Is a 4 piece kit just being 'lazy" ?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I saw a comment on a drummer's YouTube video which read "Just a 4 piece ? That's being lazy !!".

Naturally being a 4-piece kit player and long favoring such kits, I disagree totally.

Any comments ?

Soulfinger

Reaction score
Sure!
Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Billy Higgins... Benny Greb, Mark Guiliana, Ari Hoenig... all world famous for their laziness.
Ringo! Total slacker! Couldn´t even be bothered to play live for years.

You get my drift. File that comment under: internet stupidity.

Seb77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some listeners, and musicians, called me up on using a "bikini" kit, no toms, just one top cymbal. I admit I didn't wnat to bring more, but the stage was also small. Four piece has been my maximum for gigs formany years. That rare recording studio is a different matter (I would love to bring all my stuff).

MntnMan62

Reaction score
Sure!
Tony Williams, Elvin Jones, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Billy Higgins... Benny Greb, Mark Guiliana, Ari Hoenig... all world famous for their laziness.

Add Brian Blade to that list. And is this a two piece kit? I guess he's REALLY lazy.
Image result for brian blade

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something a non working drummer would say.

Years ago, I worked with this classic rock cover group. We toured four years, non stop. I was either doing 2&4 or shuffling...that's it. I used a normal 4 piece, two crashes, hats and ride, with that band. Low key set up.

I decided when packing up for one of their gigs, to only bring a kick, snare, hats, one cymbal (crash/ride), and a floor tom - that's it (I would even leave the FT at home, at times). I remember the band was like "wtf?", "where's the rest?" I told them - "If you notice anything missing, I'll bring the rest, next gig".

They didn't notice any difference.

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Love it when I see drummers who have monster kits with a ton of cymbals and they feel obligated to hit every one of them. After all, if you bring em ya gotta play em. IMHO looks absurd in the wrong venue or with the type of music being played. To each his or her own. I have and play 4 piece kits in different sizes - 26, 14, 16 - 20, 12, 14 - and the standard 22,13,16. And a 14 inch snare.
Coy

mcjaco

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I went from a two up two down, to a four piece. It really makes you rethink how you play songs. I'm now back to a two up, one down, more because the band wanted a full kit on stage, and the option it gave me to help cover songs more accurately.

It is what it is. If I can hit them. I'll play them. In any setup.

singleordoubleheads

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I played a 4 piece 99.5% of the time for my first 20 years of playing, so I'm definitely in that camp--it truly is "all you need" unless , of course, you are in a Rush/ELP/Triumph tribute band.
Having said that, I "kinda" get where that comment is coming from if you SHOULD be bringing more (to properly fit the music) or if you ARE really lazy and just hate to move any more gear than necessary. I remember reading a few years ago (forgot where but it started a small poop-storm) than "Bonham was LAZY because he switched to a 15" rack tom in the late 70s because he didn't want to bother turning to hit the floor Toms" Ridiculous I know...

(For the record, I usually play a whopping FIVE piece nowadays)

SpinaDude

Reaction score
Dude, I love a bigger kit. I love the different voices at my disposal and the feeling of being surrounded by my instrument. That's what makes me happy when I play. That's what I thrive on.

No one can or should tell you how to be happy when you play. If the 4 piece kit speaks to you, that's not lazy, that's your method of artistic expression. More power to you! I appreciate, and more importantly, respect that completely.

I do not respect closed minded internet trolls who think their way is the only way. So screw that YouTube comment-chump in the ear.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Sure!

And what about Joe Morello? Never would I call him a slacker!

Latest posts