Is the ride cymbal dying in modern rock music?

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I don't know. I don't listen to modern rock.
i guess all you really need to keep time is a kick, snare and hats.

Corbin L Douthitt

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sue if it is going away. Just maybe the playing method has changed. seems everyone just bashes cymbals and drum heads- chews up sticks and complains that their drums have no 'resonance'. ( based upon reading drum forums ;-)

gezz

DFO Star
Reaction score
the whole "wash Ride" is getting a bit "samey".. A fad that has grown in popularity... I'm def a less is more..
I'm no basher..i have power but the bow of the Ride and the tip of the stick are MY Dynamic.. I also play Sizzle Rides a lot..

TonyVazquez

Reaction score
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I regard the modern "bash riding" as a trend that originated from trying to cover up poor playing. Why would anyone do something that sounds like a loud crash on every beat? Yeah, I'm an old guy, but that just doesn't strike me as music, just noise. REALLY don't mean to offend, and I'm ready to be enlightened, but...that's how I feel in my initial reaction to the question. So...I'm keeping all my (on the pinky side) rides. Love 'em.
Don't let Meg White see this :laughing3: comment :-D

michaelocalypse

Reaction score
I was using the ride in a cover band more recently... pop and pop country. It was mostly hi-hat playing, but I definitely needed to have a ride.

In metal, or at least what I listen to, it really only seems to be used in blast beats anymore, unless the ride is being crashed, and that's usually because it's hard to find a 22-26" crash.

In general, I have noticed that crashes are being used more, as well as chinas, effects cymbals and stacks. Open hi-hats are also used a lot. It's been a while since I've heard a ride being used "normally." Kind of a bummer because I really like my 20" Ping Ride.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those Imperialstars look like my brother's Imperialstars of the early '80s. He has two of every size, including the X-tras, Concert toms, Gongs and Octobans. All in Black. The 26-inch bass drums are killer. More than half of them are still in their boxes! And he's a saxophonist!!
All of mine are Superstars. Piano black lacquer. I put the metal Swingstar hoops on the bass drums. I dont like wood hoops.

TAMA3.jpg

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of mine are Superstars. Piano black lacquer. I put the metal Swingstar hoops on the bass drums. I dont like wood hoops.

View attachment 485851
I don't like wooden bass hoops either. I replaced them on my Yamaha Maple Custom Absolutes in Plum Stain. I used a pair of Tama Imperialstar hoops just like yours. You must have lived in dusty Arizona too. I even converted a Tama Imperialstar into a deep snare. Makes a Ludwig Coliseum snare sound mute.

Attachments

dsteinschneider

Reaction score
This is a timely thread for me. I've drummed for years (bass player filling in) in rehearsal but just recently decided to play drums out when things open up. I've been learning covers that get called at open mics and was surprised how many include riding a crash.

Jay-Dee

Reaction score
A serious question, what do you consider modern rock music?

Very little gets played in Australia other than Foofighters and the latest AC/DC and I've heard Halestorm get played on the station I listen to. Nearly all so called rock stations over here mostly bombard you with the same stuff that's been flogged for the last forty years or music I don't really consider to be rock and roll.

I have all of Van Halen's albums and Alex does plenty of playing on ride cymbals although some is heavy on the edge. I remember for a while his set up actually used rides as crashes.

gra7

Reaction score
I am looking into buying less but more versatile cymbals as a second set to to use instead of my A Zildjians. I am looking at 15” hi hats, a 23” crashable ride or rideable crash, and a single crash effects type cymbal will holes somewhere between 15” and 17” - I will use that for shows when it starts again with kick, snare and and a floor tom. I do think the trend at the moment is darker more washy sounds and while I won’t replace my other cymbals, I think this setup also has advantages of carrying less gear.

cobaltspike

Reaction score
I believe AVH used a 24 Paiste Giant Beat Multi at the beginning of their journey and then had Paiste make him what became the Reverand Al's Big Ride, very washy, all of them. I had a Reverand Al for a while but it was too washy and the 2002 ride is too pingy and not crashable at all, needs to be something in between those weights.

kallen49

Reaction score
good thread!
I think the demise of ride cymbals as a basic part of a drum set seems more of a possibility than, say, the loss of hi hats or snare and bass.
If we could see 20 years into the future we’d know.
The ride will always be a part of the jazz lexicon but will many drummers will be learning “jazz” in 20 years?

I recently interrupted my 6 and 8 year old granddaughter's Spotify dance playlist so they could listen to “Yellow Submarine” and they reacted as if I’d lost my mind. (When I was their age I was exposed to big band, country, anglican choirs and then the British invasion. I need to help them expand their musical horizons).

BTW, just say’in, if you are playing classic rock you must have a ride for ”Don’t stop believing” and “Message in a bottle”.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't listen to much that would be considered "modern rock" so I don't really know. I thought though that you were going to say that most of that music lacks a ride at all, not just a proper ride cymbal sound (not riding on a crash cymbal). When I think of that kind of a sound, I think of one of my favorites, who though pretty modest in chops, has a sound that I've laways liked, Chris Franz of the Talking heads and Tom Tom Club (and a few other things). For a long time, he never used a ride and then ony used one sporadically. Always riding on the hats, unless he was doing some kind of beat on the toms. I think that he was inspired by a lot of R&B and funk music, where the hats are the thing. Those kinds of bands might occasionally have the drummer playing a ride, but not as much as in a lot of other kinds of music. In the kinds of original rock bands that I've been in over the years I've been influenced by Franz, and though I always have had a ride cymbal, I tend to like the kind of chunky sound that playing the hats has and I use that more than anything else.

Reggae music and probably certain African styles are ones where a ride sound is rarely, if ever used...

Last edited:

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excuse my aged eyesight, I suffer from cerebral cataracts, sorry. Killer set! Lacquer finishes are great!
I have some weird eyesight problems to. My eyes are constantly jittering and that explains why my vision seems weird at times. And I also have cataracts but not cadillacs. I'd be a rich Mongo if I had cadillacs in my eyes. "cadillacs in your eyes" ? I think I just thought up lyrics for a new song. The black lacquer on my old 1980's superstars is as pretty as the day I bought them. I had an almost identical set of black wrap Imperialstars for about a year before I got the superstars. I liked the sound of the supes better.

gregc57

Reaction score
And two 70-year-old guys are the definition of modern rock music?

:tongue3:
Looks at who is in the R&R Hall of fame and you realize the definition of Rock has completely been lost. However, l know what it is when I hear it. BTW, I’ll never give up the Ride. Love the ping.