header.nohb.html

Is it really a "keeper" or not?

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I was doing some research on a particular snare drum today, and thought I remembered seeing good reviews here on the forum. When I searched, I did indeed find a couple of glowing reviews. But one really stood out, where the owner of the drum said "this one will forever stay." The same thing was reiterated again later in the thread.

And wouldn't you know it, I also found the same drum from the same person being SOLD later on. I will give credit where it's due, the "forever" remarks and the sale were about 6 years apart.

As I think back on some of my gear choices and experiments, I know there have been times when I thought a drum or a cymbal was a "keeper" forever, only to sell it later for some reason. Sometimes that's been the right move -- my tastes have changed, or I was in a jam and needed the cash, or I was being a hoarder and had too many of the same kind of thing. Occasionally, that's been something I regret and I have looked in vain for a replacement later. And VERY rarely, I have been able to get back the thing I let go.

How do you decide if the "one" you have is a keeper? Any good stories about the one that got sold and you wish you had kept?

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
I sold a mint condition Pearl Sensitone that I wish I hadn't. I didn't give it enough attention and decided I'm out of GAS and purged off a few snares I had too many.

That Blacro I bought from you - same thing.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a chance to get the exact Signia kit back 2 years ago …..

I passed . It needed a bass drum rewrap and my Fibes are the same sizes plus it has one more tom . And it’s way prettier .

Sound wise they are close ….

Sold a WMP 20/22/14 Slingerland kit with a one ply snare .
Took me 15 years to feel like I replaced it my BDP kit …

Now I need my 22” swish back !!!!

kallen49

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having bought and sold a few kits and cymbals over the past 49 years I'm at peace with all the decisions I've made.
Still have and will keep my first four Zildjian cymbals.

Since I separated from wife and sold house last year, (now...there is a story), I've spent about $5k on drums/cymbals. But I'm beyond believing anything is "forever".

Our culture teaches and encourages us to acquire stuff but not so much on letting go?
No matter how much you obsess about it it's just stuff.

For me, the music we make that disappears into the air is far more valuable than stuff.

DanRH

Old guy, getting younger
Reaction score
Was that me? Ha. Tell me about the "keeper". I like to think all of my current kits are keepers...but who knows what tomorrow may bring (great Traffic quote BTW). When I purchased a C&C kit tht I had built, I was sure it would be a keeper...once I played it though, I thought, uh oh. I owned for two minutes.

paul

DFO Master
Reaction score
In 1998 I sold a 66 6.5x14 Supersensitive along with a set of Gretsch, and really wish I'd kept ti. That said, a year or two later I got a 6.5x14 DW Craviotto that has been my workhorse drum ever since. As long as I can play I'll have it, my turquoise Gretsch, and a couple of rides.

Steech

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was doing some research on a particular snare drum today, and thought I remembered seeing good reviews here on the forum. When I searched, I did indeed find a couple of glowing reviews. But one really stood out, where the owner of the drum said "this one will forever stay." The same thing was reiterated again later in the thread.

And wouldn't you know it, I also found the same drum from the same person being SOLD later on. I will give credit where it's due, the "forever" remarks and the sale were about 6 years apart.

As I think back on some of my gear choices and experiments, I know there have been times when I thought a drum or a cymbal was a "keeper" forever, only to sell it later for some reason. Sometimes that's been the right move -- my tastes have changed, or I was in a jam and needed the cash, or I was being a hoarder and had too many of the same kind of thing. Occasionally, that's been something I regret and I have looked in vain for a replacement later. And VERY rarely, I have been able to get back the thing I let go.

How do you decide if the "one" you have is a keeper? Any good stories about the one that got sold and you wish you had kept?
For me a keeper is a drum or cymbal that I decide to play more than once. It’s a high bar, I admit.

drumflyer

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tastes and preferences change. Weekly, heck daily, yearly whatever. Now big cymbals and fat deep snare drums for what I play. I don’t sell anything as I might need it later down the road. If it isn’t a dog, don’t sell it, you may regret it!

xtranoise

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have gone through a couple cycles over the decades where I had to sell everything due to the stages of life. Wish I had all my original Paiste 2002 cymbals back from the 70's-80's. The last time I owned gear I had just bought a Supra for cheap and a DW 9000 double pedal also at a really great price. Wish I had kept those. Having said all that, I am very pleased with my current gear and enjoying adding to it as I can and find things I've wanted for years.

aparker2005

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've sold a few things I wish I hadn't, but it was always to fund something I couldn't fully afford without some additional play money.

That said, I've currently come to a spot where I have nothing I want to sell, and for whatever reasons, want a few more things still.

katulu

Reaction score
I sold a few snares, only a couple very mild regrets, but now I prefer not to sell - I rather work with tuning, heads, wires until I find something I like. Of course, there ARE wonderful snares with WIDE tuning ranges and that can sound GREAT with just about ANY combo - I do have a couple of those - but where's the fun in that? That said, I think it's rather obvious the wonder snares are most certainly keepers - but one or two-trick ponies can be too.

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Having bought and sold a few kits and cymbals over the past 49 years I'm at peace with all the decisions I've made.
Still have and will keep my first four Zildjian cymbals.

Since I separated from wife and sold house last year, (now...there is a story), I've spent about $5k on drums/cymbals. But I'm beyond believing anything is "forever".

Our culture teaches and encourages us to acquire stuff but not so much on letting go?
No matter how much you obsess about it it's just stuff.

For me, the music we make that disappears into the air is far more valuable than stuff.
That right there... With the exception of the wife part, he's reading my mail!