Is there a dvd that is good for going through the rudiments?

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I want to work on them and I'm a senior and self taught. I was going to focus on each for a period of time but i'm looking for a dvd that shows each one. Any of you know of something like that? Thanks

KevinD

Reaction score
I think the Vic Firth website is very good for rudiment practice. There are recordings of each rudiment so you can hear how they sound, and practice along with. The recordings will increase in speed and bring you along from "Bronze" to "Platinum" level.

http://vicfirth.com/40-essential-rudiments/

In other sections there are rudiment pieces that your can read through and play along with.

Actually, their whole education site in general has a lot of great resources.

http://vicfirth.com/education-resource-library/

Last edited:

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands for a Lifetime" will cover a lot of the basic rudiments that will be applicable to general drumming.

Then, I'd really consider watching this free Drumeo lesson from Stanton Moore, as it details how to take a given rudiment and apply it to the kit. In this Stanton Moore video, its a three stroke RLL motif. I took a lesson with Stanton and we talked only about this concept and it really changed my thinking about how I could approach the drums in a musical and creative way using only a few stickings.

Last edited:

Buffalo_drummer

Reaction score
Tommy Igoe's "Great Hands for a Lifetime" will cover a lot of the basic rudiments that will be applicable to general drumming.

Then, I'd really consider watching this free Drumeo lesson from Stanton Moore, as it details how to take a given rudiment and apply it to the kit. In this Stanton Moore video, its a three stroke RLL motif. I took a lesson with Stanton and we talked only about this concept and it really changed my thinking about how I could approach the drums in a musical and creative way using only a few stickings.

I second "Great Hands for a Lifetime", it's one of my go to's when I want to work on my sticking and hand speed. Well thought out and a great challenge for all levels.

drummaman1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
must it be DVD? Stick Control is still in print, last I checked. Master Studies is another one.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is a comprehensive book and dvd that details rudiments and the stick techniques needed to develop them efficiently and accurately. Remember rudiments are not just sticking patterns but are sticking patterns that serve an accent. In order to play the rudiments correctly you have to know where the stick is going next to prepare the next stroke. Jeff Queen details these patterns and the stick movements that make them work. Good Luck!

https://www.amazon.com/Next-Level-Jeff-Queen/dp/B00YW5H7IC

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I wonder if they make something like this that you could see on the computer?
Plenty of clips on youtube of rudimental instruction. Try searching "Essential Drum Rudiments" or "The 40 drum Rudiments"
"Bedrock rudiments" "drum rudimental ritual" etc....
As mentioned, the Vic Firth site has clips too.

snappy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I hadn't thought of putting a TV and DVD player at my drum set. I think I'd watch mostly sports, though.
Sound down on the tv during the playoffs will make practicing even more enjoyable.

stevil

Reaction score
I second the Vic Firth website and Jojo's DVD. I'm going to check out Drum Discipline.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Plenty of clips on youtube of rudimental instruction. Try searching "Essential Drum Rudiments" or "The 40 drum Rudiments"
"Bedrock rudiments" "drum rudimental ritual" etc....
As mentioned, the Vic Firth site has clips too.
Yeah, I do that but I'd like something more constant or sequential. Most of the you tube stuff are clips from a series. Some are incomplete and some are like an advertisement for you to buy the rest of the series.

Tigerdrummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the useful suggestions. I will check them out. You guys are great.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found an awesome source. It has all 40, you click the one you want and it shows you a video of how to play it. It also shows you the notes for each rudiment, and it's free! Maybe some of you guys have seen it before:
http://www.40drumrudiments.com/

Latest posts