ARGuy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh no! Really? 1981 is now Vintage?
Please say it ain't so. :(
Anyway, that's a nice kit Chris. You should be proud. -b

Elvis
You CAN decide for yourself what YOU want to call "Vintage". There's no forum rule that I'm aware of that requires that we all have to refer to anything from 1981 as "Vintage".
It ain't so.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Drums look killer, love the old Tama stuff. For the drumming community I consider vintage ~pre-1970 as in before the mid-70's to mid-1980's that are considered a dark period in drum manufacturing. I think as much as vintage refers to age it also refers to the mentality of the classics like Gretsch, Ludwig, Rogers, Camco, etc and their approach. However, with all the MIJ kits in the 60s there was plenty of schlock being made, even though those kits have been reconsidered and have their own mojo now. Definitely up for debate but I would not call them vintage drums.

Last edited:

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
An item should be at least 100 years old to be defined as an antique. Generally speaking if the item is no older than an antique but not less than 20 years, it falls under the term vintage. I have heard the term 'true vintage' as being at least 50 years old.
FWIW.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny how everyone has a different interpretation. I'd definitely call anything that's 39 years old vintage already. I think what happens is the realization of the time that you grew up in. Me for example that I grew up in the 80's don't completely realize or even accept at times that 1980 was actually 40 years ago. That's 4 decades ago!! In the 90's for me anything 60's was vintage. That means that today anything 80's is vintage. At least in my view!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
You CAN decide for yourself what YOU want to call "Vintage". There's no forum rule that I'm aware of that requires that we all have to refer to anything from 1981 as "Vintage".
It ain't so.
you da man, AR!
Thank you! :thumbup:

Rick

Reaction score
Since you guys are talking vintage Superstars, these were mine. I bought these new in 1980 while in college. I played them for 35 years. Never had cases for them, but was super careful and I think there was one minor scratch on the floor tom. Other than that, they were in pristine condition! Had mixed feelings about it, because they had sentimental value. But when I got my Starclassic Maples 5 years ago, I decided that I really wasn't going to play the Superstars much anymore and it would be a shame for them to sit in a closet covered up by a sheet. They deserve to be played! The dilemma was that I didn't want to just sell them to anyone. I wanted to find them a good home. Fortunately, via Reverb I found a professional drummer in Austin, TX that was THRILLED to buy them from me, and I know they are in good hands and will be well cared for!

chrisr777

Reaction score
I must say, mine are certainly not pristine. Never had cases and have been gigged heavily. I would call them more "road worn" than anything. They still look beautiful to me.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd classify '81 as "modern vintage", especially when talking about the Japanese brands. I'm a Yamaha fanboy, and have a large bank of 9000GA drums dating from '82-'84. While I wouldn't say they are vintage, they certainly aren't modern either, hence the modern vintage verbiage. Open to interpretation, obviously, but just the ramblings of a 49 year old dummy.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing a set of Tama live for the first time at The Berklee Jazz Festival around 1980. I was there with my HS Jazz band. I thought they were the best sounding drums that I heard at that festival.

oh and I consider my 1981 Slingerlands vintage.

chrisr777

Reaction score
One last picture of what happens when I play shows with a backline. I have to add. I don't think I'm capable of playing a four or five piece. O.K., I am capable. I just don't want to.

And I bought a double pedal for just such an emergency.

Last edited: