Is 8” the new 6.5”?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have had 7" deep snares for many years, but 12" size and block shells. I did go for a 14 x 8 Mahogany block shell a year or two ago but it turned out to be too much snare for my acoustic jazz gigs although was (is) great for brushes. It is currently on the sale-block locally.
17883773_10209195894082442_4490350037128935738_n.jpg

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good question; No way, at least for me. Had a hard enough time going to a 6.5
Keep the 8" for toms.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Generally speaking, 6 is my maximum. Over that, and I start hearing too much “empty bucket” sound and too much separation between the batter head sound and the snare wire sound.

That said, the videos of the 7” Starphonic Copper are singing a siren song to me.

8”, not my cup at all.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think a lot has to do with shells. If they are more rigid as in solid or block then snare response is very good as vibrations go quickly to snare head rather than into shell. I had a deep ply shell snare once where that didn't happen and it was disappointing and not a keeper.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Last year I was looking for an aux snare and came across the Supralites. I heard the 8x14 and the thing sounded like a field snare to me. (maybe some like that sound). I personally don't like the 8". Too deep of a sound and I don't think soundwise it's as versatile. And they look like a bucket! I ended up buying the 6x13. Deepest snare I own is 6.5". To answer the question: No I don't think it's the new 6.5". From what I see the 6.5" remains more popular.

Treviso1

DFO Master
Reaction score
8x14's can be cranked up and they can sound amazing. I have an 8x14 N&C Solid Walnut that is out of this world. If you like them low and earthy...they do that great too. I have found that drums are drums...tuned properly, most will achieve a pretty amazing result and 8x14 snare drums have been my favorites for many years, even when they went out of fashion. My original 8x14 N&C Solid Maple from 1985 was an amazing drum that saw action both live and in the recording studio.

cworrick

The BIG Bunny on the block
Reaction score
10" is the smallest tom I will use. I tried an 8" once but I just didn't like it and have no use for one, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like a 6-1/2" tom.

I've only seen a 6" tom on a drumset once. They seem more common on marching tenors. Too high for me.
I've never seen a 6-1/2" tom. Are you sure you measured it right?

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
10" is the smallest tom I will use. I tried an 8" once but I just didn't like it and have no use for one, so I'm pretty sure I wouldn't like a 6-1/2" tom.

I've only seen a 6" tom on a drumset once. They seem more common on marching tenors. Too high for me.
Well, he's not referring to toms, he's talking about snare drum depths.

GeeDeeEmm

Neal Pert

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I AM seeing a lot more 8s these days. Weird. I guess I can't talk because I've never owned one and my favorite drum is a 7x14 Noble & Cooley.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have been using my 8x14 Copperphonic more than any other snare for the last year. I don't have any of the above issues with a "bucket" sound or lack of sensitivity. It has die cast hoops and takes any style head with ease. Tunes up and down.

Old Dog

Reaction score

LOL! It's okay. I thought the exact same thing when I started reading it. And I agree, 10" is as small as I get with toms.

As far as snares, There's a place and time for everything. I see these Ludwig, what are they Supraphonics for 2 bills on Ebay? Very nice looking drum. Haven't pulled the trigger yet. Ask me again around Xmas. And to be honest, having only been back into drumming since last December, I've never played an 8" snare to this day.

Redbeard77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 14x8 Gretsch USA Custom snare that is perfect for me and what I play. But while they've certainly seen a resurgence lately, I don't see 8" deep snares ever surpassing 6.5" in popularity. 14x6.5 is the perfect middle ground that can achieve most of the characteristics of a 5 or 8" depth.

stevil

Reaction score
My main snare is an 8*14 cast bronze monster. Perfect for me, but maybe not for everyone.

That depth might be gaining popularity, but I don't see it supplanting shallower drums.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
In high school I used a marching snare on my kit 10x14 Ludwig 70's metal snare. Complete with a blue hydraulic Evans batter. Now days I usually use a 5 but the 6.5 402 sure sounded great last night. I find I like more wires on the deeper snares. Running Puresound 30's on the 402

Latest posts