header.nohb.html

Is country drumming boring?

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
By Gatekeeper I mean Judgemental and close minded like you are being ..
It still takes talent to play modern country just look up a Josh Redman clinic video ….
I am VERY closed minded i admit, but life is too short to suffer through new stuff when theres so much great old stuff that the new is based off of.
Old school still rules.
** It takes an incredible amount of talent for ANY us work each extremity independently and stop/start etc.
I was merely answering a question and explaining why, as opposed to “because i said so” stance.
rock on.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am VERY closed minded i admit, but life is too short to suffer through new stuff when theres so much great old stuff that the new is based off of.
Old school still rules.
** It takes an incredible amount of talent for ANY us work each extremity independently and stop/start etc.
I was merely answering a question and explaining why, as opposed to “because i said so” stance.
rock on.
I don’t care for modern country either , but I’m not gonna say it’s talentless crud either …..

You just come across as the typical old
everything new sucks and it was all better back in my day fellas …

You even just “ doubled down “ on it ..

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
Or Steel guitar :) sometimes both....of the two I prefer steel
I don’t care for modern country either , but I’m not gonna say it’s talentless crud either …..

You just come across as the typical old
everything new sucks and it was all better back in my day fellas …

You even just “ doubled down “ on it ..
I am a curmudgeon. Lol. Have a good night.

Jazz Turkey

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I know the “perfect” country shuffle/train beat might look easy, but the nuance and timing can be tricky.

Anybody have examples of a perfect country train beat?

Tornado

DFO Star
Reaction score
I've played some classic country. I actually enjoy playing it, even if I don't listen to it for fun. You don't really have anywhere to hide, so you have to be on your game. Time has to be great because people are dancing, dynamics have to be right. And the audiences you play for just love it.

McLovin’ me Ludwigs

Reaction score
I know the “perfect” country shuffle/train beat might look easy, but the nuance and timing can be tricky.

Anybody have examples of a perfect country train beat?
Jonny Cash: Folsum prison blues.
Various artists: Orange blossom special.
Charlie Daniels Band: Devil Went Down To Georgia.

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
How about this one? train beat...

You get extra points if you WATCH (can't just listen) to the video all the way thru... pretty obnoxious

markrocks68

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
NOT boring.
But I play early classic country & western swing.
And it's a WHOLE LOTTA FUN! :D

Attachments

• IMG_5205.jpg
    IMG_5205.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 12

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Boring... yes. But so is the music. Lets be real, there is no real country music any more. Just autotuned twang pop made by a closed off industry that doesn't know what music is, they just sell whatever bean counters tell them will make money.
You need to try some red dirt or Texas country. There are plenty of new artists playing new, real country music. Put in “new Texas country”, Shane Smith and the Saints, Randall King, Jon Stork, Mike and the Moonpies, Randy Roger’s band, Wade Bowen, Josh Abbott band into Spotify or whatever streaming service you have….I could list A LOT more.
These artist will get your foot tapping and the girls dancing! Might even make ya want to buy boots and a cowboy hat!

My dilema is I’m in a cover band here in Southeast Phoenix and I know country is BIG, but getting everyone else to play it is like pulling teeth! We’re pretty good but we would play out so much more if we got some more country songs.

Current country on the radio or Sirius is corporate crap IMHO.

hardbat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Up until about 6 months ago, I would have said boring for sure. But recently I've been subbing in a local Bakersfield-sound group, and it's been a fun challenge. I say challenge because to play it decently as a sub demands a lot of prep - those tunes aren't just 8-8-8-8, they're all over the place, like 8-7-9-6+(1/2). It's pretty satisfying to nail the grooves and the forms. If I had to play it all the time, I'd probably get bored, but for now I'm enjoying it.
Oh, and at first I thought I'd get laughed at for having a crib sheet with the forms sketched out, until they told me the regular drummer had a similar crib sheet of his own too.