Is Phil Rudd possibly the Greatest Australian Drummer?

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
Well, he's not from Austrailia but New Zealand: Dylan Elise I figure New Zealand is close enough to being Austrailian (kind of like Canada and the USA) ;).
Wikipedia: Born on 19 May 1954 in Melbourne, Australia, Rudd began playing drums in his teens and became serious about pursuing a career in music.[12] He played in several bands in Melbourne before joining Buster Brown with future Rose Tattoo vocalist Angry Anderson.[20] They went on to release one album, Something To Say, in 1974, before Rudd left to join the Coloured Balls with Lobby Loyde.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Interesting take, Whitten. It's a ranking, not a poll, though.
Based on what criteria? Ans: None except for subjective opinion. Therefore it doesn't inform you much about Aussie drummers - for example John Farris and Virgil Donati. One had a ton of hits the other is a highly regarded technician/clinician.

Whitten

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

mattmalloy66

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Phil Rudd was the right drummer for the job. He played the songs.
The whole band had attitude, and his playing fit right in to what the rest of the band was doing.
I have heard a couple of instructors say they challenge a student to simply play a song like Phil did, and they overplay it.

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, he's not from Austrailia but New Zealand: Dylan Elise I figure New Zealand is close enough to being Austrailian (kind of like Canada and the USA) ;).

WTF????
Don’t want to get political.....and mods please delete this if a line has been crossed....but I’m sure there are more than a few folks in Australia and New Zealand would take issue here.....and there......
Canada and the US.....gimme a break.......yeeesh. Yeah there is a common “undefended” border but really? These daze.......??
bt

Back on track....yep Phil Rudd is by far the “best” of the best for what he does/did....no question there.
But how can this be overall when there is no best.....anywhere.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WTF????
Don’t want to get political.....and mods please delete this if a line has been crossed....but I’m sure there are more than a few folks in Australia and New Zealand would take issue here.....and there......
Canada and the US.....gimme a break.......yeeesh. Yeah there is a common “undefended” border but really? These daze.......??
bt

Back on track....yep Phil Rudd is by far the “best” of the best for what he does/did....no question there.
But how can this be overall when there is no best.....anywhere.

The wink emoji was supposed to indicate my response was tongue and cheek. Apparently that was missed...

JimmyM

Reaction score
Nobody's going to say Phil can do what Virgil Donati can do, but Virgil's not interested in being the Ringo of hard rock, where Phil embraced it full-on and brought that style of sparse drumming up to balls levels like Ringo brought original rock and roll. And more importantly, he loved it and originated it.

Browny

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Plenty of good drummers down here, Melbourne especially. Always been a strong music scene, particularly the garage/punk/pub rock stuff in the 70s & 80s and what evolved from that. Even going back as far as bands like The Easybeats.

Off the top of my head… AC/DC, Cold Chisel, the Saints, Nick Cave (bad seeds, birthday party), the Angels, Rose Tatoo, GOD (go take a listen to the belter ‘My Pal’), Australian Crawl, Midnight Oil, INXS, Crowded House & Split Enz (kiwi but we claimed them), SunnyBoys, Paul Kelly, Billy Thorpe & the Aztecs, Hoodoo Gurus, Divinyls, Black Sorrows, Screaming Jets, Choirboys, Mental as anything, men at work, Powderfinger, Silverchair, Dragon, Skyhooks, Jet, the cruel sea, the drones, you am I, hunters & collectors, the church, masters apprentices, the triffids… then some other newer notables like Tame Impala, SIA, King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard, Pond, etc

steambent

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Phil has never done clinics but has anyone ever seen him do a clinic like for Sonor or Paiste? My point maybe he has different drumming skills than what we hear on the AC/DC recording. I don’t know, just asking. Now all these other names of drummers (groups yes) I have never heard of so like others have said popularity he is hands down the best drummer from Australia.

Steech

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe Phil has never done clinics but has anyone ever seen him do a clinic like for Sonor or Paiste? My point maybe he has different drumming skills than what we hear on the AC/DC recording. I don’t know, just asking. Now all these other names of drummers (groups yes) I have never heard of so like others have said popularity he is hands down the best drummer from Australia.
Doubt it. I can’t really imagine Phil doing anything too chopsy.

KillinBill66

Reaction score
If I'm picking somebody I'd want to listen to often (which should be the criteria), that would be Kevin Parker

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Phil Rudd's born &lived in Melbourne,
Until 1984 ,
David Jones,
Mark Kennedy,
Snowy White (The EasyBeats),
Paul Hester (Split End/Crowded House),
Graham Morgan (Australia 's answer to Buddy Rich Morello etc),
Billy Hyde,
John "Watto" Watson,
The original drummer from The Screaming Jets (Brad Heaney?),
The drummer from "SPY VS SPY",
Frank Celenza (The Baby Animals).

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Super music has always come out of down under , drummers with a relaxed confidence . Made in the shade .

Baldrey covered this tune nicely, but I prefer the original

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
An Australian drummer many here may not have heard of was Len Barnard who simply stunned me when I heard recordings of him playing with Tom Baker's San Francisco jazz band - which at the time was the most exciting traditional jazz band I had ever heard. He was an all round drummer who played the Australian jazz scene for many years.

Lazmo

Be excellent to each other...
Reaction score
Phil Rudd is likely the greatest Australian ACDC type drummer, but greatest Australian drummer... I doubt it, not that it is a race.

As mentioned above, there are plenty of great Aussie drummers, but my favourite is Mark Kennedy.

In the 70's when Ayers Rock played at the Uni where I was studying, he blew me away with his groove and technique.

But there are lots of great Australian drummers.