Is the Pearl 12x7 maple snare good?

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
So I guess it’s the Pearl Soprano snare. It’s pretty popular and has been around since the 80s I think. I was thinking if I can get this one pretty cheap I might pull the trigger. What do you guys think?
934184ED-3379-4A00-9681-901EEF4DB4AE.jpeg

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have that exact drum. It sounds nice with a coated emperor tuned up. I've never explored any other tuning with it, though, because that's all I needed from that particular drum.

Dan

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I have that exact drum. It sounds nice with a coated emperor tuned up. I've never explored any other tuning with it, though, because that's all I needed from that particular drum.

Dan
Cool thanks. A lot of people online have said that it sounds good at all tunings and surprisingly very good at low tuning.

Tilter

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I previously owned a newer variant with the CL Bridge lugs and it was one of my favorite 12s. More body than you'd expect.

Rhyma Hop

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks. A lot of people online have said that it sounds good at all tunings and surprisingly very good at low tuning.
One of my favorite snares... It is a 10 mm shell by the way..

Try to find something that sounds as good as this..... I cannot find too many

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score

Yeah that’s probably the best video of it. Some people in the comments sections of these vids say that they use it as their primary snare and have done that since the 90s.

toddbishop

Reaction score
I had one of those, used it on my last record. Tuned it low, used it with snares off quite a bit. Nice for kind of intimate music where you’re getting a lot of sounds out of it. As a normal snare drum it was a little thin.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I read in multiple places that Dennis Chambers used this snare and I searched for a video where he’d be playing one. This might be one of those 12” snares in the video but it’s hard to tell. It looks like a 12 and snappy like one but I might’ve seen a die-cast hoop on top (who knows he could’ve swapped it out).

Last edited:

pwc1141

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been playing 12" deep snares as my main snare for decades and currently use a Brady 12 x 7 Sheoak block one. I personally think the size is very, very versatile and see no reason why the Pearl 12 x 7 shouldn't be just the same.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've done many gigs with a Yamaha 5"x12" oak as my only snare. I love that when you _really_ lay into it, the sound gets a bit... "ragged", but in a very pleasing way. It's like the drum equivalent of tape saturation :D

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dennis is a monster but that is not a 12. You can see it is larger than the rack tom and same size as the 1st FT. He just tunes it way high.

Screenshot_20210417-072040.jpg

I've always wanted a snare that size. I wonder how it compares in sound to the ubiquitous Brady in that size? I've never seen or played any Brady in person.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
Dennis is a monster but that is not a 12. You can see it is larger than the rack tom and same size as the 1st FT. He just tunes it way high.

View attachment 495529
I've always wanted a snare that size. I wonder how it compares in sound to the ubiquitous Brady in that size? I've never seen or played any Brady in person.
Yeah I wondered the same thing. Well it’s a difference of about $3000, so I guess I choose the pearl ha ha Ha