Is the sound really difference between a COB and COS Batter Hoop

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes. COB hoops add a brassy, musical overtone to the ring. It's a little softer and more refined compared to the brighter, aggressive ring of steel.

We're not talking HUGE differences here but subtle and, yes, noticeable ones.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doesn't a COB batter hoop also give a better cross stick sound? It seems that way on my drums.

charlesm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Doesn't a COB batter hoop also give a better cross stick sound? It seems that way on my drums.
Cross-stick sound seems to me to be a combination of hoop type, stick position and the design of the stick. I don't know that you can say it's inherently "better" just because a hoop is COB.

DrumKeys

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Cross-stick sound seems to me to be a combination of hoop type, stick position and the design of the stick. I don't know that you can say it's inherently "better" just because a hoop is COB.
Fair enough. I guess my point is all other factors being equal (hoop type, stick position and stick, etc) it just seems "better" to me.

bellbrass

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes. COB hoops add a brassy, musical overtone to the ring. It's a little softer and more refined compared to the brighter, aggressive ring of steel.

We're not talking HUGE differences here but subtle and, yes, noticeable ones.
I agree with this.
I did a blind test years ago, as a result of a thread here. I fully expected not to hear a difference, but I did. I've been all about COB hoops since.

Tanabata

Reaction score
I haven't heard much difference in new COB hoops that I've had, but I've had the original COB hoops on and off my 1950 Leedy&Ludwig 5.5x14 and the difference is astonishing. The drum is far more open and there's an added fullness to the sound. I can even play a really great cascara on the side of those old stick chopper hoops, but, they're truly stick choppers.... they even wear a stick doing doing cross sticks.

Bonzo442

Reaction score
The brass may be a little softer than steel but the chrome seems to weather the years a little better on the COB hoops

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
I agree that brass has a different sound than steel. For example, just hold up a COB hoop balanced on your finger and play it like a triangle; then do the same with a COS hoop and a DC hoop. You'll hear the brass one rings like a bell, while the steel goes "clang" and the DC goes "clunk". And I do think that difference is audible (in a hard-to-describe way) when the drum is assembled and tuned up.

On the other hand, I have bought a few sets of modern COB hoops, and a few sets of vintage NOB hoops, and the NOB ones are even more resonant. This is probably because the hoops themselves are thinner, and then the plating is much thinner. Then I compared them against some 1.6 mm COS hoops, and those sounded more similar to the NOB hoops. So thickness of the material has as much impact as the material itself, IMO.

You'll see a similar claim made around wood hoops, that the thin vintage-style ones with claws have an open, fat sound; while the thick Yamaha/Gibralter style ones, with holes for the tension rods, have a drier chunkier sound.

My favorite cross stick sounds are the vintage NOB and the thick modern-style wood hoops.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
In the experiments that I have done, I can hear a bit of a difference. I have found that I like the brass hoop on the reso side of I have both a steel and a brass hoop.

Seb77

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've yet to a/b test (record) the difference it makes on the bottom of a snare. Top makes a difference, but I'd say probably more with brighter sounding shell material like aluminum or brass. A roundover poplar edge might suck away the higher overtones anyway.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
IME it's more like a complimentary tone rather than "sucking away" anything. Like I will often put a bright, ringy hoop on a dark woody shell just to balance it out. Same in reverse, I'll put a less ringy hoop on a bright shell just to take it down a notch.

skelt101

Reaction score
I haven't necessarily done an A/B comparison, but I did swap out the stock steel triple flanged hoops on my "Brass Edition" Supraphonic for some COB from DFD. My brain is telling me the drum now has less-harsh, but fatter and more pleasant/musical, rim shots and rim clicks. Since I play a lot of rim shots, this was a welcome change. Of course, YMMV...

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Which is preferred... what is the difference in sound
Hi Ken,

I"m sure your post is referring to the Super Classic snare drum you are interested on eBay. Again, don't be so worried about the minor difference in sound. The seller is supplying a good COS Ludwig hoop in addition to the cracked COB hoop. If you like the drum, please purchase it!

-Mark

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
Vintage Slingerland COB's on the toms and Ludwig tri flange COB's on the snare .

The best COS are 70's TAMA 1.6 mm and original Rogers tall boys which are thinner too .

halldorl

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
From what I have experimented with I have to admit I like the COS hoops more than COB. I find the brass has strange overtones while the COB is more direct and pleasant sounding to my ears. But, I haven’t tried all the hoops out there and I am sure not all hoops are equal even though they are made from the same material.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I know there is a difference and I prefer the sound of COB hoops but the difference is very subtle and I doubt that anyone farther away than the player is going to be able to hear the difference. An exception might be in the recording studio with the drum close miked but in a live setting the slight difference probably isn't going to be particularly noticeable to anyone except, maybe, the drummer him (or her) self.

Modern hoops tend to be made of thicker metal and I think that has a bigger overall effect than the underlying material.

Salem street drums

DFO Sponsor
Sponsor
Reaction score
Brass and steel definitely have different tonal properties.This video is interesting, but by the time you add tension rods and choke the hoop down it’s hard for me to tell the difference.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know there is a difference and I prefer the sound of COB hoops but the difference is very subtle and I doubt that anyone farther away than the player is going to be able to hear the difference. An exception might be in the recording studio with the drum close miked but in a live setting the slight difference probably isn't going to be particularly noticeable to anyone except, maybe, the drummer him (or her) self.

Modern hoops tend to be made of thicker metal and I think that has a bigger overall effect than the underlying material.
K.O. is correct with his explanation! If you were to swap out Ludwig COB hoops for COS hoops, both at 1.6mm thickness, I doubt you'd hear a difference from a few feet away. The real difference is in the thickness of the hoop, with "standard" thicknesses being 2.3mm. I've got a custom NOB 8-lug drum, made with hardware from a Galaxy Sparkle Acrolite, that uses 3mm triple-flanged hoops. That 3mm thickness gives rimshots almost identical to die cast hoops!

-Mark

Latest posts