Is a 4 piece kit just being 'lazy" ?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The Music makes (guides) your decisions but You're making decisions too..
I mean a guy plays a certain set not (only) because 'that's what the music calls for'. No. It's what he Calls for too....

a Drummer has a Say in it.
Since time began.

This Slavery gotta end ;) sometime...(lol

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

mebeatee

Reaction score
I would say the opposite as it's way more work to get a myriad of sounds and textures out of a small setup than a big one....
Way way back in the day as a young drummer visiting my uncle, I was turned onto a recording of Louie Bellson doing Skin Deep with the Duke Ellington band and I went....wtf.... There were no pics of the kit and I was blown away by the bass drum work. So I went home and worked my butt....and foot off to replicate it on my one bass drum.....no laziness there. Then I was made aware of the two bass drums and went oh....that answers a few questions....however my foot was pretty bitchin'.
This also opened up the world of using less to get more....ie by emulating two bass drums with one bass drum (this before double pedals btw), plus I "added" another tom by using my bass drum as a tom tom as well.
A whole bunch of stuff to whack is too obvious especially if it's one dimensional....ie one drum one sound. That to me is lazy.
It's not how many you have, or how big your pencil is....it's how you write your name.
bt

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
And the hand doesn't write the name, the mind does; just as the hands don't move the sticks, the mind does. So when Elvin went to Six Piece it expanded his palette. because his mind followed suit..his mind needed the extra tones..or wanted the extra tones..

the "kid" down the street that can successfully just get thru 'wipe out' and can only play "walk this way"... adds 18 cymbals and fourteen drums/ is not the fair comparison;

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Next interesting topic...

:DD

stevil

Reaction score
I used to play 1 up, 2 down. As an experiment, I stopped using the second floor tom. When my bandmates didn't notice I decided to ditch the 2nd. Made things a lot easier. So, yeah, that was from laziness, and it did nothing but good.

But, as to the original comment, it sounds like it was made by someone who doesn't understand that what other people eat doesn't change the smell of his farts.

Iristone

Reaction score
I started out on a 5-piece Roland and moved to a 4-piece Ludwig CDSE. I still haven't found a matching drum for it (bought a 6-ply but wasn't nearly as good sounding), but I've Rototoms, SPD-30, cowbells, double pedals, any sort of things added to it. :wink:
B2217F6D-1F8D-4306-A095-6B9212E33F94.jpeg

E1D42BCE-269E-4788-A4D0-9324EC18136D.jpeg

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
And the hand doesn't write the name, the mind does; just as the hands don't move the sticks, the mind does. So when Elvin went to Six Piece it expanded his palette. because his mind followed suit..his mind needed the extra tones..or wanted the extra tones..

the "kid" down the street that can successfully just get thru 'wipe out' and can only play "walk this way"... adds 18 cymbals and fourteen drums/ is not the fair comparison;
Bravo !!!!!!!

Reactions: JDA

CrashBoomPang

Reaction score
I have gigged a 3pc with a crash and hihat in the past. It was partly convenience, but primarily the music did not call for more.
Today I prefer a bigger setup: at least 5pc with 5 cymbals or so.

I think it comes down to a) the music and b) the player.
If you are attracted to - and/or the music calls for - a more melodic playing style, several crashes and an array of toms may be worth having. If you are not, then displacement of your hats and ride might outweigh any musical benefit. Or the cost of the extra stuff might. Or the hassle of transporting them.

Latest posts