician, always trying to buy new stuff. BUT when you have a kid or kids, you start setting up things to be children friendly, lol like climbing all over the drums lol. I guess he was saying his priorities have changed understandably.

How about you guys, have you ever taken a look to assess the value of your gear? How many instrument s do you own? Also do you keep them in a jam space area or studio? Thanks y'all. Discuss

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a couple grand just in dw hardware lol I don’t even want to try to itemize all my gear lol

As far as instruments I own I now am up to 7 vintage kits about 50 cymbals, three sets of dw 9700 hardware to outfit three kits with three crashes, ride, splash, hi hats, China. Couple vintage guitars. Keyboards misc pedals, studio stuff, tons of mics.

I keep a kit in our band trailer in a large flight case. The rest at home in my drum room and a couple kits in flight cases in my garage.

Last edited:

Fat_asian

Reaction score
Dang I guess it's like a vehicle, it depreciates once you leave the lot. That's real... staggering numbers to admit, but you are telling the truth!

Cpb282

Reaction score
BUT when you have a kid or kids, you start setting up things to be children friendly, lol like climbing all over the drums lol.
My kids were the cause of all of our gear.

Guitars: about 10
Basses: about 5
Amps: about 6
Banjo, mandolin (2), ukulele
Drum sets: 3
Cymbal setups (only 1!)
Keyboard
Full PA system

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was always told soon as you walk out with it cut the value in half

That might be true with "some" new items but not necessarily most of them. New kits the next day should bring 65-85% of orig value for quality kits. And with the current shortage
of some kits you might actually get the 100% for some of them. It's highly dependent on the item. A new "toy" drum kit for a 6 yr old just might depreciate 50% out the door....but
we're not talking about stuff like that. And on the super high end.....if you bought a $10,000 kit.....it might be hard to find a buyer for it above $5000. Again, that's a 1 off situation and not the norm.

If you buy good used drum gear it's not hard at all to buy something that you can sell for what you paid or more. There's generally no depreciation "out the door" on a used item unless you choose
to make that happen by overpaying in the first place. If you buy used on line and pay shipping/taxes....then you could be in the hole from the start for 10-25%. If you buy locally and pickup, those costs can be avoided. Many sellers offer their items for 50-75% of their true value.....no depreciation on those the next day.

The only new items I've bought in the past 30 yrs were drum heads and drum sticks. And for the most part those might only be worth 30-60% of what you paid as soon as you get home.
Drums, cymbals, and hardware are another story though.

Drum Mer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I had above 8k of items last year.

Now with no kit at all and recent sales, im owning just over 3k I expect.

391A698E-F7B4-4770-962F-CC872B04074B.jpeg

Most of it because of the prototype cymbals, the rare snare, and (now stored) mics and cables.

I keep a sheet with serialnumbers/details of most items.

From the 37 years, I probably only have the last years documented as too much came and went over those years.

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My Brady snare would cost more to buy now than my custom bop kit cost new and cymbals are close to that. Value is what I could sell it all for but current estimate of that is at least $4,000 ....

Drumbandit

Reaction score
My Brady snare would cost more to buy now than my custom bop kit cost new and cymbals are close to that. Value is what I could sell it all for but current estimate of that is at least $4,000 ....
I'm not sure Bradys are actually selling for that much $$$. People keep listing them on Reverb for $4000+ but I've not seen many sell for that sort of price unless they're difficult to find models. Reverb doesn't seem to show offers accepted so it's quite hard to gauge value.

I've been paying between $1500 and $3000 for Brady snares and within that bracket I've found standard models through to one of a kind drums.

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Selling gear is not easy these days, especially around here. Everything I currently have, I plan on keeping until I physically cannot play anymore (hopefully MANY more year from now!). Who knows what it’ll all sell for down the line - I rather like to think about who will eventually inherit the gear I have.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That might be true with "some" new items but not necessarily most of them. New kits the next day should bring 65-85% of orig value for quality kits. And with the current shortage
of some kits you might actually get the 100% for some of them. It's highly dependent on the item. A new "toy" drum kit for a 6 yr old just might depreciate 50% out the door....but
we're not talking about stuff like that. And on the super high end.....if you bought a $10,000 kit.....it might be hard to find a buyer for it above $5000. Again, that's a 1 off situation and not the norm.

If you buy good used drum gear it's not hard at all to buy something that you can sell for what you paid or more. There's generally no depreciation "out the door" on a used item unless you choose
to make that happen by overpaying in the first place. If you buy used on line and pay shipping/taxes....then you could be in the hole from the start for 10-25%. If you buy locally and pickup, those costs can be avoided. Many sellers offer their items for 50-75% of their true value.....no depreciation on those the next day.

The only new items I've bought in the past 30 yrs were drum heads and drum sticks. And for the most part those might only be worth 30-60% of what you paid as soon as you get home.
Drums, cymbals, and hardware are another story though.
Thanks for saving me the trouble …

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just tell your significant other they gave it to you.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be reluctant to post my inventory for any part of my life online.
That would appear to be a bad idea.
With that said ...

1 Kitten
2763 items the Kitten believes belong to her