Is there anything I can do?

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'll never feel my R foot again, and my skills have went to garbage.
I've made good progress, and I've come up with some techniques that get me cloes, but even a little off will throw everything off.
I can make a video of my foot only, but maybe someone can spot something here.
To a non drummer it may not be noticable, but to me, it makes me want to give up.
I won't! But therr are times....it's a very tough time in my life

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
First, good job playing 16’s in the RH all the way through at that tempo. Not easy! Second, I don’t see any glaring issues with your bass drum playing in that video. The placement and dynamics could be a little more precise and consistent. But, what you do with a numb foot is commendable.

PS: I think you just have to focus on your ears and let your leg and ankle compensate for your foot.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
First, good job playing 16’s in the RH all the way through at that tempo. Not easy! Second, I don’t see any glaring issues with your bass drum playing in that video. The placement and dynamics could be a little more precise and consistent. But, what you do with a numb foot is commendable.

PS: I think you just have to focus on your ears and let your leg and ankle compensate for your foot.
Thanks for the kind words.
That's the problem though, my accuracy. I work, and work on it, but my mind-foot connection isn't there. If I have a click, I am more accurate. Part of the reason I've been using the EAD is the click track rarely works, and it didn't for the last 2 tracks I did. So, I'm a bit hesitant to start using DAW, as for me, I can cheat (so to speak)
I never realized how in synch, and precise everything has to be. It effects every aspect of my playing. I haven't felt in command of the kit in a long time now. Instead of taking it to a tune, I feel like I'm along for the ride, and barley holding on.
ok How's it feel when you switch the bass drum to your left foot
I haven't played double bass in a long time, until recently. I can still play the "Hot for Teacher" shuffle, but my 16ths aren't even. I actually started to learn to play left footed. That may be a thought, and it would really open things up for me kit wise. Then again, I'm 48 years old, and the last 3 years have taken a 10 year toll.
The hardest patterns to play on my R foot are shuffles, and 1/8 notes over 120 (hence the double bass issues)
Thanks for the input, and inquiries!!!!
I'm actually looking to find an occupational therapist, or physical therapist that have delt with this issues.

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words.
That's the problem though, my accuracy. I work, and work on it, but my mind-foot connection isn't there. If I have a click, I am more accurate. Part of the reason I've been using the EAD is the click track rarely works, and it didn't for the last 2 tracks I did. So, I'm a bit hesitant to start using DAW, as for me, I can cheat (so to speak)
I never realized how in synch, and precise everything has to be. It effects every aspect of my playing. I haven't felt in command of the kit in a long time now. Instead of taking it to a tune, I feel like I'm along for the ride, and barley holding on.

I haven't played double bass in a long time, until recently. I can still play the "Hot for Teacher" shuffle, but my 16ths aren't even. I actually started to learn to play left footed. That may be a thought, and it would really open things up for me kit wise. Then again, I'm 48 years old, and the last 3 years have taken a 10 year toll.
The hardest patterns to play on my R foot are shuffles, and 1/8 notes over 120 (hence the double bass issues)
Thanks for the input, and inquiries!!!!
I'm actually looking to find an occupational therapist, or physical therapist that have delt with this issues.
That’s why I suggest using the mind connection to the ankle and leg to compensate for numbness in the foot. It can be done.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Ill check him out. There have been a few 6

drum teachers give me that recommendation too.
One thing I may have going is I'm left footed, and i have been working on dd
That’s why I suggest using the mind connection to the ankle and leg to compensate for numbness in the foot. It can be done.
That's what has gotten me this far. I'll lift my knee, and drop my foot. I judge the rebound, and get my next stroke with my ankle. My foot never leaves the boared. Getting 3 strokes is very difficult, as that's when the ball of my foot comes in to play. So groups of 2 quick aren't too difficult, it's the space between the 2nd, and 3rd strokes that get off most.
Also some doubles are can give me problems, but I'm hopeful i can work through that. Example, playing the "Lido Shuffle" can be difficult due to where my foot falls. Playing Ah -1, or E-& of 4, as it's almost not a natural movement to drop my knee on the E of 4. Dropping in, and using the ankle on the 1/4 notes are easiest (till a certain tempo)
Maybe if I start practicing heel down would strengthen my ankle enough to become more precise?
Hopefully that made sence....your response is right on. I'm going to try playing heel down for a while, and see. Your response made me think.
Thanks!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
No. I mean switch around. LF on bass. RF on hi hat. I don't mean double bass,,
Search Daniel Humair if you want to watch a left footed right handed drummer
I'm going to check him out today as soon as I get a few

