header.nohb.html

Is it possible to delete a post?

jmetatual

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I thought there was a 'delete' option in edit a post? Can't find it now.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Not sure, we did move to newer software awhile ago, that feature may not be in there.
If I find out differently will let you know, Ben

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to be able to do it. But no more. So it must have gone away in a fairly recent software "upgrade."

The closest thing you can do now is to change the title of your post and delete the internals.

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I figure the most efficient method to get something deleted is to just insert some nasty words and some political claptrap into the post.
It'll get nixed pretty quick and that'll be that.
It's like having a chambermaid to clean up your mess ... unfortunately, without the cool outfit though.
Hey! There's a dandy fund raising idea!!!

EDIT - it was a joke.

Last edited:

jmetatual

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to be able to do it. But no more. So it must have gone away in a fairly recent software "upgrade."

I can understand why it may have been removed as an option. Some members would delete their post(s) days or weeks later and it can really disrupt the continuity of a thread. The feature was handy when initially posting a response, for example when two people post the same answer at nearly the same time, or if a "quote" mistake was made. Perhaps a compromise could be a 'delete post' option that can only be used within a specified amount of time of the initial posting (e.g. 5 minutes).

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
I can understand why it may have been removed as an option. Some members would delete their post(s) days or weeks later and it can really disrupt the continuity of a thread. The feature was handy when initially posting a response, for example when two people post the same answer at nearly the same time, or if a "quote" mistake was made. Perhaps a compromise could be a 'delete post' option that can only be used within a specified amount of time of the initial posting (e.g. 5 minutes).

Some other sites I use have a 1 to 4 hour delete rule. Usually I can figure out within an hour if I missed anything or said anything really stupid....or the meaning could be mis-interpreted....or much of entire post wasn't appropriate or "helpful". One of our ex-members told me after their permanent banning that one of the reasons given to them was changing their posts too often....or even deleting them.

Under current software you can't edit a personal message after about 5 minutes. I don't know how many times I've left out some key information, or miss-spelled something (making me look like an idiot)....and I can't go back and add/change things. I then end up sending 3-4 messages instead of just a single complete one. Yeah, I could construct a perfectly written and executed "term paper" separately, then paste it in after proof-reading it 3 times. Who has time for that? I think and type on the run in the limited time windows available.......often with my fingers and brain not working 100% together........mistakes and omissions do happen.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
Dont think it exists, new software adds things and takes them away sometimes unnoticed.