Reaction score
Yes or no?

Endless train beats?
Or deep, groovin’ pocket?

Feel free to elaborate…

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Depends on the country. I play in a country / classic rock band and some of the stuff is pretty fun. Weird timings and such. But for the most part it’s easy I do enjoy playing it we play mostly the butt rock country. Florida Georgia line, etc but I love playing classic rock. Now that is not boring.

rkingston

Reaction score
Can’t stand listening to most modern country music, but it’s a heck of a blast to play on stage. Listen to any of it for a little longer than you can stand and you’ll hear some of the best played parts and best recorded drum sounds out there.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well … I played and toured country music in Texas in the 70s.
But I didn’t play the country grooves like the records (those were little black discs we used to set a needle on in order to hear some cat sing).
I played relatively explosive rock drum grooves to those country tunes.
I had a blast.
It was different each and every night and nobody complained.
We played a TON of chili cook offs and honky tonks.
Heck, we even got to play Gilley’s … and trust me, if they had an issue with all that rock noise coming from me, they would have let us know in a somewhat direct manner.

So … I guess my answer would be ”the drumming is boring if you make it boring”.

Tubwompus

Reaction score
For someone like myself who has a mental shortcoming in the form of a disconnect between the time as heard from behind the kit, in relation to hearing the time out in the world*, the modern stuff has an astronomical time standard. So the attempts at recreating that to the standard that I want to maintain in the heat of battle is far too focused an endeavor for me to ever call it “boring”. The listener, however, may absolutely find it to be nap-inducing, I dunno. All’s I know is there’s parts to be played, and to be played well, or not at all.

*”Wull hayil, sounded to me like I was in time whilst I wuzza trackin’ it…I was WRONG.”

-(as always, just my own take)-

Last edited:

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
Depends. If it's the outlaw stuff like Waylon or Merle, or the Bakersfield sound of Buck Owens or Dwight Yoakam, or even the occasional Garth Brooks, then I enjoy playing it. If it's newer but has that classic sound, like Midland or Sturgill Simpson then I also enjoy it. Beyond that it's not necessarily bad, just not my thing.

INeedDrumLessons

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
A good friend of mine plays in a bro country butt rock band and he’s not a fan but it pays well. It’s basically just watered down 80’s rock beats.

crash

DFO Master
Reaction score
Played with honky tonk, country rock, Tex Mex, and cut country demos. All was fun. OTOH, I spent a lot of time doing fill-ins, so there's not many genres I haven't done. Piano jazz, swing band, rock-a-billy, to original alt metal. It's what *you* do with what you've got to work with. Make it feel good! That's where the fun is........
100_3340.jpeg

Last edited: