Is there any difference in brands of tension rods ?

jaymandude

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Getting ready to order from DFD. Wondering why Gibralter is more expensive ? Just add $.23 per rod for the name ?

Not talking DW, or any name brand. Just the basic B flat tension rod.

Thanks

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I dont have any issues with the normal tension rods from dfd. They are all nicely plated, have clean threads and just work. No need to spend more on Gibraltar.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
The ones I have bought from DFD have been very nice. I like the fact that they aren't threaded all the way to the top of the head. I have some Gibraltars that I bought when a local music store was going out of buisness so I got them cheap. They are fine too but most of theirs are threaded all the way and the quality doesn't seem any better than DFD. There are only a handful of companies actually making them tension rods since they are so specialized so in many cases you are looking at the same product. DW's probably come from the same supplier. They just have them make them with different threads.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
The only differences I've ever noticed in rods, other than total/shaft length, is some have the washer loose and others have the washer "built in" and it won't come off. DW has those rods with more threads so they only fit their own lugs (as do some PDP's).......I would see no reason to pay more as I've never had a rod fail.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd say there's some difference in brands; some are cheap junk a key won't fit easily off or on; their 'square' at the top isn't uni-formally square; bad cast etc;
(depending on what make you're working on) preferably find originals or really excellent new ones.
Always good dealings with DFD.

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There were some drum techs of the Pearl forum that swore by the Pearl Stainless Steel tension rods. It made a big difference when they were changing heads every show. Series like the Crystal Beat and Wood Fiberglass have the cheaper tension rods to keep the price down, but those series have issues with the tension rods loosening up and the stainless steel rods made a difference there as well.

REF

Reaction score
The only thing I have noticed with tension rods are the height of the heads. Some are shorter and drum keys don't have as much to grab. Also, thread size. Everything used to be standard 12/24 but, not anymore. Just make sure you match your rods to your lugs. Many are metric threads now and they won't match and thread in. Otherwise there really isn't a need to get a brand name rod.

Splat

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There were some drum techs of the Pearl forum that swore by the Pearl Stainless Steel tension rods. It made a big difference when they were changing heads every show. Series like the Crystal Beat and Wood Fiberglass have the cheaper tension rods to keep the price down, but those series have issues with the tension rods loosening up and the stainless steel rods made a difference there as well.
The problematic rods were probably low carbon metal and the SS has higher alloy elements giving it strength.

Latest posts