header.nohb.html

Is country drumming boring?

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
To all the comments about the (supposed) chordal simplicity of Country Music... I have sung and strummed rock/folk/country music all my life and currently have a large repertoire of songs that I work thru/perform regularly. Folk and rock can be just as simplistic as country, and all styles can also have wonderful chord changes.

If you think country is especially simplistic, learn the chord progressions to these three songs and we will talk:

TUMBLIN' TUMBLEWEEDS (Sons of the pioneers)

LONDON HOMESICK BLUES (Jerry Jeff Walker)

IT AIN'T COOL (George Strait)

Last edited:

flam5adiddle

Reaction score
Yes or no?

Endless train beats?
Or deep, groovin’ pocket?

Feel free to elaborate…
It’s not about how interesting or challenging the grooves might be, it’s whether or not you like the music and are having fun.

If you like country music, and the ensemble is lifting each other up like in any good situation, you could definitely have a good time keeping it simple and groovy all night long. Doubly so if the crowd is into it.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s not about how interesting or challenging the grooves might be, it’s whether or not you like the music and are having fun.

If you like country music, and the ensemble is lifting each other up like in any good situation, you could definitely have a good time keeping it simple and groovy all night long. Doubly so if the crowd is into it.

I used to do a bit of fill in gigs .
Some nights were just awful ..
Every time I’ve played for the $$
I’ve ended up miserable ….

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Reputation is everything.

I arrived at an audition for a country band that was working steady around town .

Singer says " Benny , you're that fusion drummer right ? "

Oh oh . I had some unlearning to do .

Ryukyu

Reaction score
I'm not a big fan of country music, but have done some fill-in gigs with country bands. I can always seem to find something in most music that I'm playing to keep it interesting for me. For example, in country, because I'm not as familiar with a lot of the songs, it takes more concentration and listening to make sure I follow, support the music and try to keep time as consistently as possible. That's enough to keep my interest.

David Peraldo

Reaction score
Been in country bands for years. Love it, the old stuff through most of the 80’s. That stuff takes discipline. It all started to change in the late 80’s. Still a lot of good tunes. Now, Jason Andean could open for Aerosmith.

David Peraldo

Reaction score
Been in country bands for years. Love it, the old stuff through most of the 80’s. That stuff takes discipline. It all started to change in the late 80’s. Still a lot of good tunes. Now, Jason Andean could open for Aerosmith.
Listen to one of my favorite country session drummers, Eddie Bayers. Phenomenal player. He’s on a ton of records as a first call.

Ludwig universe

Reaction score
Yes or no?

Endless train beats?
Or deep, groovin’ pocket?

Feel free to elaborate…
I have played country for over 20 years it isn't boring. In the mid and late 90s l toured professionally with label signed country artists. Let me tell you those l played with demanded 100% and some of those beats and rhythms could be challenging. Country music then started transitioning over and l wasn't too fond of it. If you are a traditional player and you have worked hard to play with traditional artists and all of a sudden you need to switch up to a newer style it can be difficult. Try playing a George Jones tune and make it have a hip hop style beat. I just couldn't stomach that stylistically. The older country artists will fire you if you try to play or sound untraditional. It takes some skills to play country and most players today cant play it. I hear young drummers try to play traditional country today and unless they have the experience they miss the pocket and their timing is off or they use drums they shouldn't. I dont know how many traditional country drummers are left out there but l will tell you they are highly skilled and they know how to play. If you want to see a master at work look no further than Paul Liem or Harry Stinson.

Ludwig universe

Reaction score
Country drumming boring? No.
Country music boring. Yes, for the most part.
Would I play it? Absolutely.

