Is it just me?

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does anyone notice a lot of YouTube videos that feature or demo vintage kits (mainly by younger guys) that the drums are tuned way to low , almost deadsville. I know there’s no wrong or right way and if that’s your sound then have at it. However 3plys sing when tuned to mid range .

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
it's fear of Jazz a common youtube condition
called the firehall give me three steps tuning it is the norm. offends no one. also educates , no one..
it's the my my my my my boogie shoes rampant tuning rampant across the internet.
(shh don't want offennnd anyone)
every one play pillows

Last edited:

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
It’s not always the drums. I did a FB live recently. I tune my drums up higher with the exception of the 18” floor that I purposely tune it down low. The drums were big and full sounding in the room yet on FB live my drums sounded rather dead. Definitely not the way my drums sound and it was something in the mix going out to FB.

carl1969

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It’s not always the drums. I did a FB live recently. I tune my drums up higher with the exception of the 18” floor that I purposely tune it down low. The drums were big and full sounding in the room yet on FB live my drums sounded rather dead. Definitely not the way my drums sound and it was something in the mix going out to FB.
Did you have any control over the mix ?

patrickwitherow

Reaction score
I thought I liked my toms tuned on the lower side - until I tried tuning them higher. It was amazing to hear the drum come to life with just a little more tension than what I usually tune at. I then went higher and was more impressed. The floor tom - it growls deeply at really any tuning, but both my 9x13's really sing warmly and cut when tuned higher.

dboomer

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought I liked my toms tuned on the lower side - until I tried tuning them higher. It was amazing to hear the drum come to life with just a little more tension than what I usually tune at.
My thought exactly. Bonham used big drums but tuned them up.