Is Ludwig missing the boat on Acros?

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I gather “brushed” is the new Acrolite finish. Historically, the original Acro seems to have done quite well with limited marketing. They got a lot out of a student drum and I think should have left it alone. Perhaps sales of the new lines are suffering and this rebrand is an effort to address it. Lastly, it’s not uncommon for drum companies to provide an exclusive product to a company and may explain the absence on the Ludwig USA site. Is this a Sweetwater only item?

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The coveted status of BOE drums pretty much screws the 8 lug crowd I think. But it ignores the fact that these are coveted because of their rairity and not because of the permutation. It's the inverted flying Jenny of snare drums. From a product line standpoint I think an 8 lug aluminum 6.5" would be killer.
I’m not sure what an inverted flying Jenny is but I’m pretty sure I want one now....

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder how the recently released 8-lug Black Beauty is selling.

Just bought a 8 lug black beauty yesterday.

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I ASSUME that the main reason the BOE drums had 10 lugs is simply because it was a quick, cost-effective way to use Supra shells to get the drums built and supplied quickly to schools.

Beyond that, I don't really see it being necessary that a 6.5 Acro have 10 lugs.

There was a time when 10-lug snares were considered more "pro" because of the added tuneability. However, we now know, again, that there is a sound and a feel to 8-lug snares that is very desirable to many vs. 10.

Ludwig must realize that based on the fact that they brought out the 8-lug 6.5 Black Beauty. What was the point of that, otherwise?

Plus, if all the Acros had been 8-lug, they could have instead done a BB version of the 6.5 brass Acro. That would've been extremely cool, too.

bassanddrum84

Reaction score
This blows my mind. Why call them acros if they offer different metal? I was a huge fan of the black magic snares would love to still own one. But this is ridiculous. To others saying Ludwig never caught up or anything I think that’s great. Same classic ludwigs with out all today’s gimmicks. The acro I know is that ugly but appreciated grey coated snare I had when I was a kid.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There's only one real Acro. That would be the prototype, the 60's Keystone anodized aluminum, the 70's B/O silver painted, the Blackro, ...

But they're all some form of aluminum. I'll give 'em a lot of license to change it up, but it's gotta be aluminum to be a real Acro in my way of thinking.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
There's only one real Acro. That would be the prototype, the 60's Keystone anodized aluminum, the 70's B/O silver painted, the Blackro, ...

But they're all some form of aluminum. I'll give 'em a lot of license to change it up, but it's gotta be aluminum to be a real Acro in my way of thinking.
Maybe they should have called them the “brass magic” and the “copper magic.”

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
missing the boat? it's been milked harder than a desert camel.
Not that this needs saying but, ok, I'll play the game: your comment pertains to the traditional Acro alloy design of the 50+ years. Now that they've apparently decided to mix it up, "missing the boat" refers instead to whether or not these new snares could have been made, IMO, more interesting and unique by having 8 lugs instead of ten.

Yes, of course, the traditional Acro design has been "milked." We're not talking about that.

I hope this is understandable.

Bushwacker

Reaction score

I might have one of the original 6.5 hammered bronze acro’s (joke) from around 1984. I had no idea at that time it should have arrived with different lugs.
CE2DA0D1-276B-4843-9542-83409B32B9AE.jpeg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I might have one of the original 6.5 hammered bronze acro’s (joke) from around 1984. I had no idea at that time it should have arrived with different lugs.
View attachment 472722
Lots of Supras had Bow-tie lugs in 1984. Not sure if it was primarily a 75th anniversary styling thing or due to a shortage of Imperials that weren't replenished before the move out of Chicago.

If I remember right the initial offering of the Acrolite said it was actually MADE of Acrolite. Ludwig's made up name for whatever aluminum alloy they used. I guess the Supraphonic was also made from acrolite but they didn't mention that in the catalog.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see today that Ludwig is apparently releasing a new line of USA "Acro" snares with brass and copper shells...basically, Acrolites with those shells.

Not sure how I feel. Kinda cool on paper, even though, to me, Acro means aluminum alloy.

Anyway...

The 6.5 models have 10 lugs.

I've been trumpeting this a little lately around here, but, IMO, the classic Acro design should be 8-lug snares. 8 lugs is not just a design but a sound...and not an inferior sound. It's a different sound. More open. A wider "spread."

So now we have new 6.5" Acros with cool shell options but still 10 lugs.

And it kinda makes me wonder: How cool would it be if we instead had those brass and copper shells with 8 LUGS (as the "Acro thing") as opposed to the same 10-lug Supra shell?

It just seems redundant. And it seems to pit the Acro and Supra more in competition against each other based on cost-effectiveness as opposed to basing the choice on 8-lug vs. 10. In essence, it seems like this would illogically undercut sales of the more-expensive Supra.

I guess I'm just writing out of frustration here. If I were in charge of r&d at Ludwig, Supra would be my 10-lug line and Acro would be my 8-lug line, across all shell materials.

I mean, how great would it be to have the option of brass and copper 6.5s with 8 lugs??

I don't accept the premise that it saves them significant cost to just recycle the 10-lug shell. It would be nothing in this day and age for Ludwig to set up drilling for both 8 and 10 lugs...just like they do with the 5" shell!!

