Is the ride cymbal dying in modern rock music?

Slingwig26

Reaction score
I believe AVH used a 24 Paiste Giant Beat Multi at the beginning of their journey and then had Paiste make him what became the Reverand Al's Big Ride, very washy, all of them. I had a Reverand Al for a while but it was too washy and the 2002 ride is too pingy and not crashable at all, needs to be something in between those weights.
I may have a contender for you. . A 22” 1977 Paiste 2002 Ride at 2973 grams. They have a great bell and pingy ride on the bow but is crashable. Check them out.

cruddola

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some weird eyesight problems to. My eyes are constantly jittering and that explains why my vision seems weird at times. And I also have cataracts but not cadillacs. I'd be a rich Mongo if I had cadillacs in my eyes. "cadillacs in your eyes" ? I think I just thought up lyrics for a new song. The black lacquer on my old 1980's superstars is as pretty as the day I bought them. I had an almost identical set of black wrap Imperialstars for about a year before I got the superstars. I liked the sound of the supes better.
I've always liked the 1st Gen Superstars. My brother and I went to a Bill Cobham clinic and he was banging away at a set in Cherry Wine. A year later my brother got a Cherry Wine kit of his own. 24 X 2, 10, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18 & 20 and the complete set of matching concert toms and matching 20 & 24 Gong. My brother was a mighty well-paid math and music tutor then. Only college girls (LOL!!) He had to wait almost a year to get them. Custom ordered via Thoroughbred Music out of Houston. He got them in 85-86. In 2011 he got a good offer for the whole package. An Irish dude here on vacation heard them from the park across the street. My professional experience with Northern Irish here in America are usually on the lam from their Guarda! Darrin came over, killed a few brews with my brother in our living room where my brother had them set up since purchased. Massive kit. Darrin played them like Simon Phillips! (Simon is a Brit.) His wife came to get him. He shooed her away. That night he offered 28 grand for just the drums! The drums had never left the house and were in perfect condition. Still had every box and receipts. Mind you my brother was a master at the flute and saxophone and equally on drums. Two days later a crew of 4 UK guys came to pick them up. Darrin, the buyer, gave me a 4 grand finder's fee, for had I not opened the front door he wouldn't have heard the drums from out in the park. I had the same eyesight jitters and constant blinking. Neuros say it's TBI (Brain Battle-Rattle) from all the B&B (Bullets & Bombs) during my Play-time. Took years for it to go away. Somehow (as weird as it sounds) drumming to 7/8 time works wonders. I've even gotten into the Master of 7/8 time, Yanni. But only his LIVE recordings. His drummer Charlie Adams is mighty bad-a$$ed! Give Charlie an ear.

Last edited:

tpate01

Reaction score
I have a 22" ride, but would only take my medium 18" ride to a gig. It's pretty light and crashes well. I have started playing my ride a little more lately.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
Looks at who is in the R&R Hall of fame and you realize the definition of Rock has completely been lost. However, l know what it is when I hear it. BTW, I’ll never give up the Ride. Love the ping.
I think the whole idea of it being "rock and roll," wasn't ever really the point of it. I think that it represents all of pop music. That being said, I'm not trying to defend their choices as I don't like much of it (or much of pop music in general) but that's the way that I see it working...

Demonslayer

Reaction score
I was using the ride in a cover band more recently... pop and pop country. It was mostly hi-hat playing, but I definitely needed to have a ride.

In metal, or at least what I listen to, it really only seems to be used in blast beats anymore, unless the ride is being crashed, and that's usually because it's hard to find a 22-26" crash.

In general, I have noticed that crashes are being used more, as well as chinas, effects cymbals and stacks. Open hi-hats are also used a lot. It's been a while since I've heard a ride being used "normally." Kind of a bummer because I really like my 20" Ping Ride.
This is exactly what I'm talking about

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I was using the ride in a cover band more recently... pop and pop country. It was mostly hi-hat playing, but I definitely needed to have a ride.

In metal, or at least what I listen to, it really only seems to be used in blast beats anymore, unless the ride is being crashed, and that's usually because it's hard to find a 22-26" crash.

In general, I have noticed that crashes are being used more, as well as chinas, effects cymbals and stacks. Open hi-hats are also used a lot. It's been a while since I've heard a ride being used "normally." Kind of a bummer because I really like my 20" Ping Ride.
Keep playing that ride... It seems to me that if you;re playing is in time, in the pocket and all of that than the folks you play with much less the audiences that you play for wont really care that you're not using the most trendy type cymbals on your kit.

I'm OK with music moving on and in fact, I've dug a lot of up to the minute styles played by folks who were mostly much younger than I. That being said though the trend for all of these choked, flat, trashy cymbal sounds isn't really my thing... at all. I can appreciate the chops and even the creativity of folks who use this kind of stuff but I mostly don't dig the sounds...

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can say things on a ride that don't translate well on the hihats , mind you it was long road tll I had anything meaningful to say on either . I go into the studio with the aim of getting out of there as soon as possible . Ride cymbals' pitch specificity can sometimes complicate recording sessions and the way product is manufactured today in rock/pop, generic simplicity is most predictably achieved with fewer cymbals, including the ride . In my experience , unless the drummer is an integral part of the picture , producers and engineers prefer dealing with sounds that can be conveniently digitized , and the rides I've heard in that world are pretty cheesy and robotic . Not always, but usually drummer's ears , whether we like it or not , aren't considered as important to others as they are to us .

Live performance is something else altogether .

Last edited:
Reaction score
I remember growing up and thinking that Alex Van Halen's choice of riding on a crash was odd. Fast-forward 30 years and it's become pretty much the SOP for everything hard rock.

It's been almost 8 years since I've used a bona-fide ride in a rock setting. Band leaders prefer that I bash away on the crash, otherwise it "loses energy".

Thoughts?
I think it just depends who you listen to and in what genre as there are still a lot of contemporary bands both young and old who still utilize rides. Maybe not as much in pop or Top 40 but they do exist. I’ve never not had a 16” or a 20” or 24” ‍♂

Reaction score
:rolleyes:
How did you expect that word to be used, given that the thread title is "in modern rock music"?
I guess I should have been more clear I meant that there are many examples in contemporary music and not so much in pop or Top 40. There are actually a lot of indie bands or even non indie bands in “modern rock” that still use ride cymbals. Just not as mainstream as Pop or Top 40. That’s what I meant.

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I guess I should have been more clear I meant that there are many examples in contemporary music and not so much in pop or Top 40. There are actually a lot of indie bands or even non indie bands in “modern rock” that still use ride cymbals. Just not as mainstream as Pop or Top 40. That’s what I meant.
Oh, absolutely! I wasn't responding to you -- your post made sense. I was responding to the person calling us out for not mentioning "swing". Because modern rock music is definitely known for how much it swings ;)