Is Alex Van Halen Playing David Lee Roth’s Final Five Retirement Shows?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I’ve never read Metalwani.com, but I’m happy to share their story about Alex Van Halen coming out of retirement to support David Lee Roth’s final five retirement shows.

Also, while we’re speculating, does DLR’s statement signal a serious illness?

“My doctors, my handlers, compelled me to really address that every time I go on stage, I endanger that future.

“I am encouraged and compelled to really come to grips with how short time is, and my time is probably even shorter.”

Last edited:

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Here is an honest question, has Alex ever sat in with another artist that isn't Van Halen? I've never heard of him playing with anyone else and I have a hard time believing that he would be learning to play Just Like Paradise, Yankee Rose, or A Lil Ain't Enough to play with DLR.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is an honest question, has Alex ever sat in with another artist that isn't Van Halen? I've never heard of him playing with anyone else and I have a hard time believing that he would be learning to play Just Like Paradise, Yankee Rose, or A Lil Ain't Enough to play with DLR.
He could probably play whatever he wants and no one will care. Roth can't sing at all anymore and yet people are still paying to see him.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
Alex probably only needs to listen and run through those songs once or twice to get them ……

Bonzoholic

Helluva Nice Guy
Reaction score
Dave bummed his first cigarette from the delivery nurse when he was born...

Just like Eddie, Dave smokes like Scarlett Johansen and I wouldn't doubt that he is battling some health issues from that.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
If Alex were to play at all, I'm betting he just sits in for a couple of numbers on drums of whoever is drumming for Dave. Alex is my childhood hero and I know i would love to hear him play one last time. As much as I have loved Dave over the years, his voice is quite trashed these days. At least he knows it is time so I commend him on that. I can't really see Dave coming back again like some of these artists that retire do. Dave has always done his solo thing for years but I think he has always regretted the way the original VH split apart.

With Eddie gone, I think Dave just knows that it will never be the same again and he knows that it's time to hang it up. As far as I know, Alex has never played publicly with any other guitarist than his brother. I think both he and Eddie jammed with Kenny Chesney at one of his concerts but that's all I know of. What would be the best is that Dave's shows are filmed and (if the Alex rumor is really true), we get to see it. Would be even better if Michael Anthony sat in too. I doubt that would happen though.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I truly hope the shows are not filmed. I can't help myself. I sit and watch the car crash in it's entirety and can't look away. I saw DLR in his prime with VH and it's painful to see now. Yet I just...can't...look...away.

esooy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Enjoy !!!!
OMG slow car crash is right... But, ya know, if you have enough people in your inner circle telling you nothing but how great you are and that you haven't lost your touch AT ALL, that's what these egos feed off of. Give it up Diamond Dave, you're more like a cubic zirconia now.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
OMG slow car crash is right... But, ya know, if you have enough people in your inner circle telling you nothing but how great you are and that you haven't lost your touch AT ALL, that's what these egos feed off of. Give it up Diamond Dave, you're more like a cubic zirconia now.
I like the big smiles !!!!!!

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
His band had less energy than he did...

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
My god, there are soooooo many good ones on YouTube! I can't stop - I'm headed down the rabbit hole!

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Dave's third leg wore out. Maybe Gregg Bissonnette will play.

cruddola

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dave bummed his first cigarette from the delivery nurse when he was born...

Just like Eddie, Dave smokes like Scarlett Johansen and I wouldn't doubt that he is battling some health issues from that.
Who's Scarlett?