Is Petere Criss a Overrated or Underappreciated Drummer?

robthedrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LOL. I was in 7th grade and totally into the whole Kiss thing. They were my first real rock concert that I saw in Indianapolis. I remember even having opera glasses so I could watch Peter close up. I was shattered when, during his big drum solo, he yawned. I never saw him the same way after that.

I'd say he was an over-rated drummer in the right place at the right time, but kudos to any musician who can make it in this business!

Drdrumdude3009

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes IIRC Peter played a set of silver sparkle Ludwigs at the beginning and wanted to endorse Ludwig, but they weren’t interested. Pearl was.
I saw the rejection letter. I bet they felt foolish about three years later. I do believe Peter recorded with his Ludwigs.

Deafmoon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Entire Kiss band,overrated!
While that is certainly true of their musicianship; the songs and genius marketing strategy of Paul and Gene is to be admired. That’s Entertainment!

pgm554

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Have never owned a Kiss recording. Saw the band once, left after the third song. Pure show, no go in my book. Ymmv.....
Kiss were a bunch of entertainers that happened to play instruments.
It is show biz after all.

Freewill3

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kiss & Peter were one of my earliest influences. I remember listening to KISS Alive 2 with my babysitter and yes...I had KISS pajamas!
KISS.jpg

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never really liked them or disliked them , but some of my associates were head over heels about this band . I'd been backing out of that lifestyle by the time I encountered Kiss . Good meat and potatoes rock drumming , nothing to be ashamed of .

Last edited:

drummingbulldog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Kiss is a fun band made for middle school/high school boys but they stuck around. To me, Ace & Peter were cool. Both were and are nicer than the other 2. Eric Singer is the best drummer they have ever had. Largely, the band was/is mediocre. I was a lil kid when Destroyer & Love Gun were in my brother's record collection. Peter was perfect when they did the early stuff. Once they started using Anton & other musicians they sort of ceased to be a band. I saw them with Eric Carr in 86 & he wasn't all that. Kiss's thing is show. They never tried to be great musically because they're not. Ezrin said Destroyer was the hardest record he made because none of the band could really play. Peter is a good guy & he influenced a lot of kids to play drums. I'll always remember him fondly for that. I don't know if he's overrated but I definitely think he is underappreciated by his old bandmates. Read his bio if you're a Kiss fan.

Bandit

DFO Master
Reaction score
KISS. Never got them, but I guess I didn't have to. Many others did. Only two songs I liked of theirs growing up was Beth, and Detroit Rock City.

moonbabie

Reaction score
overrated! It’s the Rite place ,right time. I’m pretty sure most of us could emulate the drummer....as for the singing and songwriting my hats off to him

ppfd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Peter was who got me interested in the drums. I lost interest after he left the band for whatever the truth is.
Peter Criss is to kiss as Dave Holland was to Judas Priest. Both played for the song and were not technical at all. Both were in their respective bands when they were at the top of their peak.
I believe Bobby Rondinelli auditioned for or was supposed to for Kiss. Ended up with the late Eric Carr.