Is Phil Rudd possibly the Greatest Australian Drummer?

MetalDoucheRuddfan1223

Reaction score
Not alot of big name Drummer's from down unde honestly Phil Rudd definitely brought that attitude on drums!

2.https://youtu.be/Az6os6BDeJQ

Griener

Reaction score
You probably don't know much about Australian drummers!
Have you ever heard of Tony Buck, Simon Barker, Alan Turnbull and Virgil Donati (to name a few)?
Not to mention those who moved there from elsewhere.

Rudd may be the most famous, I admit, but certainly not the greatest.
Have fun with your research: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Australian_drummers

Last edited:

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Virgil Donati the most technically proficient.

Kevin Parker probably has had the most influence in recent times.

Rob Hirst is great, bit of a different vibe going on with him, see Power & the Passion.

I like Jim White.

Mike Noga was great, loved his feel.

Lucius Borich is a player.

Rudd’s probably sold the most albums and had the biggest overall impact.

Although Anthony Field has sold a hell of a lot too…

Fat Drummer

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And one of my strong early influences is missing from the list all together, Derek Pellicci from the Little River Band. One of the strongest kit orchestrators from the 70's and 80's and an impecial groove. I learned volumes from this guy!

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure Phil Rudd is the only Aussie on Rolling Stone’s Top 100 Greatest Drummers of All Time.
That's right, an American journalist's opinion of Aussie drummers is far superior to actual drummers, especially those who have been to Australia or were born there. :blink:
That's why I keep telling you that drummer polls are a complete and utter waste of time.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
That's right, an American journalist's opinion of Aussie drummers is far superior to actual drummers, especially those who have been to Australia or were born there. :blink:
That's why I keep telling you that drummer polls are a complete and utter waste of time.
Interesting take, Whitten. It's a ranking, not a poll, though.

On being named to Rolling Stone's 100 Greatest Drummers of All Time in 2016, Phil Rudd himself said: "It's sweet words."

Furthermore, Rudd agreed with Bonham being named No. 1: "That's a fair call ... He was innovative and dangerous."

He was less inclined to agree with the ranking of Keith Moon in No 2 position "but I know and respect people who do think a lot of him, and that's fine".

"I'm more of a Ringo fan."

Ringo Starr was ranked No 14 on the list, which Mr Rudd said was fair.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Especially those published by RS.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score

Squirrel Man

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
He's the most popular Aussie born drummer, that's the only indisputable thing here so far.

But others pointing out all of the Aussie drummers is kind of refreshing. I never think of people as "British" or "American" or "Australian", they're just people for the most part unless their national origin is a big part of their brand.

But seeing the list reminded me of how many Australian musicians there are which was kinda cool.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, he's not from Austrailia but New Zealand: Dylan Elise I figure New Zealand is close enough to being Austrailian (kind of like Canada and the USA) ;).