Is there actually a throne I will like? Looking for recommendations...

Kln_BC

Reaction score
Sorry, long post....

So I played for a couple years then had to step away due to an injury. I recently started playing again and I just can't find a throne I'm happy with...I must be so damn picky lol.

When I started the first time around I was using an office chair to start with and obviously that just doesn't cut it.

First throne I bought was a Gibraltar saddle type throne, not a cheap one, but found it made my boys numb as all hell. I have now found this to be the case with nearly every saddle type seat (except the DW I mention below). Can't ride bikes either lol.

Then I got a round pork pie. It was pretty comfy, but the cushioning was so thick I constantly felt like I was gonna fall off the thing.

Then I got a Yamaha DS950; that's the bench type seat. I actually kind of liked that one, but the way the collar locks is trash (lock screw direct onto the threads....really?)...it was constantly coming loose after like 2 minutes of use. I also felt like I got tired faster on it...I really don't know why. Like I was working against it if that makes sense?

Then I got a Sonor DT6000RT throne...happened across it as a dirt cheap trade in. This was probably the best one of all of them. Was pretty damn nice...super solid and surprisingly nice bouncy cushioning....impossible to find again now though and full retail IF I can is a joke (like $500 in Canada). I don't know why a basic round throne is this expensive...must have some magic mojo. It was good, but doesn't seem like there was anything THAT special about it.

Fast forward to now...in the few months I've been back playing I have tried:

Tama round rider XL hydraulic...was hard as hell and my ass would go numb in minutes so I returned it. Hardware seemed solid, seat felt cheap.

Tama ergo rider, got it cheap/used...it's pretty nice but for some reason just kills my leg where the edge of the seat is. Do like the back rest though.

DW airlift saddle throne. It's quite comfortable but the bump at the front between my legs forces my legs out quite wide and digs into my groin. Thought it was good but this hits hard after 45 minutes or so.

I've tried a bunch at the store. Cheap ones don't feel sturdy enough. Tried a Carmichael and found it terribly uncomfortable. All other saddle thrones I get the numbness. Really stores around me don't stock many thrones it seems, there's not much else I can try unless I order it.

Just for the record, with every single one of these I have tried to change up my setup, seat height, whatever I could to try and make it work. As weird as it sounds, I think I'm just overly sensitive to sitting. I'm super picky about what i put my ass in...while working I stand at my desk...I hate sitting, it's rarely comfortable for me, but I would settle for tolerable lol.

So what now? I have 2 expensive thrones and I have to rotate them every 20 minutes or so just to keep the pain from either at bay.

Last edited:

Kln_BC

Reaction score

Kln_BC

Reaction score
this comes up SO often that we need a permanent roc-n-soc post. get the hydraulic, get the back rest.
I was actually just looking at that on the Long and McQuade website lol. I'd have to special order it but it seems to be pretty widely regarded as one of, if not the best.

Josh Vibert

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I actually don't like the Rock 'N Sock. Hydraulic with backrest also weighs ungodly much to transport regularly. I used to have one. Also played 2hr sets a few times a week for a couple years at a church/missions base that does 24/7/365 worship/prayer. Not every set has a drummer, but there's still probably someone on the kit 8-10hrs/day. Talk about a wet seat! Because of that experience I prefer smooth top thrones as opposed to cloth.

Currently I'm using a round Pork Pie, but as the OP mentions, it's almost too thick. I've also had a Pork Pie Saddle, a Rock n Sock non-hydraulic saddle, and then the cheap throne that came with my beginner kit 25 years ago.

My current preference is for a quality-built version of the simple round throne. I've not started shopping yet, but probably will soon get rid of my Pork Pie and look for something more to my liking. The current throne on the kit I play at church is such a basic one and it only starts to bother me after about an hour (we had a long rehearsal prior to Christmas Eve service).

I have this one for my son to use with his keyboard and honestly it's not too bad:

Kln_BC

Reaction score
I actually don't like the Rock 'N Sock. Hydraulic with backrest also weighs ungodly much to transport regularly. I used to have one. Also played 2hr sets a few times a week for a couple years at a church/missions base that does 24/7/365 worship/prayer. Not every set has a drummer, but there's still probably someone on the kit 8-10hrs/day. Talk about a wet seat! Because of that experience I prefer smooth top thrones as opposed to cloth.