Unfortunately, I just see this all as a huge missed opportunity for Ludwig to offer some extremely cool 8-lug snares. And in this time when there has been a ton of renewed appreciation for the 8-lug design, followed suit by companies like C&C, George Way, and many more, I scratch my head and just wish Ludwig's finger was a little more on the pulse.
Granted, its just Ludwig trying to help themselves stay afloat by offering their customers more choices...and that's not a bad thing...but I'm a bit like you.
An Acrolite is just an aluminum shelled version of a Jazz Festival.
Its also a "student model" snare drum, and thus, should only be available in the single offering.
If you want more choices, move up to the Supraphonic.
JMHO-S-I-T-MO.

Elvis

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of Supras had Bow-tie lugs in 1984. Not sure if it was primarily a 75th anniversary styling thing or due to a shortage of Imperials that weren't replenished before the move out of Chicago.

If I remember right the initial offering of the Acrolite said it was actually MADE of Acrolite. Ludwig's made up name for whatever aluminum alloy they used. I guess the Supraphonic was also made from acrolite but they didn't mention that in the catalog.
Ludwig's made up name for Aluminum alloy was Ludalloy.

Elvis

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Given all of the recent iterations of the Acrolite, I'm surprised Ludwig hasn't introduced a limited edition throwback to the original, with the brushed aluminum finish and keystone badge.

feelyat

Reaction score

Elvis
Sure, but they had some confusing uses of the Acrolite name. Such as the Ludwig Standard metal snare:
1606854914372.png

In 1969, they considered Acrolite to be a finish (unplated metal), rather than a material.

Also, in 1964, they called Acrolite a "wonder metal"
1606855197563.png

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see today that Ludwig is apparently releasing a new line of USA "Acro" snares with brass and copper shells...basically, Acrolites with those shells.

Not sure how I feel. Kinda cool on paper, even though, to me, Acro means aluminum alloy.

Anyway...

The 6.5 models have 10 lugs.

I've been trumpeting this a little lately around here, but, IMO, the classic Acro design should be 8-lug snares. 8 lugs is not just a design but a sound...and not an inferior sound. It's a different sound. More open. A wider "spread."

So now we have new 6.5" Acros with cool shell options but still 10 lugs.

And it kinda makes me wonder: How cool would it be if we instead had those brass and copper shells with 8 LUGS (as the "Acro thing") as opposed to the same 10-lug Supra shell?

It just seems redundant. And it seems to pit the Acro and Supra more in competition against each other based on cost-effectiveness as opposed to basing the choice on 8-lug vs. 10. In essence, it seems like this would illogically undercut sales of the more-expensive Supra.

I guess I'm just writing out of frustration here. If I were in charge of r&d at Ludwig, Supra would be my 10-lug line and Acro would be my 8-lug line, across all shell materials.

I mean, how great would it be to have the option of brass and copper 6.5s with 8 lugs??

I don't accept the premise that it saves them significant cost to just recycle the 10-lug shell. It would be nothing in this day and age for Ludwig to set up drilling for both 8 and 10 lugs...just like they do with the 5" shell!!

Unfortunately, I just see this all as a huge missed opportunity for Ludwig to offer some extremely cool 8-lug snares. And in this time when there has been a ton of renewed appreciation for the 8-lug design, followed suit by companies like C&C, George Way, and many more, I scratch my head and just wish Ludwig's finger was a little more on the pulse.
Back in the early 1983 I got ratted out as a drummer to replace the band drummer who got arrested on his way to a multi-family baptismal gig by the Garda in Ireland. His drums made it to the gig. They were a battered 6-piece set of Yamaha Rock Tour Customs and Paiste cymbals. This was during the Irish 'Troubles'. Even today there ain't a friggin local Irish band that doesn't have at least one member wanted by the authorities! Anyhow the battered Ludwig Acrolites were a 1964 serial-numbered 14X 6.5 ten-lugged and a 1965 serial-numbered 14X5 ten-lugged drums. Mighty rare to me! The bassist of this Motown cover band was the original purchaser. He bought both as gifts for his drummer brother in 1968. I got to see the receipts with their serial numbers dated March 25, 1968 for the 5-inch and August 31 for the 6.5 inch. Local bands kept receipts for EVERYTHING to deny the cops and Garda any reason to detain them for suspected stolen gear. I wanted to steal one or both!! I do have a 1994 6.5 inch in the original box LB 552 'Bronzolite' in mint condition for 140 dollars back in 2010. The dude at Guitar Center was only offering the seller 80 dollars! I stepped in and offered the 150 right at the drum counter. I'd have given more if I had more. Perfect timing! Guitar Center dude was mighty pissed-off. The seller had to reclaim his wife's wedding band at a pawn shop down the street! I've made it a habit not to walk in a Guitar Center with no less than 500 dollars cash. Especially when looking at any used gear purchases!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score

Elvis
I'd suggest that "Ludalloy" was their made up name for chrome plated aluminum while raw aluminum was the "wonder metal Acrolite"

63LD-P05.JPG

They kind of played it both ways at the introduction as far as whether the model name is an "Acrolite" (which the lower description suggests) or whether it is simply a snare drum made of Acrolite metal (as described in the upper catalog copy). Of course on the drum cataloged here (1963) everything was made of "Acrolite", hoops, shell, and lugs. That didn't last too long.

Last edited: