header.nohb.html

Is Ringo the Most Underrated Drummer Ever? Seattle Drummers React

Redbeard77

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm not sure how Ringo can be underrated since he's the most famous drummer alive and there are endless examples of established drummers gushing about what an influence he was on them.

rkingston

Reaction score
I'm not sure how Ringo can be underrated since he's the most famous drummer alive and there are endless examples of established drummers gushing about what an influence he was on them.
I think in this context, "underrated" could be interpreted more as "easily dismissed as familiar or simple", compared to how we normally think of it as "overlooked", "lack of reputation", or "doesn't get any credit" etc.

For the record, I think he's fantastic, and we owe a lot of the direction rock and pop took to him. I used to dismiss him when I was a prog-rock-minded teen drummer, but I finally came around as an adult and saw his playing in a new light. From Revolver through Abbey Road, he was creative, unobtrusive, and could swing straight eighths like nobody's business.

toddbishop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are some drummers who live in Seattle, without question.

T_Weaves

Reaction score
I was never a big Beatles fan. I liked them but I was more of a Stones person. I always liked Ringo though. I think his biggest contribution to music is probably how many people he influenced to start playing drums. He's part of the fabric of our lives. I'm happy I lived the same time as he.

A.TomicMorganic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As a A fellow Seattle drummer, (Little Bill and the Bluenotes, El Funko) I admire Ringos ability to fit the song and general life attitudes. But, as a jazz guy at heart, I don't rate him in my top 10. ( I know, you have never heard of me either)

Reaction score
As a A fellow Seattle drummer, (Little Bill and the Bluenotes, El Funko) I admire Ringos ability to fit the song and general life attitudes. But, as a jazz guy at heart, I don't rate him in my top 10. ( I know, you have never heard of me either)
I feel that over the years all's probably been said about Ringo's strong drumming attributes - his time-keeping, innovative, original rhythms and approach, and his unique sound. However, one overwhelming phenomenon that I believe proves his class is other drummers' inability to match his distinctive feel (and, dare I say it - swing!) in any tribute act, or playing a Beatles' arrangement. I've heard good drummers master and play the beats and patterns but... it stil ain't Ringo!
I don't know if guitarists offer the same observation about John, Paul or George's guitar playing, but I usually find the good acts play these parts well, but it's always the drums that, for me, primarily reveal something just not quite authentic.

Even Abe Laboriel Jr, McCartney' drummer, still doesn't provide that Ringo character in his playing, even though he clearly has greater technical ability., and I do enjoy his music. Like all groups and musicians attempting to replicate Beatles music, the best that they can do is attempt to match the original sounds and parts, but cannot innovate or add anything new - that's not what people come to hear. (I suppose that's the case with all tribute acts.)

I hope that he gets well soon to resume his tour!