header.nohb.html

Is country drumming boring?

RayB

Reaction score
I have played in what was billed as a Country band where even Bluegrass featured. I found it fun just to "lay it down" for the band rhythmically and tended to use just a miced snare drum so was even more limited on what I could play. Seemed to be what the music called for at the time and I was not worried about being "featured" or boring. I always think about what the overall sound of the band is rather than just my playing.
I get a little weary of the limited chords (to put it mildly). BUT, the songs tells a little story; the old country stars were great at that. I think of the story and the over-all sound of the band; what's the best drumming that fits? Also, the songs aren't very long, you get to shift gears.
I was having a conversation in my city's dog park with a bunch of fellow 2-legs RE country music. Definitely us old farts can't stand the new stuff, especially,
I'm real country, That Ain't My Truck but that's my girl, where has my country gone?, this country boy will kick your city ass, freedom's a truck and a beer, times was when a man married a woman, we don't call 911 around here, she's back to whorin', I'm getting drunk tonight-wish some liberal wants to fight, can a city girl like you love a country boy like me?, they can take away all I got-but they'll never get my Skynrd, I'm proud of my boots-got something to say city boy.....
To my surprise, some of the 20-somethings joined in and said they hate the new country, too. They like the stuff their parents and grand parents play much better,

"I heard this guy singing 'My country Tizadee', how great his country is. I grabbed him by the collar and said , You're in America, you sing about America. I don't want to hear about your crappy country Tizadee. If you like Tizadee so much, go back there. Don't say nothin' about Tizadee, you hear?
My buddy said I may have misunderstood the words, but I said there's no misunderstanding. I stand up for America, any time any place, You gotta fight for our freedom or we'll lose it to a s____hole country like Tizadee"

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
Country drumming boring? No.
Country music boring. Yes, for the most part.
Would I play it? Absolutely.

And don't tell me it's easy, unless your pocket is as deep as best session drummer's. The biggest self-delusion drummers seem to have is, that sparse and simple beats are easy, when in fact they are the ones that magnify and make all your timing issues very obvious to everyone. :D

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I’ve been playing for a country artist for just about two years. People can call it whatever they want. I call it money. I’ve made more money playing this over the past two years than I’ve ever made playing any other style of music during my career to this point. I’ve also played bigger venues, better festivals, etc.

Peano

Reaction score
Reminds me of a story about Buddy Rich. He went to the ER one day with a flare-up of one of his many medical problems. The intake nurse asked him about medications he was currently taking, carefully recording them on his chart.

"Is there anything you can't take?" she asked.

Without missing a beat, Buddy said, "Country music."

RCDCllc

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is country music boring to play? Probably if you don't like it. I find some of the country music to be very challenging and fun and some it's just keeping the beat. How you feel about it when you're playing is the key and that's determined by you and your attitude. I love watching a drummer who can just lay down a simple boring beat and look like they're having fun doing it. I dislike watching a drummer who looks or is acting bored. It kills the whole performance.

Cooter

Reaction score
He
Depends. If it's the outlaw stuff like Waylon or Merle, or the Bakersfield sound of Buck Owens or Dwight Yoakam, or even the occasional Garth Brooks, then I enjoy playing it. If it's newer but has that classic sound, like Midland or Sturgill Simpson then I also enjoy it. Beyond that it's not necessarily bad, just not my thing.
Might as well throw Steve Earle and Marty Stuart in there too.

sjconolly

Reaction score
As with any style, it should be about the song and not your part. Find out what makes the song work, and how your part supports it. If you're covering a popular song there must be something about it that people enjoy hearing, and you need to connect with that.

notINtheband

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This pretty much sums up my feelings about country music drumming.
As usual, Buddy Rich is FOS. I like steak and I also like a cheeseburger.
I enjoy looking at a Picasso, or a Rembrandt, but I also enjoy watching Saturday morning cartoons.
I play matched grip, and traditional. As obi-Wan Kenobi once said, only a Sith deals in absolutes.

DrumWhipper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a pic somewhere of Marty Stuart kissing my wife.

Long story
Our bass player was once in Marty's bluegrass band. There is a photo of him and Marty together in Marty's display in the Country Music Hall of Fame.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Absolutely not boring. Ive done folk gigs where I was on brushes all night and those were not boring. When you are playing simply it's all about the texture and colors you offer in the music. Listen attentively to the soloists and lyricist and use dynamics and different textures in your playing to color the picture of the tune. It's only boring if you're mind is not open to it.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Played with honky tonk, country rock, Tex Mex, and cut country demos. All was fun. OTOH, I spent a lot of time doing fill-ins, so there's not many genres I haven't done. Piano jazz, swing band, rock-a-billy, to original alt metal. It's what *you* do with what you've got to work with. Make it feel good! That's where the fun is........
View attachment 595928
Well Said!