Is Metallica’s “Orion” the Best Instrumental Released Since 1986?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday to “Master of Puppets,”
released March 3, 1986. Has there been a better rock or metal instrumental in the 35 years since “Orion”?

Nacci

DFO Master
Reaction score
If not the best the right up their with it. Amazing song. The drumming is incredible, powerful, sophisticated, all of that.

One would have to wonder how important Burton was to the arranging and writing of that band because as far as I can tell they never did anything that came close to Orion after.

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Your thread title and your first post ask the question in two different ways. It's not possible to answer "yes" without contradicting oneself.

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do I get sucked into these threads? But here goes....

Huge Metallica fan in a former life. I love MoP.......that's a great song, too. RIP Cliff, of course......Orion is listed as #63 on the 100 best rock instrumentals ever on some website I've never heard of.......("Green Onions" by Booker T is #1 btw).

Lots of killer instrumentals in many genres since 1986, but just trying to stick to "rock" here to play along. There is no question that SRV's cover of Little Wing off The Sky is Crying is epic as is Chitlins Con Carne off that album (LW was recorded in 1984, but released on that album in 1991).

I think Cliffs of Dover (1990) by Eric Johnson is a pretty sick song. Little over produced for my tastes but lots of tricks in that one. He does shred and did some great things with the Hendrix tribute years later. However, EJ was a 1 trick pony for me meaning I didn't care for his band or that album after a few listens. It's been in a drawer for probably 25+ years.

But, to this day, I still put on MoP.....AND turn it up to 11......

In my book, honorable mentions are "To Live Is To Die" off One, and a little less intense: Pink Floyd "Signs of Life", Pearl Jam "Black", Steve Vai's "For the Love of God", Janes Addiction's "Ted, Just Admit It", Nirvana "Endless Nameless".....and I can't think of others right now......

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
How do I get sucked into these threads? But here goes....

Huge Metallica fan in a former life. I love MoP.......that's a great song, too. RIP Cliff, of course......Orion is listed as #63 on the 100 best rock instrumentals ever on some website I've never heard of.......("Green Onions" by Booker T is #1 btw).

Lots of killer instrumentals in many genres since 1986, but just trying to stick to "rock" here to play along. There is no question that SRV's cover of Little Wing off The Sky is Crying is epic as is Chitlins Con Carne off that album (LW was recorded in 1984, but released on that album in 1991).

I think Cliffs of Dover (1990) by Eric Johnson is a pretty sick song. Little over produced for my tastes but lots of tricks in that one. He does shred and did some great things with the Hendrix tribute years later. However, EJ was a 1 trick pony for me meaning I didn't care for his band or that album after a few listens. It's been in a drawer for probably 25+ years.

But, to this day, I still put on MoP.....AND turn it up to 11......

In my book, honorable mentions are "To Live Is To Die" off One, and a little less intense: Pink Floyd "Signs of Life", Pearl Jam "Black", Steve Vai's "For the Love of God", Janes Addiction's "Ted, Just Admit It", Nirvana "Endless Nameless".....and I can't think of others right now......
Good lord, I forgot about Cliffs! That's definitely better than Orion IMO.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great tune, covered it in high school but no.

Bushwacker

Reaction score
Love Master of Puppets. The stuff after, not so much. What year was Maiden’s Losfer Words. Great cut afaic.

Squirrel Man

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question is too subjective, it should be "Was Orion ONE OF THE best instrumentals"...

Darnell Lewis likely never heard of the song and would probably disagree or a jazz guy on the forum.

If you're likes are hard rock/metal then it's a legit question. If you're a big band guy who cares?

I would agree it's one of the best instrumentals.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It couldn't be easier. Name a better instrumental from the past 35 years ... in whatever genre you fancy.