Ajbambino

Reaction score
No. I mean switch around. LF on bass. RF on hi hat. I don't mean double bass,,
Search Daniel Humair if you want to watch a left footed right handed drummer
OH sheeet! There's someone else like me out there????

I always got so much crap for my kit setup, but yeah, now I gotta look him up!

Also, Toaster Tee, I'd recommend slowing it down and see if you can do the 16ths on the hi hats with alternating hands instead of single-handed. Once you get that left hand swinging in there, you'll fall right into the pocket. It'll sync up your bass drum foot better and I think lock it in tighter.

Other than that though, you really did awesome man!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
OH sheeet! There's someone else like me out there????

I always got so much crap for my kit setup, but yeah, now I gotta look him up!

Also, Toaster Tee, I'd recommend slowing it down and see if you can do the 16ths on the hi hats with alternating hands instead of single-handed. Once you get that left hand swinging in there, you'll fall right into the pocket. It'll sync up your bass drum foot better and I think lock it in tighter.

Other than that though, you really did awesome man!
I'm sorry you had to go through this too. It's been awful. It's like the dream you're in a fight underwater, but it's real.
I've played with both hands. If played right handed, left handed, alternating hands. It's just not working. I do have better days, but than I have days I can't play 1/8th notes with my foot accurately below 70 bpm, or above 110.
Recording myself has been a great tool, but too often I'll think everything lined up, only to listen to myself, and hear i wasn't close.
I'm going to keep working. I don't quite. Quite the opposite, i become real determined. That sounds like a good thing, but then i can't relax, and everything goes.
You mentioned something about your setup.
What did you change that helped you?

Ajbambino

Reaction score
I'm sorry you had to go through this too. It's been awful. It's like the dream you're in a fight underwater, but it's real.
I've played with both hands. If played right handed, left handed, alternating hands. It's just not working. I do have better days, but than I have days I can't play 1/8th notes with my foot accurately below 70 bpm, or above 110.
Recording myself has been a great tool, but too often I'll think everything lined up, only to listen to myself, and hear i wasn't close.
I'm going to keep working. I don't quite. Quite the opposite, i become real determined. That sounds like a good thing, but then i can't relax, and everything goes.
You mentioned something about your setup.
What did you change that helped you?
Ah man, I love the determination and commitment! Keep it up!

As for my kit, I tried playing the "regular" kit a bunch trying to make it work, and eventually I was like F it. I ended up putting the hi hat on the right side, and play bass drum with my left foot - and basically everything fell right in the pocket for me. So basically an inverted kit/left-handed kit. But I play the hi hat open-handed with my right hand.

Lmao Ill still look at my friend's or go to guitar center (pre-covid) and be like how the F does anyone play this garbage setup??? Then I realize quickly that's how EVERYONE looks at mine. Give it a go and let me know what you think!

Attachments

Ajbambino

Reaction score

As for my kit, I tried playing the "regular" kit a bunch trying to make it work, and eventually I was like F it. I ended up putting the hi hat on the right side, and play bass drum with my left foot - and basically everything fell right in the pocket for me. So basically an inverted kit/left-handed kit. But I play the hi hat open-handed with my right hand.

Lmao Ill still look at my friend's or go to guitar center (pre-covid) and be like how the F does anyone play this garbage setup??? Then I realize quickly that's how EVERYONE looks at mine. Give it a go and let me know what you think!
Oh yeah, there's another floor tom added to that kit next to the hi hat. It works for me just fine, but I know everyone else is all confused and angry against my setup. Live and let live!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

That's what I've actually had in mind.
I've yet to set up like that, but I'm sure it will look somewhat similar?
I use a practice pad for my foot, and it was just showing how off I was R footed. I decided to switch to L foot, and it was so much stronger. The accuracy, and doubles are no where as quick, but my L is coming along much quicker than I'd thought.
I happen to be L footed, so maybe that will help the process.
Thanks for sharing your experiences. You've given me some hope! I really needed that

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Do whatever feels comfortable.

