Is there hope for this head?

red66charger

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I searched the forum for information on this before creating a new thread. I am interested in knowing if there is a way to clean an old coated drum head. Most of the comments on this subject are "why not just buy a new head?". Well, because I want to use factory branded heads on the resonant sides of my toms.

So...has anyone had success cleaning old heads? I realize one is well used. I cleaned a similar aged head with scrubbing bubbles and it definitely cleaned the surface dirt, but the head still has old marks (it's the head on the brown cloth).

While my Camco heads are coated heads the dirtiest on is pretty smoothed out. It was obviously used as a batter head so I doubt I'll be able to do much with it.

Not sure if any of you are the ones that made this video, but I found this on YouTube where someone is uses Goo Gone Extreme and the results are a little surprising (you may want to turn the sound off...):

Interested to hear if any of you had success cleaning old heads. And if anyone has a clean 13" LA logo'd Camco head, hit me up.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
It crossed my mind, to have the logo if they are Drum centric like yours (or mine that say "Gretsch Broadkaster" looking into rubber ink stamps made to re-stamp New heads, but you'd also still have the drumhead makers stamp also somewhere on the head.
Good Luck with your Clean job it will make a difference. appearance -wise..

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
I've cleaned lots of dirty & marked drumheads using Ajax or Comet powder and a scrub brush.

Sprinkle the Ajax onto the head, get the brush wet and use the circular motion. Let the resulting paste sit on the head for 10 mins, then resume circular scrubbing, rinse and towel dry. That's about all you can do that I know of. Some used heads never release the black stick marks completely.

Gunnellett

Reaction score
Had good results w Mr clean magic erasers and above method as well
Good idea. Never tried a magic eraser on a head but those things work on all sorts things. I thought they were a bit of a gimmick till I tried one but they are great. Cheap and easy to try and if it doesn't work you could use it on something else.

Tanabata

Reaction score
I've cleaned lots of dirty & marked drumheads using Ajax or Comet powder and a scrub brush.

Sprinkle the Ajax onto the head, get the brush wet and use the circular motion. Let the resulting paste sit on the head for 10 mins, then resume circular scrubbing, rinse and towel dry. That's about all you can do that I know of. Some used heads never release the black stick marks completely.
Works for me every time (barkeeper's friend too) though I use one of those scrubbing sponges. I just avoid scrubbing the logo if I want to keep it there.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice job! I've had pretty good success cleaning heads by simply washing them with dish soap in warm water. About 80 percent of dirt comes off that way. In the past I also used Krylon sandable primer to paint old coated heads. This is strictly from my impoverished student days, but it does make crappy old heads look decent towards the end of their useful life.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Dan! Excellent work! I just copied your pictures, along with what you used to clean the head with, into a folder on my computer for future reference.

-Mark

Stretch Riedle

DFO Master
Reaction score
While not as thorough as what you did, I've had a lot of success cleaning any brand coated head with Simple Green. Spray it on, wipe it off while scrubbing a little. Does a pretty decent fast job.

Stretch

GeeDeeEmm

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good job on cleaning the heads. The really bad one looked like a lost cause, but it turned out to look great.

But my real interest is in that Camco tom. Wow! That is one of the prettiest drums I've ever seen. Just gorgeous.

GeeDeeEmm