header.nohb.html

Is country drumming boring?

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is his snare drum that's at the CMHOF.

IMG_2768.JPG
IMG_2769.JPG
IMG_2770.JPG

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
Most of my gigs are guitar and pedal steel. I play drums because I like to play drums - I rarely gig on them because, well, there aren't a lot of pedal steel players around here, to say the least. I mean, steel has even cut into how much I gig on guitar even though I've been playing guitar seriously since the 60s. But there are lots of guitarists and drummers.

On guitar, I play a lot of different styles. Started out playing blues, rock, folk, jazz, rockabilly, whatever, guitar a long time ago. Country and steel came later, but I've played a lot of it in the last 25 years. I only started getting serious about drums later also. My opinion is that 'classic' country drumming (and bass, for that matter) is definitely more subtle. I mean, they didn't allow drums on the Grand Ole Opry until what, the late 50? And many of the stalwarts were opposed to drums even then. But IMO, good country is more sophisticated than many people think. Yes, the bluegrass/rockabilly-influenced stuff can heavily lean on train beats. Which can be fun in and of itself if done well. And there are lot of straight 8's. But if you think about it, a lot of classic country - especially the more 'countrypolitan' variety - is basically pop music - to me the drumming is more like jazz/pop drumming. Side stick and brushes are often mandatory with a lot of classic and countrypolitan drumming. And how about country shuffles? Western swing influenced stuff? Waltzes and 6/8 stuff? Buck Owens/Texas type polkas/two-step? Or the 70s disco-country (yes, there was a lot of that, I try to forget about that.)

Anyway - I can usually hear it when a rock drummer in a country band hasn't ever played this type of classic country. Same as I can hear when a rock guitar player in a country band hasn't ever played country. Or when a classic country player who hasn't ever played rock tries to do that. They all have things that must be mastered.

Now, as far as modern country goes, a lot of it is heavily based on rock - especially 70s, 80s, and maybe 90s somewhat, and definitely with a strong southern rock influence. And sometimes even funk or hip-hop. When I'm at a country bar/club, it might as well be techno/dance/hip-hop on set breaks, but of course with the mandatory fiddle/steel to give it that 'country imprint', LOL. I'm working with a modern-ish country band right now. We don't go much further back than Alan Jackson, George Strait, Waylon, Hank Jr., and so on, and do quite a bit of more modern material, including quite a bit of original material. The drummer is rock-oriented, but nails everything 'cause he's a good drummer and has been playing it for a long time. We talk about drums sometimes, I don't think he's bored. I would not be bored. But I confess that I'm definitely not a 'progressive rock' type of player. But I think there are lots of interesting ways to play country music that still are appropriate in the realm of playing country music. Of course, if you dislike country music, you will probably dislike playing country music, so YMMV.
Well put sir

Stalky55

Reaction score
I played in country bands professionally, like anything else, it's as boring as you make it.
Also spent years playing heavy rock, blues, funk and soul.
There's a lot of very talented musicians on the country scene and many styles of country.
As a drummer you may be a key part of the band but it's not just about you, it's about the whole thing, there's plenty of opportunity to put your own mark on it but it's the finished product that counts.
If you're bored it'll show, that goes for any other genre too.
I never got bored playing country, it kept a roof over my head too.
Don't knock it.

petereather

Reaction score
Before Covid was at a festival should I say country fair I got talking to the sound man on the main stage we talked about sound speakers on and on we got to type of music he said country shows are always sold out pay more crowd is always having a blast . Just Sayin .

Jazz Turkey

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fills in traditional country??

5 stroke rolls?
Maybe “pat Boone, Debbie Boone”?

What are the classic fills in country drumming?

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Only yesterday was asked to do a Country duo gig late January playing snare drum with brushes with a good singer/guitarist. Done this before and it was always fun to dress up for it and see the crowd participating in both Cowboy outfits and dancing. Never boring for me.