Is the ride cymbal dying in modern rock music?

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
On their earlier albums, Notably Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap, Phil Rudd occasionally used a Ride cymbal, but quit using one later in his career.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought modern "rock" plays the FT for the beat then crashes whatever cymbal they have as the "ride".......

Deafmoon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Terry Bozzio uses a ride again after years of not using one, so I think they are in.

nmosko

Reaction score
Nah, there’s tons of heavier bands using the ride a ton. Lamb of god, A7X, slipknot, parkway drive, Amon Amarth, rammstein. Many more heavy modern rock bands are using them a bunch.

daveplaydrum

Reaction score
I notice lots of super produced dancey drums on most new rock that I hear. It’s a super disappointing direction it’s taken but of course that’s what every generation says about the new stuff coming out. Considering I’m entering my mid 30s I’m probably just transitioning to old man.

Anyways, I’d consider Tool modern rock still and Danny Carey pings the hell out of his ride.

dje31

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Don't listen to much pop music, but even in what little alt-college-modern rock that I've come across lately virtually no rides in use. I'm sure there have been others, but the last hit that crossed over to top 40 with a prominent ride was Semi-Charmed Life by Third Eye Blind...released in---wait for it---1997!

So, it's not a recent trend. Nearly a quarter of a century!

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's not rock, but I've been on a kick playing along to The Greyboy Allstars, DJ Williams and Karl Denson, and there's more ride cymbal on those cuts than you can shake a sti..

Old PIT Guy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

Frank Godiva

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You mean today’s drum machines and loopers don’t have a ride button or sound file? Folks just no longer tapping that sample in today’s thing they call music?

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it qualifies, but there's a lot of decent americana rock where the ride is still used, and some nice hand-hammered stuff that works well on medium to low volume material. I've also seen it in some pop scenarios.

Polska

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I remember there being a lot of talk about this when The Police started getting big. Everyone trying all the Copeland H/H stuff, but I think even then he still used one a bit. It's another sound for us. Can't see ever doing without mine.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if maybe it's modern rock that didn't catch on, classic rock is still kicking 40-50 years in.
I wonder if ride cymbals could have saved modern rock.

Biggsenator

Reaction score
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I regard the modern "bash riding" as a trend that originated from trying to cover up poor playing. Why would anyone do something that sounds like a loud crash on every beat? Yeah, I'm an old guy, but that just doesn't strike me as music, just noise. REALLY don't mean to offend, and I'm ready to be enlightened, but...that's how I feel in my initial reaction to the question. So...I'm keeping all my (on the pingy side) rides. Love 'em.

Last edited:

foxy_shazamtastic

Reaction score
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I regard the modern "bash riding" as a trend that originated from trying to cover up poor playing. Why would anyone do something that sounds like a loud crash on every beat? Yeah, I'm an old guy, but that just doesn't strike me as music, just noise. REALLY don't mean to offend, and I'm ready to be enlightened, but...that's how I feel in my initial reaction to the question. So...I'm keeping all my (on the pinky side) rides. Love 'em.
All you have to do to know this isn’t true is pay attention. Sure there’s a lot of amateurs who cover up sloppiness with a lot of noise. This is not the case in any professional band that I’ve ever heard. It’s a style. It’s a sound. It is what it is. But sloppy it is not, at least in any functional music made with intent.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I regard the modern "bash riding" as a trend that originated from trying to cover up poor playing. Why would anyone do something that sounds like a loud crash on every beat? Yeah, I'm an old guy, but that just doesn't strike me as music, just noise. REALLY don't mean to offend, and I'm ready to be enlightened, but...that's how I feel in my initial reaction to the question. So...I'm keeping all my (on the pinky side) rides. Love 'em.
Two words: KEITH MOON.

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
I remember there being a lot of talk about this when The Police started getting big. Everyone trying all the Copeland H/H stuff, but I think even then he still used one a bit. It's another sound for us. Can't see ever doing without mine.
he played enough ride to have a signature model - blue bell.