Currently I'm using a round Pork Pie, but as the OP mentions, it's almost too thick. I've also had a Pork Pie Saddle, a Rock n Sock non-hydraulic saddle, and then the cheap throne that came with my beginner kit 25 years ago.

My current preference is for a quality-built version of the simple round throne. I've not started shopping yet, but probably will soon get rid of my Pork Pie and look for something more to my liking. The current throne on the kit I play at church is such a basic one and it only starts to bother me after about an hour (we had a long rehearsal prior to Christmas Eve service).

I have this one for my son to use with his keyboard and honestly it's not too bad:
I don't care much about weight, I don't play out at all right now and probably won't till some of my kids are older lol...it's just for home.

I ALSO don't like cloth tops usually, but it's just a feel thing. Some of them I find I slide around on and it's annoying.

Pretty sure I need a basic round seat with a nice solid base...a back rest would be a bonus. I'm torn on hydraulic or spindle...I like the sturdiness of the spindle, but I think I may prefer the seat that spins...not sure. I have one of each right now and hate both for other reasons so it's hard to judge lol.

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Take the throne that comes closest to what you want to an upholsterer and work with him to sculpt the seat to your preference. If necessary, have him cup the seat under your 'nads.

Good gosh. I never conceived that we would have to go there!

GeeDeeEmm

Kln_BC

Reaction score
Check into Sound Seat Thrones. Very popular amongst artists throughout the musical industry.

Great people to deal with.

Regards, Rudy
I heard a lot about them when I played guitar. Only makes saddle style ones though.

Kln_BC

Reaction score
Take the throne that comes closest to what you want to an upholsterer and work with him to sculpt the seat to your preference. If necessary, have him cup the seat under your 'nads.

Good gosh. I never conceived that we would have to go there!

GeeDeeEmm
LMAO I've thought about altering this DW just to remove the lump in the front...it's like having a basketball between my legs while I play.

Really should just avoid the saddle thrones. I sat on this one for a half an hour in the store and thought it was ok... apparently that wasn't quite long enough.

cruddola

Reaction score
What I did instead of shelling the hard-earned bucks on a drum-brand made throne that's gonna turn to crap mighty soon, most do, is I visited the various used office and medical supply stores around town. I found one that fit the bill perfectly. I can play six-eight hours easily on them. And I'm 65, an old dude. Removed the back and the 5 casters. They got a hydraulic cylinder height-adjustment lever under the pad. Perfect. They were made for dentists. I bought all three of them about over three decades ago at 180 bucks apiece. I'm on my second. The first lasted 16 years. Some folks call them task-chairs. I have an Anvil road case just for my butt-holder. You'd be surprised at how many folks will spend a ton of money on a top-tiered kit and outfit it with a cheapo seat. Comfort is EVERYTHING!

Last edited:

Kln_BC

Reaction score
What I did instead of shelling the hard-earned bucks on a drum-brand made throne that's gonna turn to crap mighty soon, most do, is I visited the various used office and medical supply stores around town. I found one that fit the bill perfectly. I can play six-eight hours easily on them. And I'm 65, an old dude. Removed the back and the 5 casters. They got a hydraulic cylinder height-adjustment lever under the pad. Perfect. They were made for dentists. I bought all three of them about over three decades ago at 180 bucks apiece. I'm on my second. The first lasted 16 years. Some folks call them task-chairs. I have an Anvil road case just for my butt-holder. You'd be surprised at how many folks will spend a ton of money on a top-tiered kit and outfit it with a cheapo seat. Comfort is EVERYTHING!
Man now that is a great idea. I know exactly the ones you're talking about! Obviously doesnt fold up but I don't need that right now.

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm having the same problem lately, I'm just not happy setting on anything, especially during a two hour gig and I just purchased a new Roc N Soc. The old one served me well over the years and I love that thing. I'm becoming to believe it's my personal wear. Old elastic wears out over time, so tomorrow I'll be going to the clothing store for new. So hold off on buying something expensive like I did, you might try doing the same if needed and save the big bucks.

sherm

Latest posts