Is a 4 piece kit just being 'lazy" ?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
wait. There's still tambourine-only.
Then under that maybe the two (or one) egg-shaker thing.
And then the first percussion the hand clap.

Pickinator

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have (3) double bass drum kits and a 4-piece kit; as I like the challenge of making it happen with less at times.
That 4 piece vintage Slingerland kit was purchased a number of years back from a forum member here. One of my favorite purchases of all time.

CC Cirillo

Reaction score
To each drummer his own, and God bless those of you with the stage space for big kits.

Four pieces fit my style and the genre I’m playing. I’ve been one up one down for so long a five piece doesn’t even look right to me.

With one band I always rehearse with (not in) a bikini. When we gig and I bring those two toms...whoa! to them it’s like I’ve brought all this massive gear.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
In my local music scene I rarely see those with huge sets playing often because they're a pain to move/setup, so who's the real lazy drummer?

All kidding aside, use whatever you want. If you need a big kit for the music, that's the appropriate one. If all you need is the 4 piece (or smaller) then bring that. Use whatever inspires you and covers the ground you need.

I use a 4 piece because I was inspired by the drummers of the 60's and earlier, when that was the common thing. I'm comfortable with it and I prefer the positioning of everything, especially the ride. I've played big backline kits and while it's fun for a gig, it's not necessary and at time even overkill for what we play. But it would be appropriate for a prog or other type band.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls, but c'mon guys. Carrying around a extra few drums isn't that much work.
It's not like we're moving 100lb bags of concrete or digging holes all day. We're moving around a few drums, for a few minutes a day, at most, regardless of how many gigs you play. And then, once they're to the destination, it's just fun time.
Saying that you're playing a smaller bass drum because a 22" is too heavy is just silly. You're all full-grown human beings. Unless you have an injury, stop being a baby!

MntnMan62

Reaction score
It's not about how many drums you can play. It's about how you play the drums that you have. I'm a HUGE Kenwood Dennard fan. Back around 1980 we would see him play at Seventh Avenue South with his band Highlife. I think he described his instrument as "Thermonuclear Drums" or something to that effect. This is representative of what he was playing back then. It was a monster kit with large shell sizes and double bass.

Image result for kenwood dennard

Last year my son and I went to see him play with Brand X at the Iridium. He was playing just a basic 5 piece kit. But I've seen him playing a 4 piece kit. I guess he's gotten lazy in his old age, or not so old age.

Image result for kenwood dennard

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
If I normally played a much bigger kit and didn’t feel like lugging everything to a gig, yeah I guess you could say I was being lazy but if I always use one then you can consider that the other guys opinion and he can suck it.

Tmcfour

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I play different kits for different situations. The current two bands I'm in I use 4pcs , up, 1 down, 1 bd, snare But before that I used a 3 up 2 down 1 bd, before that a 2 up 1 down 2bd, and before that a 3 up 1 down 2 bd. The last is my favorite configuration, but not needed for what I play now. Eventually I'll start another project and use another config. I like variety :)

Drm1979

Reaction score
Less is more I always say. I dropped my kit to a 4 piece when I was younger as our home club that we played every weekend was 2 stories with the stage upstairs and no elevator. The kit I have has the set up where the rack tom and ride cymbal stand both go into the bass drum so I could assemble my kit downstairs and only need 2 trips to get everything upstairs. So maybe that was a little lazy. But I also feel that if all you play is a 4 piece then you can be more creative with what you come up with. Let's not forget that most of the big rock bands from the 70s with their huge drum sounds did not come from a 10,000 piece drum set. They played on mostly a basic 4 or 5 piece set. The only band that used more was Rush (RIP Neil) but they were in their own category.

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Less is more I always say. I dropped my kit to a 4 piece when I was younger as our home club that we played every weekend was 2 stories with the stage upstairs and no elevator. The kit I have has the set up where the rack tom and ride cymbal stand both go into the bass drum so I could assemble my kit downstairs and only need 2 trips to get everything upstairs. So maybe that was a little lazy. But I also feel that if all you play is a 4 piece then you can be more creative with what you come up with. Let's not forget that most of the big rock bands from the 70s with their huge drum sounds did not come from a 10,000 piece drum set. They played on mostly a basic 4 or 5 piece set. The only band that used more was Rush (RIP Neil) but they were in their own category.
I’m not sure how to reply to this nonsense....

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I'm not trying to bust anyone's balls, but c'mon guys. Carrying around a extra few drums isn't that much work.
It's not like we're moving 100lb bags of concrete or digging holes all day. We're moving around a few drums, for a few minutes a day, at most, regardless of how many gigs you play. And then, once they're to the destination, it's just fun time.
Saying that you're playing a smaller bass drum because a 22" is too heavy is just silly. You're all full-grown human beings. Unless you have an injury, stop being a baby!
But if it's not necessary then why bring it? If I'm not going to hit it, there's no need to set it up. If the music and drummer needs those extra pieces, then yeah, bring it, otherwise it's a waste of time and space (stage and transportation).

I could drive a Hemi R/T Challenger but I get all I need from my V6.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I agree and as the OP would be happy to see it ended. It was meant to ridicule a quoted comment not to ridicule any 4 piece player or any 16 piece player.
I apologize if any of my comments were taken this way. That was not my intent. Cheers!

Latest posts