header.nohb.html

Is Kenny G even jazz?

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used to hear people calling whats now mostly referred to as Nu Metal, Mall Metal. Kenny G is Mall jazz. While he’s not likely to end up in heavy rotation on my stereo, he is clearly talented. He was also the sound of going christmas shopping in the early 90’s

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to get into jazz music, so naturally, I have to turn this stone, even if it is a very soft stone :)
It’s a smooth (jazz) stone.
And definitely not a rolling stone. Nor a Sly and the Family stone.
And it’s not a hard rock, or even a soft rock.

Last edited:

bigbonzo

DFO Star
Reaction score
Kenny G, is an American smooth jazz saxophonist, composer, and producer.[1] His 1986 album Duotones brought him commercial success.[1] Kenny G is one of the best-selling artists of all time, with global sales totaling more than 75 million records.[2]

JimmyM

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
After seeing him live a few years ago, I have much more of an appreciation for him and his super tight band. I don’t necessarily want to listen to it in the car, but I was entertained by some really great players. So who cares what you call it or what others think. I respect it.

UptownShakedown

Reaction score

Sounds pretty good to me. If I was you I would spend more time listening to one of the most successful purveyors of the art form and less time being a trendy cynic.

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He visited Thailand and one buddy said "If I played music like that I wouldn't tell anyone my last name either" .... I am ambivalent. He can play well and does what he does.

5stroke

Reaction score
Not in my opinion, but his hairstyle certainly would qualify as a Charlie Bird composition.

Squirrel Man

DFO Master
Reaction score
What kind of music do you think it is, if not jazz?

After seeing him live a few years ago, I have much more of an appreciation for him and his super tight band. I don’t necessarily want to listen to it in the car, but I was entertained by some really great players. So who cares what you call it or what others think. I respect it.
You are officially the most believable person on DFO after admitting that.