Is There a Cooler Big-Time Drummer Than ...

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
We could easily make a Top 100 list of reasons why Nicko McBrain is the coolest big-time drummer performing today.

1. Would definitely be the fact that McBrain is his actual name.

2. Might be him playing a gig in Nashville a couple of weeks ago, and then stopping by the Hard Rock Cafe later that night and playing onstage with the tribute band Iron Tribe. (The video's not very good, but it shows he good cheer and unquashable exhuberance).

Let's see No. 3 is being honored by Navy Seals for his work for a foundation benefiting members of that elite fighting unit.

No. 4 is that he wears neither a hat nor dark sunglasses while drumming.

No. 5. is the fact his solo band is named McBrain Damage.

No. 6 is Rock and Roll Ribs, the only reason I'd ever want to be in Florida.

No. 7 is his hot-rodded 1984 Jaguar XJ6 (look it up if you're a car guy).

No. 8 is continuing to play at his level at 67.

No. 9: Never switched to double bass drums.

No. 10: He once had a drum tech named Steve Gadd, I think purposely.

Paradiddle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While Nicko is BA for sure, I find it hard to beat Grohl as the coolest person in all of rock and rock.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back to the topic.
If I could choose 1 "big time *famous drummer", it would be Chad Smith.
He just seems like a cool, down to earth, drummer, with a great sense of humor.
Did anyone watch him interview Ginger? He got through that with a smile on his face. I didn't see him raise a fist once!
Although they went through a carton of cigarettes

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Funny this clip came along just today, and I was going to post it anyway. This seems as good a place as any. Nicko always seems like a really good guy to know. And well, Sonor....
I was having a bit of trouble understanding what Nicko was saying so I click on the closed captions... sheeesh.
I couldn't believe how bad it was... obviously it was computer translated. Also somehow the CC editor popped up so I thought that I would help out and clean it up a bit, 5-hours later....

SAMPLES:
"doing that oh what I see it was the great window star" = Oh that is easy it was the great Ringo Starr
"that one an Omni fantastic in place" = the one and only fantastic Ian Paice
"okay my first drug self bought was a song teardrop" = my first drum set I bought myself was a Sonor Teardrop
"we got the sound of Boise tonight" = have we got the Sonor boys tonight?
"lives was a George Haman silver transect anybody familiar with the George Hammond drunkards you know" = George Hayman silver drum set, anybody familiar with the George Hayman drum set?
"he came up with his I be called a bypass onyx shield" = he came with an idea called the Vibra-Sonic drum shell
"I used the homemade drum set yeah and a Cutlass the car loose" = I used the Hayman drum set and a couple of Stacatto drums

This "fun" is around the 35-min mark... but the spoken interview is before that... until those edits take place it's worth a comedic viewing with CC on.

Last edited:

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
While Nicko is BA for sure, I find it hard to beat Grohl as the coolest person in all of rock and rock.
Yes all those curse words that come out of his mouth every time he opens it is really cool. :icon_e_confused:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My point being that this thread was derailed very early on by others. Should have been axed in the first few posts. The rules are generally the same from forum to forum all over the net. I apologize for keeping this train wreck going. Hence, I deleted my post. The earlier posts should be removed as well.

Last edited:

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Leaving the thread open for now, have deleted all posts that were not within Forum rules and any responses to those oh and I love Nicko
Thank you for that. There was some real trash talk going on, not all at about Nicko or his playing, from people who frankly should know better.

I love this video of Nicko:

Dan

Latest posts