Is there a ready-made high hat assembly without a clutch out there?

andrewcarvin

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a ready-made high hat assembly that doesn't have a stand/pedal/clutch.

I'm ambidextrous, and I'd like to have high hats on both sides of my kit, but the stand/clutch assembly takes up a lot of space. I'm envisioning a "normal" high hat assembly on the left side next to the snare, and one on the right side that stays partially open full-time, next to the ride.

Is there something like this out there?

Disclaimer: I am a long-time guitarist who started playing drums a couple years ago for fun. I know next to nothing in terms of orthodoxy, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, it's been asked before, it offends purists, etc... For what it's worth, I did search the forums.

K.O.

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are stand attachments that do that. They'll hold a pair of cymbals in a pre tensioned setting to play like closed or partially opened hi-hats. I have one from Yamaha, I'm sure other brands offer them as well.

Gibraltar for example

amosguy

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think you are looking for a Closed High Hat piece. Can adjust to what you want.
1638292974963.png

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yes, it's called an x-hat. Several manufacturers have been making them since I think the early 80s at least. First I saw was Dave Weckl's.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pacific has a few options. One that attaches to a boom are or L-rod. And one that is already attached to an arm.

Gibraltar has one and they are usually affordable.https://www.gibraltarhardware.com/product/sc-4425xhmb/

DW is usually a bit pricier, but high quality.

Can’t go wrong with Tama. And they have several options available depending on mounting style and budget. https://www.tama.com/usa/products/category/hardware/

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score

JimmyM

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone is aware of a ready-made high hat assembly that doesn't have a stand/pedal/clutch.

I'm ambidextrous, and I'd like to have high hats on both sides of my kit, but the stand/clutch assembly takes up a lot of space. I'm envisioning a "normal" high hat assembly on the left side next to the snare, and one on the right side that stays partially open full-time, next to the ride.

Is there something like this out there?

Disclaimer: I am a long-time guitarist who started playing drums a couple years ago for fun. I know next to nothing in terms of orthodoxy, so I apologize in advance if this is a dumb question, it's been asked before, it offends purists, etc... For what it's worth, I did search the forums.
One thing I've always liked about drummers is they fearlessly ignore purism. Two hi hats isn't exactly extreme and you're in a lot of good company with them.