And don't tell me it's easy, unless your pocket is as deep as best session drummer's. The biggest self-delusion drummers seem to have is, that sparse and simple beats are easy, when in fact they are the ones that magnify and make all your timing issues very obvious to everyone. :D
You are spot on. Some of those big slow ballads can be very challenging to play. You want to stay out of the way and let the artist craft the story. Those type of songs were some of my favorites to play. You cant rush and the playing has to be in a very deep big pocket or it doesn't work.

ambrosepottie

Reaction score
The drummer backing Meryl Streep in this clip doesn't look bored. I know I would have fun in the drum chair on this tune:

Mark French, who played briefly with Toronto's Blue Rodeo. I did some demo recording with them after Mark left, we shared a rehearsal space.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Seems to me that contemporary country music, at least the commercial, Nashville side of it has morphed into something so close, at least rhythmically, to pop and rock styles that the vibe f the drumming isn't really that much different. The drumming on more traditional, old school type country is more of a specially kind of thing, with it's own collection of grooves. On most of that stuff the drums aren't really the focus though so if the drummer is doing something special, most of us aren't really going to pick up on that, even if the drums are adding some really great, really subtle special sauce to the song. I'd say that with that stuff, similar to the drumming on old blues records, that it isn't necissarily boring to play, just that it's kind of without much glory as most listeners don't focus at all on that part of it. There are always exceptions though and that makes me think of the drumming on Buck Owens records which is, at least to my ears, a bigger ingredient of the overall sound. Something about that music, though I'd classify it as kind of traditional country type music, still has a bit of a rock and roll element so the drums are more up front and the drummer is a really good player!

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that contemporary country music, at least the commercial, Nashville side of it has morphed into something so close, at least rhythmically, to pop and rock styles that the vibe f the drumming isn't really that much different. The drumming on more traditional, old school type country is more of a specially kind of thing, with it's own collection of grooves. On most of that stuff the drums aren't really the focus though so if the drummer is doing something special, most of us aren't really going to pick up on that, even if the drums are adding some really great, really subtle special sauce to the song. I'd say that with that stuff, similar to the drumming on old blues records, that it isn't necissarily boring to play, just that it's kind of without much glory as most listeners don't focus at all on that part of it. There are always exceptions though and that makes me think of the drumming on Buck Owens records which is, at least to my ears, a bigger ingredient of the overall sound. Something about that music, though I'd classify it as kind of traditional country type music, still has a bit of a rock and roll element so the drums are more up front and the drummer is a really good player!

You nailed it on the Buck Owens observation!!

I’m currently learning Buck Owens for a tribute band …

E472870B-68BA-4EFB-A92C-31B0853C1E90.jpeg

The guitarist hadn’t heard me play , I was hired because he knows who I play for , he was still worried if I could capture the right feel . After our 1st rehearsal he said I’ll be danged you nailed it , I’ve had a hard time finding drummers for traditional country in the past ….
I was beaming with pride ….

RayB

Reaction score
He

Might as well throw Steve Earle and Marty Stuart in there too.
I have a background of loving Miles Davis, Coltrane, Mingus, Monk. Ellington, Basie, Beatles, The Band, Armstrong and probably most of the great bands the last century...
I say without hesitation that in his genre, Marty Stewart is on the same level as any of the greats I've heard. He has a fantastic band. Great feel for music that only the best have.

psych o pated

Reaction score
Second that... I spent 25 years playing in three different very successful bar bands in N. Arizona... we were definitely "country" bands but we played EVERYTHING... CCR, Bob Seger, Eagles, Beatles, Disco, Warren Zevon (!), 50's Rock oldies, PLUS all the old Merle, Hank, Waylon, Buck, George Jones, plus lotsa Bob Wills type western/country swing.

I learned to swing from playing country, and also learned to lay down a REALLY SLOW half time (6/8 feel) waltz (Waylon style... "Amanda", "Mamas" etc). Also learned a passable train beat.

Aside from all the rock/pop we did, I felt there was PLENTY of variety in the "country" music to keep me interested. I never woulda played all that swing and really slow stuff if I would have been playing AC/DC and AEROSMITH all night.

All real good music right there.