header.nohb.html

Is Jazz drumming snobby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JazzAcolyte

Reaction score
Yes this is a retort to the other thread but serious question. Snobby? Condescending, upper class?

Did Buddy look down on country and rock music because he thought he was better than it?

Is country and rock the lower class genre in the music industry?
The jazz drummers I know personally are all adept at other styles and in some cases played other styles for years before getting into jazz. (With the possible exception of the great Winard Harper, not sure if he ever played anything else.) So no lack of respect for other genres there.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
The jazz drummers I know personally are all adept at other styles and in some cases played other styles for years before getting into jazz. (With the possible exception of the great Winard Harper, not sure if he ever played anything else.) So no lack of respect for other genres there.
You know this was half tongue in cheek, right?

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the more educated musically a person is the less likely they are snobby
and actually more open and accepting of all forms of music.

I find the fans of the more basic music to be snobby towards other forms of music they simply don’t like .
I am snobby to myself sometimes. Depends on me.

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it’s snobby. Anyone who says it isn’t is simply a snob themselves.

That being said, it depends on the type of jazz you play. Dixieland is much less snobby than bebop.

Louis Prima - not snobby
Miles Davis - snobby

Last edited:

mydadisjr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When I go down to the river in my pickup truck with my daisy duke shorts wearing GF and a cooler of beer we never listen to jazz while guzzling bud lite
That’s all I know …

Did you have the tailgate down...
parked on the dirt road,
with yer sweet purty gal dancin' in the moonlight?
Listenin' to Miles and Bird on the 8-track

Cuz that's the way we roll...
Down at the jazz club!

lamartee

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jazzers certainly Looking way Cooler
1670461115868.png

(Except for Charlie)
1670461542949.png

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's like the old joke, "A spaceman, Snidely Whiplash and Luke Skywalker's emo brother walk into a geisha house..."
Holy geez you just sawed me right in half with that one!!! Laughed so hard I think I might have some bruised ribs....

My GF came to see what was going on what with me laughing uncontrollably while pointing at the screen. Well she doesn't know who those guys are but she said your description was pretty on point and laughed too....

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the more educated musically a person is the less likely they are snobby
and actually more open and accepting of all forms of music.

I find the fans of the more basic music to be snobby towards other forms of music they simply don’t like .

I’m not snobbish. I hate everyone:)

But I do agree. We’ve all come across the “musician” that plays a song their way because they can’t play it the right way

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
I filled in for jam night with a band about 30 years ago. They told me there might be one or ten drummers sitting in. It was Bobby Jarzombek’s regular local band at the time but he normally didn’t do jam night. I was young and just wanted to play. All was good except this one jazzy looking dude came in with his Reunion Blues stick bag full of pristine VF’s. Typically a jam three or four tunes and move on. After a dozen songs I jokingly walked over and put my name on the sign in list. The band about lost it but he missed the joke.

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We’ve all come across the “musician” that plays a song their way because they can’t play it the right way
You just resumed my whole career in that sentence. I am and will probably always be that "musician". Luckily a lot of the stuff I couldn't play "right" ended up being the basis for new original material and I tour year round based off those...

Status
Not open for further replies.