header.nohb.html

Is Kenny G even jazz?

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think of it as awesome torture music, myself. I really wanted to do a full record of Kenny G tunes played with a kazoo, but that means that I would have to make my ears bleed with that music. But is his music genre jazz or something else?

Please discuss...

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
1670512599292.png

1670512640163.png

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
According to the internet, yes:

"Kenneth Bruce Gorelick, known professionally as Kenny G, is an American smooth jazz saxophonist, composer, and producer. His 1986 album Duotones brought him commercial success. Kenny G is one of the best-selling artists of all time, with global sales totaling more than 75 million records."

Frankly, I'm more of a fan of rough jazz........

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There’s been a big push to stop labeling improvised music as jazz. I’m down with that. Labels constrict, especially in the arts.

paulwells73

Reaction score
I think of it as awesome torture music, myself. I really wanted to do a full record of Kenny G tunes played with a kazoo, but that means that I would have to make my ears bleed with that music. But is his music genre jazz or something else?

Please discuss...
I thought Kenny G’s music was ALREADY recorded on a kazoo…

Also, Kenny G’s music is not jazz. Just because he improvises doesn’t mean it’s jazz. The Grateful Dead improvised, but nobody calls them jazz. At best, Kenny G plays instrumental pop.

Also, how long before someone posts the inevitable Frank Zappa Jazz quote….

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
I won't say one way or the other if he is jazz. I personally cannot stand his music, but you know what? He sure got rich playing it, so he does appeal to more than a niche audience. I have the freedom to say no, but would feel trapped if I were stuck somewhere where I had to endure listening to him for more than a minute.

Lamontsdad

DFO Star
Reaction score
I won't say one way or the other if he is jazz. I personally cannot stand his music, but you know what? He sure got rich playing it, so he does appeal to more than a niche audience. I have the freedom to say no, but would feel trapped if I were stuck somewhere where I had to endure listening to him for more than a minute.
That is my take, as well.