Is Alex Van Halen Playing David Lee Roth’s Final Five Retirement Shows?

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Alex probably only needs to listen and run through those songs once or twice to get them ……
I don't doubt that he could. I'm mainly just making the point that he's gone his entire career playing nothing other than VH stuff. Why start now?

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why not start now ?? He’s gotta be missing it a bit ….
I don’t know. He seems to be kind of an enigma. Unless Ed was motivated to do something he was just completely MIA from the music scene. He just seemed uninterested in doing anything outside of VH. I’m sure offers have always been there to do so. He just didn’t.

Tornado

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t know. He seems to be kind of an enigma. Unless Ed was motivated to do something he was just completely MIA from the music scene. He just seemed uninterested in doing anything outside of VH. I’m sure offers have always been there to do so. He just didn’t.
I've always wondered about that. He's obviously been satisfied to do what what he was doing. I wonder if he will step out and do more as time passes.

Houndog

DFO Master
Reaction score
I was just guessing , It occurs to me I have never read an interview with him …
I would just think he’d wanna play .

Bri6366

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

It's been a year now since Ed has passed. I hope these final Dave shows also aren't Al's final signoff as well. I don't know is past current motivation for playing outside of VH. We know now that Ed was very ill for a long time and Al was blindly loyal to his younger brother as he struggled through addiction and cancer. In past interviews, Al said he is a musician and he will play until "the cows come home." I'd like to see him play outside of Van Halen and I'm sure there are no shortage of musicians that would love to get Al on a track if not an entire recording.

gmiller598

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Not that Sammy needs him with Jason Bonham but if Al is interested in ever playing again I'd be curious if he would ever collaborate with Michael Anthony and Sammy again, even if it was just a sit in in Cabo or something.

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Not that Sammy needs him with Jason Bonham but if Al is interested in ever playing again I'd be curious if he would ever collaborate with Michael Anthony and Sammy again, even if it was just a sit in in Cabo or something.
shoot why not Jason and Alex behind Sammy and Michael....I think I'd buy that ticket

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
It would be cool if he did get together with Dave Lee Roth, they could easily bang out some VH tunes, maybe a bit sacrilegious for Alex with Eddie gone though.

I read only very recently that both Sammy Hagar and Mike Anthony have tried to catch up with him and apparently he wanted no part of it which is a bit of a shame if it's true.

If this is genuinely him in the Porsche (it looks like him) it seems like he's doing ok though.

Last edited:

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was one of those who preferred DLR in VH. It took me 6 years after its release date to even listen to 5150. Anyhow, there’s this:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Wait, so people think that Alex is going to sit in...and play DLR solo stuff? I'm not sure I follow the logic there. Wasn't DLR in a band before going solo?

Dan

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
...... Anyhow, there’s this:
I think that vid is the clearest possible distillation of the core of DLR the 'performer'.
I can see the roots of a 6-year old David performing in front of a living room full of adoring (tolerating?) family members as he belts out Louis Prima/Dean Martin/Perry Como/Pat Boone etc... tunes. A first class ham, mugging it up for all it's worth... desparately seeking attention and approval of those gathered around the living room with a highball glass half full of bourbon. I think his bravado covered that bit up during the glory days of VH (that was a very big machine in those days). But truthfully, I don't thnk DLR ever got over wanting to be a front man in a cover band. I also think that deeply bothered the very orignal VH brothers who wanted to produce/release their own material.. I'm sure they had their fill of cover tunes after graduating from playing the backyards of Pasadena and Hollywood clubs.