And yeah, like the connection to left foot and right hand is there, but not as tight as you like it. Give it like 2-3 months and then try to go back to normal...you'll be like F that!

Plus, the playing open handed instead of crossing your hands is soooo much easier and posture-wise probably better for you anyways.

Try it out and lemme know what you think and how it treats you!

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I onow Billy Cobham is most famous for open handed playing, but Carter Beauford flawed me as a teen. I realize its going to be quite a bit of work, but I enjoy challenges, and if successful, i believe open handed playing is superior.
In the grand scheme 2-3 months is nothing. I could keep banging my head against a wall, or work on the solution.
Do you continue playing a right handed lead?
May I ask how long did you try to get your R foot working before you decided it was time to try something else?

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Yeah, I really didn't know any of these other drummers as open handed players, or even left-footed right-handed players.

I mean, I gave maybe 9-10 months for R-foot and got it decent, but it always felt forced. For next the L-Foof just felt really organic and natural and comfortable. What took me all that time with my R-foot took the 2-3 months with the Left, and now my left is definitely stronger, quicker, faster, and more comfortable than my right.

Different strokes for different folks though!

As for right-handed leads, it really depends on the fill I'm working on. I'm lucky to say I'm somewhat ambidextrous in that where it never phased me to do a right-hand lead or left-hand lead. But I will say I tried playing the hi hat with the Left hand and snare with right...that lasted about a week before I was like eh, F that....

I think if you give it a go, best case - it might work for you great! Worse case, you have a very very strong left foot and built stronger independence in it, so if you go back to the normal configuration, you'll be a much stronger player and can start to do some crazy shuffles, or jazz, or stuff like the Bonham engine easier and more confident than before.

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Oh yeah, with the whole right hand lead thing...the cool thing is with this configuration, you'll definitely get stronger and if you use the same sticking, you'll definitely have a unique sound. Instead of cascading up, you'll go down, or down instead of up. I practice both ways just to be more independent, but sheeet, it's fun as hell man!

Matched Gripper

Reaction score
I onow Billy Cobham is most famous for open handed playing, but Carter Beauford flawed me as a teen. I realize its going to be quite a bit of work, but I enjoy challenges, and if successful, i believe open handed playing is superior.
In the grand scheme 2-3 months is nothing. I could keep banging my head against a wall, or work on the solution.
Do you continue playing a right handed lead?
May I ask how long did you try to get your R foot working before you decided it was time to try something else?
Billy Cobham plays open handed because he’s a lefty playing with a righty setup.

Toast Tee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm speechless. I did what I believe all of you reccomend, and my foot is close. 1000% better!
I started playing The Immigrant song at tempo, but same garbage. I was speeding up, even to the track.
I remember alot, or all of you mentioning the word SLOW in some context, or another.
I spent about 2 hours at 60 BPM, playing the beats to Immigrant, Out on the tiles, but today was bad. Each was worsd than the last day, with some real bad ones in between. I'd leave practice wanting to quit after almost every practice.
I was slow with my foot, so I'd been trying to compensate by rushing, especially my e-&'s, and Ah'1's.
When i first started ar the very slow tempos to the click I wasn't cloes. After some time playing the same beats over, and over, I'm confident I'll find my pocket again. I was already feeling it.
I've felt like a spoiled fraud since I've been a member here.
THAN EVERYONE for giving their best advice.
This is the best I've felt about my playing in 3 years!
Even my mistakes are landing back on the 1.
I'm psyched

Ajbambino

Reaction score
Never feel like a fraud man, feel confident and proud in yourself that this is such a passion of yours that you're willing to STILL go back to nail it no matter what it takes.

Some people spend their entire lives not carkng about stuff half as much as you did with drums. Proud of ya and wishing ya the best! Let us know how it goes!

Latest posts