header.nohb.html

Is it possible to add a quote while editing a post?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just noticed that we can’t delete our own posts anymore after I double posted something to quote the person who asked the question I was trying to help with. To avoid that in the future is it possible to add a quote to a completed post?

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If nothing else, you can always start a new quote and just copy/paste it into the edit of your completed post and then not finish the one you grabbed the quote from.

EDIT: Or so I thought. Can't seem to select the quote. I can certainly do that on other boards, guess I don't remember if we used to be able to do that here.

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The current verision of the software doesn't make it easy, but you can add quotes to a post after you post it. Part of the trick to operating on quotes as if they are ordinary text lies in toggling on and off the mode which makes them "special and different".

I've kept the state of this post before posting and am talking about the control I've drawn an arrow to.

Screen Shot 2023-01-20 at 1.58.36 PM.png

If nothing else, you can always start a new quote and just copy/paste it into the edit of your completed post and then not finish the one you grabbed the quote from.

EDIT: Or so I thought. Can't seem to select the quote. I can certainly do that on other boards, guess I don't remember if we used to be able to do that here.
I just noticed that we can’t delete our own posts anymore after I double posted something to quote the person who asked the question I was trying to help with. To avoid that in the future is it possible to add a quote to a completed post?

Now I've added in your posts as quotes

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Now I'll see about not being able to delete your own posts anymore. I seem to remember that came up months ago.

Yes deleting your own post is disabled, seemingly as soon as you post it. I'd say somebody made some changes to the settings. There are a bundle of issues which came in at a change a few months back. I'm afraid my energy levels aren't what they used to be so I'm not able to raise the energy to document them and suggest fixes.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thank you

ended up using a two step method. Reply to the quotes pressing Reply. If you do that one after the other they both end up in a new (not yet posted reply). Go into the not yet posted reply and

add some of your own text outside the quotes to help you see what is what.
copy everything starting with your own text
paste into the other post of yours which you are editing.
this last step is where toggling on and off the preview mode helps.

To get rid of your now redundant pending second post (containing your two quotes plus your own text outside the quotes) delete everything in it and press the Post Reply. If you have really deleted everything this action will result in an error message which does what you want. Alas it only works wne the post is pending the first time. If you accidentally post it, then I haven't found any way to delete it.

It is more complicated to describe all this stuff than it would be for somebody who does maintenance on the site to fix the settings. Computer software...feh.

Last edited:

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you

I ended up using a two step method. Reply to the quotes pressing Reply. If you do that one after the other they both end up in a new (not yet posted reply). Go into the not yet posted reply and

To get rid of your now redundant pending second post (containing your two quotes plus your own text outside the quotes) delete everything in it and press the Post Reply. If you have really deleted everything this action will result in an error message which does what you want. Alas it only works wne the post is pending the first time. If you accidentally post it, then I haven't found any way to delete it.

It is more complicated to describe all this stuff than it would be for somebody who does maintenance on the site to fix the settings. Computer software...feh.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I ended up using a two step method. Reply to the quotes pressing Reply. If you do that one after the other they both end up in a new (not yet posted reply). Go into the not yet posted reply and

I’m not sure I understand the question.

is it possible to add a quote to a completed post?
I added that while editing, by selecting the quote and hitting “reply”.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Not having much luck with this plan. It might be a mobile issue, but more likely a me issue. I think I figured out a workaround to accomplish the same thing though. If I edit a post, I can just tag the person I’m trying to refer to. @zenstat thanks

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

is it possible to add a quote to a completed post?

Posted it and now editing.

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't you think understand the question. Or I was answering a harder one. It's not doing it before you post.

It's doing it after you post and are editing.

multijd

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't you think understand the question. Or I was answering a harder one. It's not doing it before you post.

It's doing it after you post and are editing.
I think my second post was the correct scenario. Tried to edit the first reply and use the reply button on your post. It made a new post. Is this correct?

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think my second post was the correct scenario. Tried to edit the first reply and use the reply button on your post. It made a new post. Is this correct?

You description is correct. What happens with the software is not helpful. The only way to add a quote is complex involving other techniques. I know 3 techniques which do work, but I've given one as an example.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Posted it and now editing.
Try to add a quote from another post into yours after you have already hit post reply. At least on the mobile version of the site, I can’t make it happen. I can copy and paste the text of your response, but it won’t show you as the source.

zenstat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Try to add a quote from another post into yours after you have already hit post reply. At least on the mobile version of the site, I can’t make it happen. I can copy and paste the text of your response, but it won’t show you as the source.

A second method is you can drop down into bbcode and do it by hand. (posting now)

Now I'm editing my post and will put some quotes in

multijd said:

1988fxif said:

The difference between this method and the two step method is that this method ends up with the attribution correct to the original poster, but it doesn't have a little link to go to the quoted post.

I've just dropped into bbcode and added quote tags around the text I copied and pasted. There is a location somewhere I can point you to which has the bbcode documentation. Here it is

I am just using the quote tag. I'm familiar with bbcode and happy to drop into it to get what I want. I don't usually bother with what is left of the editing controls at the top of the edit window.

Last edited: